Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Replacement for my Towmax Tires

I have had my Eagle Premier 361 REQS for a little less than 2 years, and 10 trips. I just noticed that the factory installed Towmax tires on the entry side looked a bit odd. I took it to my dealer and he says the tread is starting to separate. Great! So I have been reading and understand this is a somewhat common problem with ST tires - especially those from China. I am considering changing to LT Tires but my rims are only rated to 80 psi and some of the LT Tires recommend as much as 110 psi inflation. Anyone have recommendations? I have also heard that the Maxxis ST tires are pretty good. From what I've read, and now experienced, I am not comfortable with the Towmax tires. I have previously experienced a blowout in my last TT and don't want to go through that again if possible. For what its worth I do constantly monitor the pressure and keep them at 80 psi and keep them covered when not traveling.
Cheetah053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Team

I would put the Maxxis 8008's on there before the next trip.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #3

Your unit is also the perfect candidate for the 17.5" upgrade. There are several threads here discussing that option.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Team

That is a great idea but most don't want to drop 3-$4000.00 on the upgrade.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

From what I have read ST tires should always be ran at maximum tire pressure. Where LT tires can be ran at a lower than max tire pressure. LT tire manufactures have a chart to tell you what tire pressure you should inflate to for any given load. I would look at your load and look to see if you can determine if you can operate them within your rim’s operating range. You might also be able to locate used TT rims at a good price.

Personally, if I could run LTs I would. Unfortunately LTs do not fit under my HTT.

Trailer Tire Facts & Information | Trailer Tire Applications | Discount Tire

Trailer Tire Facts
Trailer Tire Applications
• Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.
Inflation
Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.

• Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.
Load Carrying Capacity
• All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.
• The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.
The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.

If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.

• If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.
Speed
• All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.
Time
• Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.

• It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
• Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
• The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.
Why Use An "ST" Tire
• "ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
• The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
• The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
• "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.
Storage
• The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
• Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
• Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
• For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.
Maintenance
• Clean the tires using mild soap and water.
• Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.
• Inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.
• Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.
Keys to Avoiding Trouble
• Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.
• Maintain the tires meticulously.
• Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.
Trailer Tire Warranty
• The Carlisle trailer tire warranty applies to the original purchaser for three years from the date of purchase or until the tread depth reaches 3/32".
• The OE (original equipment) warranty goes into effect at the time of the trailer purchase

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

I'd like to see more information on this. I did a search for 17.5 upgrade and 17.5 Wheel Upgrade but I didn't see anything. I'll keep looking for the threads.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:03 AM   #7

We recently replaced our Towmax tires with Goodyear Marathon. (only ones I could get at the time while traveling). This all happened after a blow out with the Towmax. We had already replaced one of these tires because it was separating. Fortunately the damage was not great. When the rest of the Towmax tires were taken off, one was ready to blow and the others showed signs of separation. For us to go with a heavier tire, we would have to buy new rims, which we may do in the future.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
Site Team

I know of one who has them and is very happy with the upgrade. I think he ordered them on a new rig.( not Jayco) after experiencing many tire troubles.
-------------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2013, 04:11 PM #15
drfife

I had 8 (eight) ST tires failures on my previous travel trailer over a period of 6 years.

The first 3 were North American made Goodyear Marathon 15" load range D tires. After conversations with a Goodyear exec, they sent 4 new Goodyear Marathon load range D tires, also made in North America.

I was not overloaded. I weighed the rig multiple times and have RVSEF documentation to prove individual wheel weights.

I checked the tire pressure before every tow.

I never towed in excess of 65 mph.

Less than 2 years later, 2 of the replacement Marathon ST's D's had failed.i replaced those with Carslile ST load range E. Over the next 2 years, 3 of those failed.

When those failed I replaced them one at a time with Maxxis ST E's. Never had a Maxxis fail.

I'm disgusted the tire manufacturers blame this on the consumer. I did everything according to the book and still had problems. Maybe it's because I live in Texas and the pavement is hot (almost all failures occurred on hot days). Maybe it's because I tow 10K miles per year.

I think the ST tires are poorly designed and made as cheaply as possible to keep costs down.

When I ordered my current 5th wheel I specified 17.5" commercial Michelin LT tires. I'm confident I won't have the same problems with these LT tires.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah053 View Post
I'd like to see more information on this. I did a search for 17.5 upgrade and 17.5 Wheel Upgrade but I didn't see anything. I'll keep looking for the threads.
Try Trailer Tires and Wheels - Steel & Aluminum Trailer Wheels, Bias & Radial Trailer Tires. I ordered a set of 4 wheels with Goodyear G114 tires yesterday. With shipping to Houston, the cost was $2465. That's a lot I know but I'll rest easier knowing I've got more margin on my loaded trailer and way less likelihood of a tire-related breakdown. The best part is how quickly they shipped. When I checked this morning, the expected day for delivery is Tuesday. Now that's PDQ!

p.s. Thanks to Cariboocreek for all his help

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #10

I would contact Jayco on this issue and have your dealer or you take photos to support as you may obtain some help. I recently had the same issue and noticed a bad tire that was going to blow for sure due to a bubble and belt seperation. Went with the Maxxis 8008's so we will see.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:26 AM   #11

Yes the 17.5" upgrade isn't cheap. I went with the High Spec aluminum rims (130 psi rated) with the Goodyear G114 tires (rated for 4850 lbs). Ordered from Trailer Tire and Wheel.com. Service was great. It is a straight forward bolt on modification with no downside, other than the cost. Clearance should not be an issue as the size difference between your stock 16" tires and the 17.5" is minimal. As a bonus the G114's are also a 75 mph rated tire. You will be impressed at how much tire the G114 is when you look at one up close.

For added peace of mind many rv'ers have also installed a tire pressure monitoring system on their units as well.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #12
Site Team

I put G614's on my rig after bad results with E rated Marathons. I also have a TST monitoring system.

My rims were rated for 110psi. If not, I would have likely bought the 17.5 upgrade.

I am completely satisfied with the G614's.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #13

Check your rim rating and select the Maxxis M8008 tire that meets that max psi rating. Before you take my word on this do a search for problems/issues with Maxxis tires. If you find one post it here.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I put G614's on my rig after bad results with E rated Marathons. I also have a TST monitoring system.

My rims were rated for 110psi. If not, I would have likely bought the 17.5 upgrade.

I am completely satisfied with the G614's.

That's what started me down the 17.5" path. If my rims had been rated for 110psi I would have just gone with the G614's. Unfortunately mine weren't and if I had to replace rims they might as well be good ones.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

Thanks for all of your comments. My dealer contacted Jayco yesterday and they authorized him to replace the two Towmax tires that are bad at no cost to me. So, we will go on our weekend camping trip next week but then I am going to contact Trailers Tires and Wheels to look into 17.5" upgrade. Thanks to cariboocreek for bringing this to my attention. It looks like a lot of money but the peace of mind will be worth it.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah053 View Post
Thanks for all of your comments. My dealer contacted Jayco yesterday and they authorized him to replace the two Towmax tires that are bad at no cost to me. So, we will go on our weekend camping trip next week but then I am going to contact Trailers Tires and Wheels to look into 17.5" upgrade. Thanks to cariboocreek for bringing this to my attention. It looks like a lot of money but the peace of mind will be worth it.
It looks like your in Manitoba. Just an FYI that the exchange on the dollar is going to hurt you on this. In Canadian funds I was into this (shipping/brokerage/GST included) for under $4k. If you had a US address to ship to then they will ship for free and you would save the $150 on the broker. The shipping cost me $400 to get it to Calgary.

It was still worth it. I also have a brand new (less than 500 miles) set of Towmax tires and factory spoked rims I would sell......
Old 07-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
It looks like your in Manitoba. Just an FYI that the exchange on the dollar is going to hurt you on this. In Canadian funds I was into this (shipping/brokerage/GST included) for under $4k. If you had a US address to ship to then they will ship for free and you would save the $150 on the broker. The shipping cost me $400 to get it to Calgary.

It was still worth it. I also have a brand new (less than 500 miles) set of Towmax tires and factory spoked rims I would sell......
Actually I live in Mississippi. Hey, at least they both start with an M.