Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #1

Reese Sidewinder

Any comments regarding the Reese Sidewinder pin box, looking at adding one or a auto slider, pros and cons for whatever choice, interested in opinions regarding the sidewinder for the 2015 Pinnacle

Thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #2

There are few threads on this Forum as of late with comments of being happy with the Sidewinder, but not the chucking as a result of no cushion. If you go with the sidewinder, you might consider the Elite Airborne Sidewinder as an option. This has the 5th Airborne shock as well to ease the impact to the vehicle.

Another thing to consider is the weight of your unit as I believe the Sidewinders top out at 16K, so check compatibility.

Pull a search on Sidewinder and I am sure several recent threads will pop up as a result.

Sorry I can't provide any insight on a slider as I have never used one. I think either way you go is close on the cost though.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

I've never had a slider so can't comment in actual use but I also know I'm lazy and would tell myself I'm good and likely damage something.

The sidewinder doesn't require sliding anything. It just fixes the problem. Sounds perfect. I haven't used it but a few trips so far but I also purchased a new Reese Titan hitch when we got this 5er so go with it it's all rubber damped and has tight dual jaws that was supposedly designed with the sidewinder in mind. I haven't had an issue with chucking that some others have complained of.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #4

I use sidewinder with b&w rvk3600 and it works great. Other option would have been a superglide as I did not want a manual slider. Superglide is heavier and I wanted the b&w jaws. Downside is they didn't make a fifth airborne sidewinder rated over 16k...wish they did as I had to give up my mor ryde pinbox for the sidewinder.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

I used a Sidewinder for 3 seasons. Something critical to remember is to re-torque the 4 turret bolts to 45 ft/lbs on a regular basis, say every 1000 miles, as they tend to loosen while towing. Aside from being non-cushioned, the other issue is that I was not able to raise mine in the mounts as the mount wings prevented it from rotating. As a result, I had to replace mine with a MorRyde after trading my F150 for an F350 because I was so nose high.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

I've commented before, so you may want to do a search.

In my case, weight was critical for my rig, so I ordered the Revolution with my fifth. Saved a lot of weight over getting a slider. Net cost came out much cheaper, too.
The Revolution tows very well, I've had no issues with chucking, or other drivability issues. Backing and turns are fine, although I don't have any experience with "regular" hitches. Yes, I have gotten myself into very severe jackknives with my 6.5 box, and there was no risk of cab to fifth contact.

Because it uses a steel wedge to lock the pin to the hitch, and instead pivots behind the hitch, it is possible to have the Revolution angle off from the trailer. This can make lining up harder. The pin box itself has to be dead on straight with the truck and hitch, even if it is not square to the trailer.
To the point where because the truck was not square to the fifth, with the tailgate down, a corner of the tailgate made contact with the fifth. I learned how to repair fiberglass from that. I now back up until the pin almost contacts the hitch, then get out and close the tailgate, and then finish the hookup.
There's a balance between having the pivot correctly tight, yet just barely loose enough so that you can manhandle it to correct a severe off angle.

It has a provision to pin the rear pivot, turning it essentially into a conventional pin box. My dealer routinely pins it, then uses his tractor to move the unit around the lot. (no need to mess with the wedge). MAKE SURE, in those cases, to remove the bolts that pin the pivot! He didn't one time, and I happily drove home with the rear pivot locked, and the front pin wedged to the hitch. It made a just few more groaning noises than normal. Dealer had to pick it up at my house, replace the main pin box, the Revolution, the entire hitch, and pay a frame shop to make sure my truck wasn't tweaked! Amazing the amount of bent steel!

One other plus - no grease allowed for the hitch! Since nothing pivots at the hitch, you don't need grease or teflon to lube things. Just some on the pin itself to aid in hooking up/unhooking. Keeps me much less messy when I pull my hitch out to use the truck for other things.

Would I buy again? Yes! The cost/weight savings make up the bit more hassle in hitching up.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
I've commented before, so you may want to do a search.

In my case, weight was critical for my rig, so I ordered the Revolution with my fifth. Saved a lot of weight over getting a slider. Net cost came out much cheaper, too.
The Revolution tows very well, I've had no issues with chucking, or other drivability issues. Backing and turns are fine, although I don't have any experience with "regular" hitches. Yes, I have gotten myself into very severe jackknives with my 6.5 box, and there was no risk of cab to fifth contact.

