Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #21

Cdash I was thinking the same thing, I watch my wheels too and thought of lighting them up.

I've given up on watching my spotter.. After several "discussions" she still hasn't grasped "if you can't see me in the mirror, I CAN'T SEE YOU!"

The two way radio has solved that to an extent
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I've given up on watching my spotter.. After several "discussions" she still hasn't grasped "if you can't see me in the mirror, I CAN'T SEE YOU!"
You mean I'm not the only one with that problem?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #23

Quote:
With the side 3/4 out. You need to lift the bed and not be too big (I'm at almost the limit 6'4 240.)
Lay down between the bed and the closet and tuck you head into the little space. Look to the middle at the back and see the wires coming from the propane area, thought the floor. It will be hard to reach if you have short arms.

Thanks for the guidance!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #24

I think I'm going to do this, just a little different. I had lights on my toy hauler that worked of a switch inside the door. I would turn them on if I need lighting to back in or set up.

I'm going to mount them similarly, but install an all weather switch under the bumper that I can turn on and off as needed.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #25

Cdash,

Another option is to consider mounting an extra set of reverse lights on the truck. That would help light up the trailer tire area when backing in, and give more light for when driving the truck only. This is something I have been meaning to do as well, just haven't taken the time.

Had a set of reverse lights on an old truck, similar size to the led lights posted. Mounted the to the hitch with the included bracket and zip ties. Very nice for when in very dark areas. Actually bought the set (halogen bulb) at Meijer's for $20. Made by Pilot I think, labeled as back up lights. Meijer's still carry them, at least our local store does.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #26

Hoojs, unless you plan on pulling the under belly down, I don't know where you would get 12v from.
You would still have to pull a wire to the front into the propane area. You could hook up a switch in there to save the walk to the back of the rig.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post

...Another state inspection requirement here in Virginia is that the REVERSE LIGHT must be controlled by the reverse action of the vehicle - not just a switch that the user manually turns on...

Roy Ken
Roy, from reading his description, the lights he installed will be activated by the reverse light switch on the truck. He tied it into the 7 way plug reverse light connection.

I like the idea of adding a relay so you could add a manual switch also, kind of like security lights on the rear of the unit.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Hoojs, unless you plan on pulling the under belly down, I don't know where you would get 12v from.
You would still have to pull a wire to the front into the propane area. You could hook up a switch in there to save the walk to the back of the rig.

Your right. I would have to find a 12v source. Taking a portion of the underbelly down would be required, but far less work than running to the front.

I like the idea of it being more automatic, but if I need lights to backup, I would already be at the back of the trailer to check the area in person.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #29
Site Team

I guess we live a protected life being retired. I do not ever remember arriving at a campground except once in the dark and it was scary.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Cdash,

Another option is to consider mounting an extra set of reverse lights on the truck. That would help light up the trailer tire area when backing in, and give more light for when driving the truck only. This is something I have been meaning to do as well, just haven't taken the time.

Had a set of reverse lights on an old truck, similar size to the led lights posted. Mounted the to the hitch with the included bracket and zip ties. Very nice for when in very dark areas. Actually bought the set (halogen bulb) at Meijer's for $20. Made by Pilot I think, labeled as back up lights. Meijer's still carry them, at least our local store does.
Funny you say that....

I have the lights and the parts to install them sitting in the table. I was going to put them on today, but the front hitch install took a lot longer than expected.

Although, I'll have to see how they work with the trailer. My trucks factory reverse lights create a glare off the front that makes it harder to see. Not sure if having them under the bumper would be better or worse.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #31

I want to beable to shut the truck reverse lights off in the dark. The glare is blinding.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #32

I'm thinking about getting creative with strips of a mudflap and a cheap clamp.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #33

Quote:
I want to beable to shut the truck reverse lights off in the dark. The glare is blinding.

That is something that I have pondered on as well. Particularly when we had our previous unit. It had diamond plate on the front and the glare was terrible. Our current trailer isn't quite as bad, but there is still a glare. I thought about using the normally closed leg of a relay to the truck bu lights. Using a switch to control the relay that when flipped would shut truck lights off and send power to trailer mounted bu lights. I plan to add lights to the camper, but still debating on the truck side.
I think I am going to use a switch going to the 7 pin, that would control a relay on the camper side, pulling power for the lights from the trailer battery. This should eliminate the possibility of blowing fuses by trying to pull lots of current through the truck backup light circuit, though it could be more HD than I expect. Spring camper project number one.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #34

I used a relay with my first 5ver's reverse lights off the battery. On my 2nd rig I just went direct to the truck (because Cedar Creek had it pre wired) and used two 50 watt halogens.
This time around I went straight to the truck because these LED's are only 3 amps total. Besides having a short (which I did on first try ), there is no chance of the truck fuse blowing.

If you have a Ford the circuit for the trailer reverse lights is seperate from the trucks

I think I'm going to put a switch in to shut off the bu lights on the truck, like you said.
Now I wish I ordered the upfitter switches when I ordered my truck