Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Refrigerator Gas

Why would one want a residential refrigerator. After looking at NP 2018 changes they upgrade to a 1200W inverter & did I read residential refrigerators only? That means it pulls 100 amps off the battery at times. Without shore power that is a big suck on the battery or if pulled over when connected to the tow a suck on the 5er & Tow batteries without an isolator just to keep the beer cold? Obviously dry camp is out of the question with this refrigerator.

Tell my why all of this is worth more money? I did add an inverter but for the TV.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #2

Those that never boondock, those that stay on a permanent site and those that always have power where they camp. I myself couldn't use a residential fridge. I boon a lot. Also my trips are always two plus hours away, which would put the hurt to the coach batteries. Everyone is different with different needs. Some people would think we are crazy for not wanting a residential fridge where we think those that do are. Lol if the unit only came with a residential fridge, that would stop me from buying it.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

Fridge-Residential or LP?

I am struggling with the decision also as I decide on options to order on a new 5er. Looking at the size of the wiring from the tv to the camper I can't believe the tv alternator is enough to run the fridge while going down the road? Unless you have a generator no boondocking even overnight at waalmart. What are the advantages of a residential fridge except bigger?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

When I went to our local RV show almost every one of luxury had a residential fridge so none of them must intend to travel with their camper or the salesman does not care that may not be the correct option for you.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #5

Visiting the RV show last year I noted that most larger units had the residential fridge. It'd be nice to have but I cant see powering it while under way.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

Just got off the phone with another RV manufacturer. They are saying the gas absorption type is about $2K more. Not sure of Jayco's pricing. They claim you can get 6 to 12 hrs of inverter power to the fridge with 2 batteries. Not sure how long before batteries deplete with a little charge coming from the tv alternator while travelling. I guess other options are a small generator or more batteries just for fridge.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #7

My In Laws have a Big Horn with residential fridge. They live in the camper all summer. Most of the time it is in our back yard and they have full hookups. So it is fine then and the large space is nice for day to day living. They do a couple bigger trips a year normally but pretty much always have full hookups. We do go to a family spot along a small river and there it is boondocking. He has the pair of Honda 2K inverters with aux fuel cell but it only takes one to run the fridge. They both use CPAP machines anyhow so the generator is running anyhow along with most the other campers. My 25BH came with the optional outdoor kitchen. That is 110v only granted it isn't very big. I have the larger gas fridge inside but I can only use the outside one on shore power.

Really it comes down to how people use their camper. I agree it is more common with the lux models but those people are more glamping than camping. The reason there is so many different makes, models, shapes and sizes is because there is no one way to "camp". For a long time I would look at the RV campgrounds where everyone is 10' apart and say that isn't camping as I grab my backpack and the only sleeping accommodations were a hammock and a poncho to protect from rain. That was my home for the better part of 6 years while on active duty in the Infantry. Now I am on our second travel trailer.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

The gas model is still an option.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #9

Just checked the nameplate on a refrigerator is a camper I am considering. Max amps is 3.0. An Interstate HD24-DP Marine/RV battery is rated 75 amp-hrs. Their website says that battery will supply 5 amps for 11.6 hrs from actual tests. My camper will have 2 of these batteries so I think I am good with the residential fridge setup.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
Just checked the nameplate on a refrigerator is a camper I am considering. Max amps is 3.0. An Interstate HD24-DP Marine/RV battery is rated 75 amp-hrs. Their website says that battery will supply 5 amps for 11.6 hrs from actual tests. My camper will have 2 of these batteries so I think I am good with the residential fridge setup.
3 amps on 120v. The inverter will draw more than 3 amp from the batteries. It's not equal. The DC side will always get hit harder. It could be double, triple or more. Inverters aren't an efficient means of making 120v. The draw on the batteries will be higher than the 120v load.

Earl
Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #11

It appears to me there won't be near 100A load on the batteries but the actual load might be where one could expect maybe 12 hrs on a couple of batteries. I am not very familiar with RV inverters. My only experience with inverters is with variable frequency industrial drives and they are fairly efficient.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

No, no where near 100 amp draw but definitely more than 3 amp. From what I read on here most only get a few hours while on the road even with the truck putting a small amount of charge back into the batteries. The inverter draws more than the trucks tiny charge circuit can keep up with. All depends how many and how large the batteries are. How long the fridge runs and how often it cycles. If it goes into frost mode. If you throw warm items in before hitting the road. Lots of variables.

Earl
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #13

3amps on ac side is 30 amps on 12V DC 30*12=360 amp hours. But I would suspect that the draw is for 1/2 the time less as the compressor cycles on or 180 amp hours.
industrial inverters convert AC to DC then chop it up into AC at varying speeds. This type of inverter must convert 12V DC to a higher DC level then chop it up to AC 60HZ using transistors. My Go Power 1000W inverter works well.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
3amps on ac side is 30 amps on 12V DC 30*12=360 amp hours. But I would suspect that the draw is for 1/2 the time less as the compressor cycles on or 180 amp hours.
industrial inverters convert AC to DC then chop it up into AC at varying speeds. This type of inverter must convert 12V DC to a higher DC level then chop it up to AC 60HZ using transistors. My Go Power 1000W inverter works well.
It is a lot more when that fridge goes into DEFROST mode, that will bring the battery(s) down to their knees.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote