Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator on 36 RLTS

Hi guys,

We are fulltiming on our 2006 Jayco Designer 36 RLTS. Our Norcold N1095 just went out. We have been on a cooler and ice for 4 days now and atleast for a week longer. We ordered a replacement, but it won't be ready to pick up till then.

We are replacing it with a residential Frigidaire FFET1022QB. According to the dimensions on the manual, it will fit the refrigerator space perfectly... except for a 1in. trim on the left side trim.

My husband thinks that this RV is not capable of running a residential fridge. He says we will have to rewire the outlet. I am confused (I'm not electrically or technically savy at all). Everything I've read online says it is just as simple as connecting the residential fridge where the Norcold was plugged in. Nothing is said about outlet/wiring incompatibility. I've read a lot about inverters and extra batteries for traveling on the road and boondocking... but that's a whole other topic.

My questio to y'all is... do we have to rewire anything to use the RR while onshore power? Can we just plug it in to the old fridge's outlet?

I included pics of the outlet we need to plug into and the Frigidaire's owner manual... also, our current icebox situation.

I look forward to any responses.

Thanks in advance,
BB
Attached Thumbnails
20170608_135607-1.jpg   20170608_144439-1.jpg   Screenshot_2017-06-07-22-16-06.jpg  
BBsJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

It all depends on what else is on that circuit and what new fridge needs. PIC is too dark to read for me.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #3

Grumpy, thanks for your reply. The receptacle reads 15A.-125V.

I uploaded the incorrect image of the manual. I updated with correct one with RR's electrical needs.

Perhaps I wasn't clear with my question...my husband doesn't think this outlet is compatible with Refrigerator because it needs AC and this receptacle only mentions Amps and Volts.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

That receptacle will work as long as the fridge and what ever else is on the circuit doesn't exceed the capacity of the breaker amperage wise. Normally that receptacle is part of the ground fault circuit since it is outside in the vent area.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

That outlet should fine with a residential refrigerator.

Just remember it is NOT going to cool when towing, but if you keep it closed it does stay cold for a long time.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

Please post again when you install it and what it took to do the installation. I may do this as well in the future!
BrittB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

Thanks Grumpy and Jasum. That is what I needed to know... that the 10 cu. Residential Refrigerator we bought can be connected in our RV.

Our RV is 50 Amps. We have two air conditioners, two basic flat screens, a Dometic microwave, two DVD players, a water dispenser, and my husbands PlayStation. What's the worst that could happen? We won't be able to power the 2 A/C's at the same time?

Britt, I'll take pics and update.

Thanks yall
Old 06-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #8

Worst is your curling iron and hair dryer may pop the breaker with the coffee pot going.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

I don't own a blow dryer, curling iron, nor a coffee maker... makes life so much easier!

...but I did forget about the washer dryer.

We should still be ok?
Old 06-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
Site Team

That is not your issue. Your residential fridge needs power 24/7. Does your TT have 120VAC to its outlets while you are traveling? Can you travel with a generator running? The TV will not generate enough power to operate the fridge. If the fridge goes into defrost mode the batteries need to supply 47Amps to power the inverter.

Residential fridges shipped from the company installed ALL come with an inverter to power them.

You need to get an inverter 1500 watts minimum (converts 12Volts to 120VAC). You will need to mount the inverter as close to the batteries as possible and run the AC line to the fridge.

You probably only have a basic battery in the TT, which is about 85Ah rating. That battery will not last more than a few hours before it will not have enough power to run the fridge. The inverter usually shuts down when the battery voltage hits 10.5 volts. So start looking into 2 or more batteries. Two 6 volt batteries are your best choice (Min 2 Trojan T105's) which will give you 220Ah of which you can only use 120 Ah.

If you do ANY dry camping, you will need a generator with that fridge.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #11

We have the 2002 3590RLTS and it comes with the twin batteries and an Iota DLS55 power inverter. The inverter puts out 750 watts and 55 amps max continuous output. We don't plan on moving the trailer too much but in the future when the Norcold N821FR does die, we probably will replace it with a residential unit. This looks like a possible way to go.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #12

I have the Frigidaire Gallery residential in my Northpoint. I also have a factory 1000 watt inverter. Now I am a bit worried the inverter may not be big enough. I am new to this and I really don't know how this is supposed to work. I am told the fridge also works on propane. I see no switch to select electric to propane. I travel with propane tanks closed. Will the fridge automatically switch to inverter while underway?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
I have the Frigidaire Gallery residential in my Northpoint. I also have a factory 1000 watt inverter. Now I am a bit worried the inverter may not be big enough. I am new to this and I really don't know how this is supposed to work. I am told the fridge also works on propane. I see no switch to select electric to propane. I travel with propane tanks closed. Will the fridge automatically switch to inverter while underway?
Your Frigidaire runs on electric or the inverter. It does NOT run on propane.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Will the fridge automatically switch to inverter while underway?
It will if you have the inverter turned on.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #15

How did your install of the Frigidaire go?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #16

I've done this conversion in 2 different trailers now without any problems . It's amazing how much more room there is !
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #17

Which fridge did you go with and what did you have to do to make it fit?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #18

Don't recall the manufacturers. Purchased from Home Depot . There was a little trimming to get them in . Disconnect & cap the 12v & propane . Pretty easy project with nice benefits! We are setup on a permanent site so travel was never a issue.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Do you have a small panel that shows voltage? Something like 13.4? That is your remote control for your inverter. If it is not illuminated (it's not on)push the little green button and it should show voltage. Also if you secure the shore power the fridge panel will still show freezer and fridge temps. If not "push the little green button". ;-)

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote