Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Return air problem draft

We have a 2011 Pinnacle 36RETS. *We love it! *However, we get a very bad draft through the slotted vats in the stairway. We took it to general rv and they said that it was an air return area and should not be insulated.

On a trip in late October where it was snowing in Washington DC, there was a constant and steady draft coming from under the stairs.

We are now pulling down to FL from MI and tonite had an issue with smoke from our camp fire coming in through that same area under the stairs.

It doesn't appear that the area is insulated underneath and things like smoke and cold air enter in freely.

Is it possible to understand how to keep cold air, smoke, *and drafts from entering from under the stairs? *
vanwassup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Make sure all the outside hatches are latched on both sides would be one way to stop outside air intrusion. Blocking the stairwell vents would restrict the flow of air to the holding tanks. If you are not using the furnace to heat, I can't see any value in leaving them open other that to allow ventilation to the storage area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #3

Check around the propane tanks for air leaks ( the area under the tanks must be open) also the floor where a generator would mount. This section of floor has knockouts and slots in it.
2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #4

The real giveaway that there is a problem is the campfire smoke coming in. No way that should be happening. You should not be getting ANY drafts from the outside. There is a difference between insulation and sealing. If it is a return for the furnace, it's ducted and there should be no air leaks in it. Also, it has zero to do with the installation or mounting of the propane tanks. They are installed with their own venting so I don't know why that was even mentioned. You also do not need vents to the holding tanks. They have their own vents to the outside.

You really need to do some investigating and figure out what that space really does, even if it means pulling the grill and looking inside. Don't listen to the dealer that you talked to before. He obviously doesn't know
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

My Designer has those same vents and I don't have a draft problem at all. I would agree that the propane tank area and generator area are totally separate and wouldn't come into play with your problem.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

My eagle has the same vents and I too feel a draft on cold nights. These vents have screens and no insulation. I too wanted to insulate; but, thought it was for proper air-flow.
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #7

The dealer told us they called Jayco and that it was working as designed. We have taken the whole inner panel wall out to inspect that area within the cargo bay. If you shine a light through the vats on the stairs, you have a space that is probably 2-3' in depth of dead space behind the access panel in the cargo area.

We did check cargo bay seals and they are installed. There is a heating duct in the cargo bay (that one would presume is there to keep that space warm in adverse weather) as well so it definitely is leaking in lots of air from somewhere underneath.

Since we are in a warm climate this week, I'll get in there with a flashlight during night and see if we can see light coming through anywhere.

Thanks, Steve and Vanessa
Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #8

So I took off the panel that hides the heater, vents and the "return air" vents under the stairs....there IS no return air ducting! I can't believe general rv told us we would be poisoned by fumes if we covered those vents from drafts....I am very unhappy with them right now....what do you do when you take something in for warranty repair work and they do nothing?! We also asked them to fix the caulk in the bathroom shower....the caulk is not holding at all....they said they repaired it, but still, the aluminum shower glides are not caulked to the shower pan and water leaks all over the bathroom when we shower. :-(. Should we complain to them or find a new servicing center? I want to get this ducting thing figured out...

Thanks,
Vanessa
Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Site Team

There are hot air ducts in the underbelly that send warm air to keep the tanks from freezing. The stair vents provide circulation for that air to move. I noticed some minor drafts in my rig this past week in that area but the furnace was running very little.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #10

But you can see sunlight all over down there.....so there is circulation from outside air....
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Can you post some pics as to where this air is coming in? If campfire smoke is entering the living area then something certainly is not right. I would think that trailer should be tight as a drum. On the caulking issue, it sounds like either they used the wrong caulk or did not let the area dry thoroughly before applying it or both. I would calmly explain my dissatisfaction to the current dealer about these issues and give them one more chance. If a desirable outcome is not achieved then I would call Jayco and explain the situation to them and possibly request another service location. Best of luck, and please keep us informed.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #12

I put insultion to block cold air on my 2010 371rlqs also check spare tire thay cut a big x hole in bottom for cable
JAYCO2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #13

The louvered grill on the front of the furnace is the cold air return system. The furnace exhaust is outside the trailer and there is no way it will exhaust into the trailer. The furnace also draws in outside air for combustion. Find a better dealer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #14

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Find a better dealer.
+1
.However being an ac/heat guy ,since the heater ducts seem to be installed wrong I wouldnt trust this heater not to pull the CO(carbon monoxide) from the outside flue (with blower running) thru the return air since campfire smoke comes in RV now.Test the CO monitor reguarly.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The louvered grill on the front of the furnace is the cold air return system. The furnace exhaust is outside the trailer and there is no way it will exhaust into the trailer. The furnace also draws in outside air for combustion. Find a better dealer.
On my rig, the furnace is on an outside wall with no return access to the inside. The stair slots are the return air route. In my case, blocking them would affect operation of the furnace.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #16

[QUOTE=vanwassup;47750]But you can see sunlight all over down there.....so there is circulation from outside air....[/QYUOTE]

You should not see sunlight in the area under the stairs. That area should be sealed tight from outside air. The only air access into the space under the stairs should be from the sealed underbelly area below the floor and the louvers allowing cool air return from the living area. If there is outside air entering that area the entry points should be sealed.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #17

We just laid a carpet runner over these stairs (mostly to keep the rug in better/new condition). The draft has been cut down immensely and so far, no problems with the heat.
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pond Hunter View Post
We just laid a carpet runner over these stairs (mostly to keep the rug in better/new condition). The draft has been cut down immensely and so far, no problems with the heat.
While that appears to provide a temporary fix, the original problem remains with the potential to allow moisture, campfire smoke, insects, and critters from the outside. That still needs to be addressed and I would find another dealer to do it if you don't want to dig into it yourself.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
While that appears to provide a temporary fix, the original problem remains with the potential to allow moisture, campfire smoke, insects, and critters from the outside. That still needs to be addressed and I would find another dealer to do it if you don't want to dig into it yourself.
I believe that it would also increase the likelihood of frozen water pipes in below freezing weather.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #20

I have had the entire area you are talking about fully exposed to run wires through the underbelly of my Eagle. There is no ductwork running to the stair vents. They do however offer a positive airflow return for the heating system. If you block every outlet for air to go out while the heat is on it will restrict the flow.

The area under the stairs is an extension of the cargo compartment and you do have open access to the underbelly from there. You could have pit smoke coming in from the exterior if the smoke was to travel under the unit and through an access hole not properly sealed with your cooktop exhaust fan on.

To properly insulate this area you should pull off the cargo area walls and see where you can seal and attach insulation to exposed walls to hold the furnace heat better. Simply blocking the stair vents may lead to other issues. I don't camp in the winter yet so it has not been on my to do list, but there is a significant area of exposure there to seal. Some fire resistant, non paper backed insulation would work best. I would avoid rigid foam since your in an area surrounding a heat source.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote