Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Rocker/Recliner ?

Has anyone come up with a good way to minimize the rocking action of their chairs while traveling in their RLS? We were told not to flip the chair on the sofa because the tech had seen incidents where the strap pulled out and caused allot of damage to the chair and trailer. They recommend letting it set in the doorway, but the movement has me concerned we'll still damage something while traveling.
I'm toying with the idea of moving one of the dinette chairs to a space at the rear left of the trailer when the slide is closed, and putting the rocker at the table where the chair was. Still the rocking is an issue, but at leased you can walk through the trailer.
Thanks
Bill
Old 08-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

We have a swivel rocker in our 2004 Designer, and I found that by tipping it up on the side, there is a hole in the rocker mechanism that I can put a bolt and nut in for travel. Then tip the chair back on its base. It completely eliminates all rocking. Then just reverse the procedure when I arrive at the CG. Takes about 30 seconds each way.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #3

We have a stap, furnished with rig, that we wrap around both chairs and then lock into a D-ring on the floor between the chairs. A blanket is placed on the back of one of the chairs, they are back to back, to stop any rubbing.

Works great. Chairs are heavy to begin with but doing what we do stops any movement while traveling. Never noticed anything that was a concern.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
We have a stap, furnished with rig, that we wrap around both chairs and then lock into a D-ring on the floor between the chairs. A blanket is placed on the back of one of the chairs, they are back to back, to stop any rubbing.

Works great. Chairs are heavy to begin with but doing what we do stops any movement while traveling. Never noticed anything that was a concern.
We do the same thing. I might add one thing about the weight and moving the recliners. On our recliners there are four rubber things on each leg that are suppose to protect the floor if on a hard floor. I removed these and the chairs slide easier on the rugs
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

We have an RLS and have always turned the rockers onto the sofa and used the straps from the couch to secure them, no issues with movement or damage.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

I have a 2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS with the 2 rocker/recliners by the rear window. We have not used the trailer yet but just bringing the unit home & going to storage the chairs have rubbed & marked the wall & the little table in between them. The straps are pulled tight over the chairs & although not stopped the rubbing i think the straps will tare through the arms of the chairs.. We go on our first trip next week & would like to figure something out before hand.

2014 Jayco Eagle 30.5 RLS | Curt 20K sliding Hitch | Champion 3100 Inverter Generator | 2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins CC Laramie Longhorn
Calgary5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

We found with our 1st 5er that if you strapped the recliners too tightly back to back that it ruins the material on the sides of the back where most of the contact is. Even with the slip on vinyl protector that Jayco supplied for one chair. We kept the cover when we traded and now cover both backs, place them back to back and the loose strap only contains the movement. This way the front, padding of the seat touches the walls on either end of the slide. You can put the little table on the recliner or the couch in transit. If the roads are rough they tend to move to the middle of the 5er towards the inside edge of the slide. The couch used to do the same until I anchored it.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #8

I'm going to look more closely at ours. They seem to be separated by the little table & i don't know if the table moves or not so you can put them back to back.

2014 Jayco Eagle 30.5 RLS | Curt 20K sliding Hitch | Champion 3100 Inverter Generator | 2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins CC Laramie Longhorn
Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary5ver View Post
I'm going to look more closely at ours. They seem to be separated by the little table & i don't know if the table moves or not so you can put them back to back.
Just had a look at your floor plan and see that the table appears to be a fixed unit. With ours it is a light table that can be moved. You might be able to anchor them to the floor to restrain them. I did that to keep the dinette chairs in place. I used a bracket that is meant to hang artwork or mirrors. The loop portion of the bracket falls flat to the floor when not in use. I used 2, 1/2 " screws to hold it to the floor, placing one bracket on the outside edge of the slide and the other on the inside edge and run an adjustable strap from one over the chairs and down to the other. The chairs don't move at all. I'm sure you could figure something out to keep them in place.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
Just had a look at your floor plan and see that the table appears to be a fixed unit. With ours it is a light table that can be moved. You might be able to anchor them to the floor to restrain them. I did that to keep the dinette chairs in place. I used a bracket that is meant to hang artwork or mirrors. The loop portion of the bracket falls flat to the floor when not in use. I used 2, 1/2 " screws to hold it to the floor, placing one bracket on the outside edge of the slide and the other on the inside edge and run an adjustable strap from one over the chairs and down to the other. The chairs don't move at all. I'm sure you could figure something out to keep them in place.
Thanks. I will pick the trailer up from storage on Friday. We eave on the Monday so that should give me time to sort something out..

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #11

We travel with our dual recliners back to back up close to the wall also. We put a blanket over one to help with the rubbing but don't strap them down really tight. They can still move slightly without much problem but the strap holds them also. Not had a problem so far and been on about ten trips I would say so far.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary5ver View Post
Thanks. I will pick the trailer up from storage on Friday. We eave on the Monday so that should give me time to sort something out..
We decided to remove one of the rocker/recliners for our trip west across Canada so I also wanted to tether the chair to keep it from moving. In our case the chairs move toward the center of the 5er or the inside of the slide and slightly to the rear of the slide. So I devised some straps to do just that. It can still rock but shouldn't make contact with any walls.
I used some white chinstraps from hockey helmets and small carabiners to hook on to the base that are anchored to the floor with 1/2" screws (have to make sure the screws aren't longer than the thickness of the slide floor). I cut a black chinstrap in half loopining through a key ring and attached it to the round metal base hoop, spoke with a self drilling/tapping sheet metal screw. This way the tether strap will remain on the floor out of the way and the smaller black loop wil not interfere with the operation of the rocker/recliner. I will attempt to post some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

I tried to post 5 pictures in total but it didn't do it so I may have to post them individually.
[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #14

[attach]13595
I don't know what the black stain looking colour is, a shadow?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	13599
When I took the pictures they were upright, posting them turned them upside down. Anyway you get the idea.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #16

I solve the problem of the moving Rocker/Recliner Chairs by creating a loop in a short piece of rope and attaching two of these loops to each end of the frame of the sofa/bed. When I travel I place the two Rocker/Recliner Chairs beside each other in front of the sofa and run a strap between the two loops and across the arms of the chairs until the strap is snug. This then anchors the chairs to the sofa.
macleadv is offline   Reply With Quote