Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Residential Fridge Trouble

Good day,

Just picked up our 2017 377rlbh today at the dealer. Drove from New Mexico to Iowa to pick it up. Everything went well during the PDI. However, we stopped over in Salina, KS tonight on the way back to NM and now I have no power to the fridge after setting up camp. We're on shore power and everything else seems to be working properly (A/Cs etc.). Checked the fuse box and flipped the breaker for the fridge on and off...nothing. Tested the gfi plug in the kitchen and reset it...nothing.

I'm probably overlooking something simple...should have paid a little more attention during that part of the PDI! Maybe I need to turn it on somewhere?

Any thoughts?
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

I'd double check that the plug didn't come undone, if not check that the outlet has power to it.
Make sure it's turned on too!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

I got my TT in Iowa too. Thompson Family RV. About 1200 miles away.

Off subject. FYI Make sure you tighten your wheel bearings and adjust your brakes soon after you get back (I went on a couple 200 mile trips after I got back home) home. Mine were loose and needed to be tightened.

Not a big deal but it's often overlooked in a new trailer.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
I'd double check that the plug didn't come undone, if not check that the outlet has power to it.
Make sure it's turned on too!
Thanks, Jhowemca. Pulled the drawer out again and hooked my DW's haird dryer up to the plug...no power. The gfi plug on the island is working.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
I got my TT in Iowa too. Thompson Family RV. About 1200 miles away.

Off subject. FYI Make sure you tighten your wheel bearings and adjust your brakes soon after you get back (I went on a couple 200 mile trips after I got back home) home. Mine were loose and needed to be tightened.

Not a big deal but it's often overlooked in a new trailer.
I will definitely do that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #6

There is a reset on the side of the transfer switch, push it.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #7

On my way through Great Bend, KS today, I stopped in to the local Jayco dealer...Harper Camperland. Was there all of 10 minutes...a very helpful lad at the service desk shoewed me how to turn on the inverter in the hallway. Worked like a charm. I knew it was going to be something simple, just didn't know it was going to be that simple!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #8

But if you are hooked up to shore power, there shouldn't be any reason to have your inverter on to run your fridge.

Frank

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab w/Reese 20k Slider

2016 Jayco North Point 375BHFS

2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK (Traded!)

2003 R-Vision TrailCruiser (Traded!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfire152 View Post
But if you are hooked up to shore power, there shouldn't be any reason to have your inverter on to run your fridge.

Frank

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab w/Reese 20k Slider

2016 Jayco North Point 375BHFS

2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK (Traded!)

2003 R-Vision TrailCruiser (Traded!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm....back home now. I'll fiddle with it tonight. I was just happy to see it come on and assumed inverter on = fridge on and that's how it worked. I'll plug in here at home and see what happens.

Thanks, Frank.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfire152 View Post
X-2 The inverter has a built in transfer switch and should automatically connect to shore power even with the switch off.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2 The inverter has a built in transfer switch and should automatically connect to shore power even with the switch off.
Thanks, Grumpy. Is that transfer switch on the inverter itself? You mentioned resetting it in an earlier post.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #12

It's internal to the transfer switch. If the fridge works with the inverter on sounds like shore power is not getting to it. Not sure if pushing the reset on the side will help.

The owner's manual for the inverter should be in your owner's packet.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #13

If you're sure the breaker for the fridge is working properly, then pop the front cover off the inverter. The boys on the floor just marrett the wires together inside (at least on mine they did) and they don't really care if they did a good job. Your wire probably fell out.
You will see the screw connector buss inside, that they are suppose to put the wires under, that is clearly labeled...make sure they did it right.

Unplug your shore power first and turn off the inverter.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
If you're sure the breaker for the fridge is working properly, then pop the front cover off the inverter. The boys on the floor just marrett the wires together inside (at least in mine they did) and they don't really care if they did a good job. Your wire probably fell out.
You will see the screw connector buss inside, that they are suppose to put the wires under, that is clearly labeled...make sure they did it right.

Unplug your shore power first and turn off the inverter.
Thanks, Klassic. I'll be diving into the issue tonight. I'll let you all know what I found.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #15

I must be the only one, I always read all the owners manual's, even though I know every thing already
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #16

If I remember correctly the button in the hallway switches the fridge from shore power using inverter to your TowVehicle power thru your power connect while towing. If you plug into shore power without pushing that button to turn off battery power from your TowVehicle then it confuses the switch and doesn't work. During my walk thru they explained to turn off during both phases, hook up and unhook. So you are on battery power while driving using your alternator to keep trailer batteries charged and Fridge in on 12 V, when you park you are still on battery power, push button to turn off switch then plug in to shore power, then push button again. Now you are on 120 v. That's how mine operates. Hope that helps.

Dave
Dave & Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Cheryl View Post
If I remember correctly the button in the hallway switches the fridge from shore power using inverter to your TowVehicle power thru your power connect while towing. If you plug into shore power without pushing that button to turn off battery power from your TowVehicle then it confuses the switch and doesn't work. During my walk thru they explained to turn off during both phases, hook up and unhook. So you are on battery power while driving using your alternator to keep trailer batteries charged and Fridge in on 12 V, when you park you are still on battery power, push button to turn off switch then plug in to shore power, then push button again. Now you are on 120 v. That's how mine operates. Hope that helps.

Dave
Huh?

Make it easy on yourself, leave the button on and don't touch it.
The inverter has an automatic transfer switch. It will figure out the long winded explanation your dealer gave you on its own.
Maybe some one should explain how it works to your dealer
Old 08-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #18

Fiddled with the inverter a bit last night, with no luck. Looked through the owners manual and it says that if you have no output voltage with shore power connected it could be one of three things:

1. Shore power has dropped below 90 V.
2. GFCI has tripped
3. 15 A supplementary circuit breaker has tripped.

I've tried two different sources of shore power now with the same result.
I reset the supplementary circuit breaker on the unit and rechecked my breakers inside the fifth wheel.

The GFI plug in the kitchen is working. I reset again last night and that didn't help.

I called Xantrex and they recommend a hard reset (disconnect from all power sources and let it set for an hour). I'll try that tonight.

Working in the IT field I know that people get told all of the time to reboot their computer when they have a problem. That's usually followed by something like..."call us back if that doesn't work." Maybe they'll call back maybe they won't. I think that's what just happened to me on my call with Xantrex.

Someone recommended pulling the cover off the inverter to see if everything was connected, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that that would void your warranty...not sure if they can tell if the cover has been removed and I'm not very savvy with electricity, so I hate to make the situation worse.

Is there more than one GFI plug in the 377s? I could only locate the one in the kitchen?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #19

I'd get a appliance extension cord, plug into the GFCI in the kitchen.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #20

The cover is just a plastic access cover. There is actually suppose to be receptical in its spot, but jayco removes it and puts a solid cover over it. They won't be able to tell you removed it.
After you take out the screws it has pressure clips that hold it in too you need to pry it a little.

I bet your wire is loose under there, or they didn't get the one wire under the screw terminal good enough.

Don't be afraid to look under that cover.
Again, shut off the power and the battery.

Tags
377rlbh, refrigerator, residential fridge