Because it uses a steel wedge to lock the pin to the hitch, and instead pivots behind the hitch, it is possible to have the Revolution angle off from the trailer. This can make lining up harder. The pin box itself has to be dead on straight with the truck and hitch, even if it is not square to the trailer.
To the point where because the truck was not square to the fifth, with the tailgate down, a corner of the tailgate made contact with the fifth. I learned how to repair fiberglass from that. I now back up until the pin almost contacts the hitch, then get out and close the tailgate, and then finish the hookup.
There's a balance between having the pivot correctly tight, yet just barely loose enough so that you can manhandle it to correct a severe off angle.

It has a provision to pin the rear pivot, turning it essentially into a conventional pin box. My dealer routinely pins it, then uses his tractor to move the unit around the lot. (no need to mess with the wedge). MAKE SURE, in those cases, to remove the bolts that pin the pivot! He didn't one time, and I happily drove home with the rear pivot locked, and the front pin wedged to the hitch. It made a just few more groaning noises than normal. Dealer had to pick it up at my house, replace the main pin box, the Revolution, the entire hitch, and pay a frame shop to make sure my truck wasn't tweaked! Amazing the amount of bent steel!

One other plus - no grease allowed for the hitch! Since nothing pivots at the hitch, you don't need grease or teflon to lube things. Just some on the pin itself to aid in hooking up/unhooking. Keeps me much less messy when I pull my hitch out to use the truck for other things.

Would I buy again? Yes! The cost/weight savings make up the bit more hassle in hitching up.
What hitch are you using?
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #8

I've done some research on these because we're in the same boat with a Ram Short Box. Everything read has led me to the B&W RVK3600 which comes right out as easy as pie when not being used

Companion OEM - 5th Wheel Hitch - Fits Ram Puck System | Puck Mounted Attachment | THE B&W ADVANTAGE

and the Reese Elite 5th Airborne.

5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret - 16,000 lbs Reese Fifth Wheel King Pin RP61422

The reason we didn't just go with the Revolution is because of the potential chucking and jarring. The Airborne has some dampening whereas the Revolution has none. There tends to be some motion sickness in our family with any constant side to side or back to front movement and this pair is supposed to almost completely eliminate it.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
What hitch are you using?
Reese Titan 16K. Comes apart, so pretty easy to unload from the truck. Downside is that it does need conventional rails.

BTW - B&W will not warranty their hitches if you use a Sidewinder/Revolution/Airborne (all from Reese, different names for different models)
From the FAQ's on their web site: "Any product that prevents the king pin from rotating within the jaws of the Companion with a wedge or other device and moves the center of rotation to a point other than the locking jaws should not be used with the Companion." "Doing so will void our warranty"
Old 03-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Reese Titan 16K. Comes apart, so pretty easy to unload from the truck. Downside is that it does need conventional rails.

BTW - B&W will not warranty their hitches if you use a Sidewinder/Revolution/Airborne (all from Reese, different names for different models)
This is false. B&W is fine with using a revolution/sidewinder with the rvk 3600 puck hitch (or the ford puck hitch). It does not affect the B&W warranty at all. They do NOT recommend using their companion hitch (that attaches via turnover ball) with the revolution/sidewinder. I have spoken to them about this before I bought my combo last year. They also state this on their website now.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
This is false. B&W is fine with using a revolution/sidewinder with the rvk 3600 puck hitch (or the ford puck hitch). It does not affect the B&W warranty at all. They do NOT recommend using their companion hitch (that attaches via turnover ball) with the revolution/sidewinder. I have spoken to them about this before I bought my combo last year. They also state this on their website now.

I also spoke to them just this past week as a matter of fact and they advised me of the same thing.

Additionally, when I made the purchase at etrailer they recommended them as a pair due to the way they compliment each other.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #12

I have also confirmed after talking to B&W that they will warranty their non gooseneck hitches when using the Reese Sidewinder. In my case I asked them specifically about the RVK3600 for my Ram and they said I'm good to go and warranty will be fine.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #13

Just to note, my quote was directly a cut-n-paste from their website on the day I posted it. If considering B&W, you might be advised to confirm as others have done.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #14

I confirmed with them the rail mount Patriot hitch is fine with the Sidewinder. They do recommend the hitch specific wedge.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #15

Heres a question I asked at etrailer. Also, the comments about not using the B&W with the sidewinder apply to the B&W 5th-wheel trailer hitch, not the B&W Companion.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 10.20.42 AM.png  
Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #16

Keep in mind the sidewinder is rated for 16k and your Pinnacle GVWR is 15250.
Cutting it close.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #17

My sidewinder is 19k, so they do go high enough for some margin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #18

I think it's the sidewinder with 5th Airbourne that is low.
Unless the 16k was the only one listed with the place I was looking at.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #19

^^^you are correct. I wanted a fifth airborne but my rig is 16500 gvwr and I go right up to it so the airborne wouldn't work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk