Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

Replacing 7-way trailer end wire harness

Does anyone know how and where to access the wire connections in order to replace the trailer end cable on a 2004 Designer 29RLTS ? Discovered a spot where the previous owner evidently spliced the cable, and want to replace it. I assume there must be a panel to remove up under the front overhang, but don't know which one. Thanks
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Look where the wire goes into the hitch. Most I have ever seen terminate in a metal 4 inch electrical box. Easy to change the trailer pigtail out.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #3

Norty1 - I looked where you suggested, but the cable goes up into the pin box, is secured with a clip, and then disappears above one of the exterior panels. Don't see any terminal box. There are three panels under the overhang and the side panels are bolted under the corner moldings, and look like a major job to get off. The center panel is lipped on each side under the side panels, and also looks like a big deal to get off. Was trying to figure out how to take off one panel without taking them all off, but not sure where to start, without messing something up.
Retired at last !

Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

The box could be inside and behind a panel in the living quarters. Maybe behind a drawer, cabinet or cover panel. Look for an access point near where it goes under the outside panel and then look inside for a possible access point. They make them hidden but not impossible to service.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #5

It shouldn't be that hard to trace down. The pigtails including the ones that you buy are only 7' in length, so they can't go very far before they are connected. You may have to remove a panel or two.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
Norty1 - I looked where you suggested, but the cable goes up into the pin box, is secured with a clip, and then disappears above one of the exterior panels. Don't see any terminal box. There are three panels under the overhang and the side panels are bolted under the corner moldings, and look like a major job to get off. The center panel is lipped on each side under the side panels, and also looks like a big deal to get off. Was trying to figure out how to take off one panel without taking them all off, but not sure where to start, without messing something up.
You are right on. I was visualizing my old SunnyBrook, which was easily accessible from below. After looking around, I do not see any way to access it easily.

If I was replacing it, I believe I would install a box up inside the hitch and re-terminate it into the old line.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

After checking for an inside access panel, with no luck, I called Jayco to see if they had an answer. They said that there is no easy way on this unit to get to the junction box. To do so, the trim strips (front, rear, and side) covering the joints of the driver side panel under the overhang would have to be removed to get the panel down and expose the box. Definitely a major job from my standpoint. They also agreed that there was no way to access from the inside. So, I was considering Norty1's suggestion to install my own second junction box under the hitch. 'Bout that time, my dear wife Gayle decided to make a suggestion - see if the undamaged portion of the cable was long enough to reach the connection in the side of the truck bed including sharp turns. If so, why not just cut the cable at the damaged point and install a new connector there. Checking the length, lo and behold, it WAS long enough ! Well DUH, why didn't I think of that before ???? So, once again, the better half has proven her worth. Problem solved, without taking most of the front of the trailer apart. What would I do without her ???
Retired at last !

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Site Team

It will work but may be a source of future problems due to use and moisture. If I ever have to replace mine, I will likely splice a new box in.

Mine came unplugged once and ruined the plug (another rig) and the replacement plug was never trustworthy. Just saying..
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #9

Norty1 - regarding moisture problems, are you referring to having an installed plug rather than a molded one ? If so, wouldn't waterproof gel in the hole where the cable enters the plug help prevent the moisture problem ? If not, do you think this is not a good idea ? Just asking - I always listen to as many opinions as I can, and try to pick the best one.
Retired at last !

Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
Site Team

In that case, you best go with your wife's opinion. LOL

Nothing wrong with trying that. I did not put anything on the plug to waterproof it. On my truck, I get an indication in the cab if the brakes are not connected properly and we check the light at every departure.
Gator roll-up bed cover