Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #1

Retractable Tonneau Bed Cover

Hi,
I am considering a retractable tonneau bed cover that would protect the 5th wheel hitch from the elements when not towing. Also, one that would retract and not interfere with normal 5th wheel hitch and camper operation while towing.

I was looking at BAK Industries. They have a completely rollback that is almost flush with the truck's bed rail after install.

Or a flip up that adds a few inches on the bed rail once completely folded up.

Either applications provide a solid & lockable cover.

I am leaning towards the retractable approach due to bed clearance but I am afraid of the maintenance needed with the roller. The fold up would be perfect, but again, I am afraid with the bed clearance during towing.

What are you all using to protect your 5th wheel hitch while not hooked up to the camper? What type of tonneau bed covers do you have?

-P.K
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #2

Friend has a manual rollup snap down cover on his Ford 350 without a lock. He stated that if it was a tarp material it could just be cut if needed so there is no need for the lock.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #3

I have the Peragon cover that has worked very well for me over the past 2 years. Low profile and looks very nice. Folds up into the bed so it takes up about 6" of box space which is the only downside but it also removes very easily if you need that space. This will work well with a FW hitch and is very secure as it has a solid locking mechanism. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=C0qjWDXE55w
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #4

Our work truck has a roll top desk style cover. Yes it is nearly flush to the top of the bed rails but it is very noisy when traveling over bumps, potholes, etc.. I'd never have one on my personal truck just for that reason.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

BAK makes a good product. Not sure how much room you have at the cab when towing, however check out the BAK ROLL-X cover, Very similar to the retractable, however it rolls up. When locked down, the sides also lock, very little noise. Had one on my Tundra and I just purchased one for my F150. I don't tow a 5th wheel, so would depend on how much room you have between the trailer and cab.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

I have a tri-fold tonneau cover by American. It locks down on the third fold. It seals pretty good with minimal moisture allowed in. My tailgate locks but if they want in, they could just cut the cover. Also, I'm getting about 5% better fuel economy by eliminating tailgate drag. There is no noise whatsoever from this cover.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

I have an Access soft rollup cover that locks and a locking tailgate. I've never had anyone attempt to break in and when I bought the cover I ask the store how many they've replaced as a result of slashing/theft.
The answer was none.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

I have a rollup cover, not sure what brand. It has little slide locks on the underside. Works good for us. I have had it blow loose driving through the carwash. Now when going through the drier, I just skip letting the blower dry the tailgate and no issues.

I did have someone try to break into the tailgate (well kinda). My Dakota has a unique feature that you can limit how far the tailgate will open. Typically I keep it in the 50% down feature, in case it is not full latched an opens up while driving when extremely cold I have had this issue. I had a plastic box up in the front of the box. The perp could not figure out how to open the gate any further nor how to open the cover to get to the box. They yanked and yanked and bent one of the aluminum rail that the lock clips into. I have been meaning to pull the rail off and hammer it back into place. No damage was really done, except maybe to their ego. The cover still works just fine.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

With my 8ft bed I have a tool box so I needed a tool box cover to fit and went with the Access brand. It locks over the tailgate and rolls up in 15 seconds from one side with straps to hold it in place. A friend has the roll up, flush mount metal one on his short bed and there are times it binds up on him with retracting and extending. Depends on how "secure" you want to make your bed I guess. My hitch is locked in 2 places. If someone wants something they will hit my tool box first as there really never is anything in my bed.

It is 4 years old and it holds a snow load well too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #10

I do not have a fiver, however I have the BAK industries F1 BackFlip model cover on my F-150. I installed it myself two years ago and I am impressed with durability and functionally of the cover.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

Depends on where you live, and your parking situation, but the roll-up covers will freeze solid in the wintertime if you have to park outside and don't get snow & ice off right away. I had a "Jack Rabbit" roll-up on my previous truck and loved it except for the few times a winter when it froze. I now have a Bak segmented cover on my 8 ft. bed that easily clears the FW hitch. I bought it because the truck sits outside. So far this winter in western Illinois we've had some ice and 45" total inches of snow, no problem with the cover when I've needed to use the bed.

CH
Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #12

I have a simple Freedom rollup cover. Never any problems and no break-ins. Works well regardless of the weather hot or cold.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #13

I have a BakFlip HD cover and BakBox toolbox on my F250. No clearance problems open or closed.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #14

I have a roll top cover, it sits flush with the top of the box and rolls up into the front of the box, this is my first hard cover and I like it but it will not go over my generator, the soft tops will cover my generator

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	11306
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
I have a BakFlip HD cover and BakBox toolbox on my F250. No clearance problems open or closed.

Mike, any issues with the BakBox toolbox? I was thinking of getting one, but heard about some issues if you put some heavy things in and they bounce around causing problems with the box sides coming unclipped causing a mess. Not sure how true this is, which is why I am asking.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #16

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
Hi,
I am considering a retractable tonneau bed cover that would protect the 5th wheel hitch from the elements when not towing. Also, one that would retract and not interfere with normal 5th wheel hitch and camper operation while towing.

I was looking at BAK Industries. They have a completely rollback that is almost flush with the truck's bed rail after install.

Or a flip up that adds a few inches on the bed rail once completely folded up.

Either applications provide a solid & lockable cover.

I am leaning towards the retractable approach due to bed clearance but I am afraid of the maintenance needed with the roller. The fold up would be perfect, but again, I am afraid with the bed clearance during towing.

What are you all using to protect your 5th wheel hitch while not hooked up to the camper? What type of tonneau bed covers do you have?

-P.K
I am using the BAK Ind. fold up system on my 6.5 ft. bed 2011 F250 Ford. I absolutely love it. If I changed trucks, I wouldn't consider anything else. I leave one section folded down which acts as a roof for all my plunder that sets up against the cab. You need to have a rubber rope tied on the folded up section to assure that the wind doesn't get under it and unfold it. There is a ring on the front of the lid just for that. When I'm not towing, the lid lays right on the 5th wheel and everything is dry and secure. I was initially concerned if there was enough clearance on the face of the 5th wheel when covered. Turned out to be perfect.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
Mike, any issues with the BakBox toolbox? I was thinking of getting one, but heard about some issues if you put some heavy things in and they bounce around causing problems with the box sides coming unclipped causing a mess. Not sure how true this is, which is why I am asking.
Heady, Don't know how heavy - heavy is. Mine is moderately loaded and I have had no problems. I have not heard of any issues. Oh, one small problem - a pair of gloves blew out of the box while I was towing the 5er. There is about a 1 1/2 inch space between the top of the box and BackFlip cover where the wind can get in.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #18

We went with the roll up Access cover as we also have a transfer flow fuel tank in the front. We wanted something that would protect the 5th wheel hitch when not in use and still be out of the way for towing. We looked at some of the folding covers but we were afraid that they might be too high and hit them when making a sharp turn with the 5er attached. With the height of trucks today, I am not comfortable with the clearance that the folding covers have.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Heady, Don't know how heavy - heavy is. Mine is moderately loaded and I have had no problems. I have not heard of any issues. Oh, one small problem - a pair of gloves blew out of the box while I was towing the 5er. There is about a 1 1/2 inch space between the top of the box and BackFlip cover where the wind can get in.
Thanks Mike! Appreciate the first hand review. You might have just sold me on it.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #20

I have the Reese Revoluntion pen box. I would like a cover with a "cut out" to acomodate the pen box.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote