Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Reese Revolution Questions

I was hooked up this weekend fueling up for our last camping trip of the year and noticed a small gap where the revolution pivots. Has anyone else noticed this? I do have an appointment at the dealer in April (they were booked this fall, and our issues weren't pressing). I will have them look at this anyway but just curious is any one else has seen this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-11-11 13.52.23.jpg   2016-11-11 13.52.17.jpg  
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

I have the same system and the gap is always there no problem. Make sure you follow the maintenance instructions and remove the castle nut and hitch in order to lube the bearing annually.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

I have a Reese Revolution on my 5er. I've never noticed if it has a gap as in the pic. However, I have not looked. On my next outing I will observe at times just to check. Let me ask, can you move it from side to side by hand?

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Bearles, How do you separate the two parts after you get the castle nut off? I wanted to lube the bearing as per owner's manual but could not separate the two parts once I removed the nut. I called the service dept of the dealer where I purchased the RV. I was told they had never heard of lubing the bearing!!!!!

Shorty
Old 11-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Sorry, this isn't about Reese Revolutions; it's about what appears to be an advertisement under Bearles' posting (at least in my browser). The supposed ad says, essentially, to "enjoy life [that is] free from cookies that are full of taste!" Huh? I thought ads intended to promote a product. Why is this saying to munch on cookies that have little or no taste? I'm only half-joking. The company that is apparently trying to sell cookies (Enjoy Life) should fire their ad writers and hire someone who comprehends the English language!
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #6

Mine has the same amount of gap. First noted it this year (season three for this one), but it could have been there before....
Old 11-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

Bearles,
Where did you read to lube the Sidewinder annually?
I just did a lot of searching on Google - found all the manuals for the Sidewinder - and I can't find any statement about an annual lube. In fact everything I read, and everything my dealer told me (not that I always believe them) was that the Sidewinder was "maintenance free".

I did see in one of the manuals where getting to a position where you can lube the plate would involve more than just removing the main bolt. It looks like you would have to take the whole assembly off the 5er and disassemble the 4 bolts that hold it together.

I'm currious however, because after 9 months and about 1,000 miles, mine is starting to make some really loud obnoxious squeals every time I turn.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #8

Yes I can move it pretty easy by hand, I have been able to do that since I bought it. I also thought I heard not to try and take it apart as the bearing is a sealed bearing anyway. I have just been turning the revolution and lubing the top of the part that swivels.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Camping J, Did you purchase your unit new? The reason I ask. I have seen some "You Tube" vids and forum post where individuals would move their Reese Revolution from side to side by hand. After I could not separate the two parts to access the bearing to lube as per the "Reese Revolution Owner's Manuel" and watching the vids of individuals moving it from side to side by hand, I emailed Reese. The answer I got was; Yes, it is recommended to lube the bearing annually, and No, one should not be able to move it side to side by hand. They went on to say, If one can move it by hand the castle nut is not tight enough. I'm still at a loss as to how to separate the two parts to access the bearing. I guess one would need a huge gear puller. Much larger than a average homeowner would own.

BuddyRay, Mine "Pops and Snaps" also. It is always a shock when I start out on a trip, then it seems to warm up and quieten.

Shorty
Old 11-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

To quite the hitch when turning, I spray white lithium grease in between the 2 hitch pieces as directed by Reese in an email.

I too have the gap as seen above. Mine may be a little bigger than the gap shown, but the 355MBQS is heavier....

Reese also told me in an email I should not be able to move mine by hand. I have been able to move it since new by hand. Had the dealer check, and then borrowed some tools from a heavy truck mechanic. Even at 90 ft/lbs, I can still move mine by hand....

I have not followed up with Reese.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

BTW - When your dealer pins the Revolution to make it easier for him to move it around - and then returns it to you with the pins (bolts) still in place, it makes exactly the same squeals and pops. Except they are coming from the pin box bending and the hitch bending.....

Hence having a 3 yr. old Sidewinder on a 4 yr old trailer.

My dealer said that over time the pin box would loosen enough to be able to "gunch" it by hand. After 3 yrs, it still hasn't happened.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #12

In the maintenance section point number 3, last part of the manual states annually disassemble an lubricate. Easy to miss its the last page and last point. Once the castle nut is off the unit requires even balancing and it should "fall" off. It is heavy so have help or a stand to put it on. A google search of Reese revolution maintenance should find a copy of the manual. The bearing dries out and becomes very stiff. This works if you are pivoting at the hitch not at the king pin. If you pivot at the king pin you will need to also remove the bolts that prevent the pivot at the trailer end.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #13

I took my unit back to the storage unit today. When backing into my slot I make an almost 90 degree turn. While it was jack knifed I tried rDay's suggestion and sprayed white lithium grease between the plates (since you can see quite a bit of the plate in that position. I used a spray can with a plastic tube on it to really shoot it in there. I didn't hear a peep from the hitch after that. I'm sure that I didn't get grease into the bearing so I'll have to have the dealer service that every few years. Seems like they could have easily put a grease fitting on that ring that could be reached from the outside. Perhaps excessive maintenance is one reason Jayco has stopped making these pin boxes an option.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
..... Perhaps excessive maintenance is one reason Jayco has stopped making these pin boxes an option.

They have? My 2017 28.5BHXB has the Reese Revolution, as did all the other Jayco 5ers at my dealer.

Funny thing is, I already had a Pullrite Superglide hitch in my tow vehicle, so, I have a pullrite plate installed on the Reese Revolution, and the bolts installed to lock it out (keep it locked straight forward).

Looking at the engineering and the weld quality on the Reese revolution, OMG, what a POS.

I am sure glad that I am depending on the Pullrite Superglide to do all of the pivoting work, instead.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #15
Site Team

I don't see the logic behind locking out a Revolution hitch. That's all it has going for it!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I don't see the logic behind locking out a Revolution hitch. That's all it has going for it!
Because he has an automatic sliding hitch, so it would need locked out or you'd double pivot.

Also if you have a long bed truck, you wouldn't need the pin box to pivot either.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Because he has an automatic sliding hitch, so it would need locked out or you'd double pivot.

Also if you have a long bed truck, you wouldn't need the pin box to pivot either.

Earl
Well, I surmise he already had the slider hitch?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Well, I surmise he already had the slider hitch?
Yes, he stated that in his post, that he already had the auto sliding hitch.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #19

Well I could have sworn I saw a post here a few months back that had a link to a Jayco press release saying they had dropped the Sidewinder as an option. I also remember checking the website at the time and the option was gone.
Did I dream that?

But I just checked the website and the option is back (if it was ever gone).
I wonder if there was some hard-nosed negotiations going on and Reese sweetened the deal.

Ahh well.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank