Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Roof Repair and Maintenance on EPDM Roofs

Hello All--

I have a 1998 Jayco 243RKS that has an EPDM rubber roof. The roof has a couple of repairs that appear to have been done well, as they were done with galvanized sheet metal and screwed down to roof about every 6" or so (see pics). The sheet of plexiglass in first pic is where skylight goes...previous owner didnt want to replace a craked one I guess?

Repairs are about 2'X3' on two sections of roof; one near front and one in front of AC condenser. There are no signs of leaks inside anywhere no streaks either. The previous owner took pretty good care of this RV. I believe there may have been an incident that tore through the rubber roof and it was repaired with the metal sections.

I know about the use of butyl tape under skylights, vents, etc and self leveling sealant over all seams, edges, vent/skylights edges, over screws, etc.

Am I correct with the above? Am I missing something?

I wanted to know, as I have heard of some folks doing this, but is it recommended to cover the entire roof with a roll on, paint-like finish that seals and protects entire roof? It sounds logical, especially for older EPDM rubber roofs like mine. However, I do not want to do something to diminish or be harmful to the rubber roof material.

Thanks!

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:27 AM   #2

The repairs are not conventional for EPDM roof systems, but if they're working I guess you can't argue with success.

One problem over time will be that the patches will expand and contract to stress the sealing method. If you purchase the RV I would suggest sealing all the patch edges and fasteners with Eternabond Tape, Dicor products, or ProGuard Liquid Roof 2 part sealant. That should assure that the edges stay weather tight.

I normally don't like aftermarket coatings for EPDM roof membranes because they can interfere with proper adhesion of future repairs. They can also hide problems to make locating leaks more difficult. For older deteriorating roofs a manufacturer approved coating may give a bit more service life.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #3

I don't really recommend roof coatings at all, I would be afraid they would just hide a problem and make it harder to find.

You can buy a liquid EPDM rubber however. It is a 2 part liquid that you mix together and let it sit for a couple minutes, then can brush or roll one. It is the exact same chemical compound as your sheet EPDM. It adheres to your old EPDM and creates a new section of roof, not a "patch".

My old trailer had a tear in the rubber and soft wood. I cut out the rubber over the bad area and put new decking down over the roof. I then "painted" the liquid EPDM over the new decking and overlapped the existing rubber roof. When it cured, it was a one piece roof again with no new edges.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I don't really recommend roof coatings at all, I would be afraid they would just hide a problem and make it harder to find.

You can buy a liquid EPDM rubber however. It is a 2 part liquid that you mix together and let it sit for a couple minutes, then can brush or roll one. It is the exact same chemical compound as your sheet EPDM. It adheres to your old EPDM and creates a new section of roof, not a "patch".

My old trailer had a tear in the rubber and soft wood. I cut out the rubber over the bad area and put new decking down over the roof. I then "painted" the liquid EPDM over the new decking and overlapped the existing rubber roof. When it cured, it was a one piece roof again with no new edges.
Is this what you used?
ProGuard
Liquid Roof®

Liquid Roof, EPDM rubber coating for RV's, motorhomes and fifth wheels

vic
Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #5

Yup, that's it. A little messy to work with, but it works great.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

there's also this.....

https://secure.websolhost.net/@epdmcoatings/order-v2/

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
Old 05-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

so, do you think I should leave the metal sections and just Eternabond the edges?

OR

Remove metal and cover/patch with EPDM rubber?

I'm curious what's under metal but don't want to open a hornet's nest either.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post

I'm curious what's under metal but don't want to open a hornet's nest either.
Yep.

If all looks good "Let sleeping dogs lie" comes to mind. I would seal around the edges just for the added peace of mind.

vic
Old 05-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

Here's the second pic......

Old 05-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #10

From the site you gave above:

Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings for Roof Leaks Repair - EPDMCoatings

It comes with fabric.

I have used Henry roof repair patch fabric with Dicor products to give a bit of reinforcement. If you decide to seal the metal patches that may help with any movement at the edges of your metal.

vic
Old 05-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #11

I'd use eternabond. EternaBond

Used it on my new 2012 23.5 ht trailer, recommended by some of the members here and haven't regretted it one bit. It's more of a permanent fix than caulking is by far. Cost is more but who cares about that.

It is also what is used on the roof systems of high end motor coach's.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #12

I would use some 6" wide Eternabond and overlap 3" on the roof and 3" on the metal. The Eternabond should expand and contract enough to handle the changes between the 2 materials.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #13

what about the air gaps that will occur when the Eternabond is laid over screws? Is this a problem? The screw heads are about 1/8" or so above flat portion of roof; they are about every 8" or so all the way around the metal sections.

Also, when using Eternabond on the seams where roof and aluminum siding meet and you overlap on each side (say a 6" tape with 3" overlap on each side), what about the gap all along that seam, as the tape will not lie perfectly flat?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
Site Team

I used a small wooden seam roller to push it down and make good contact. Don't worry about the screws all long as it it pushed down on all sides. If you have bid gobs of old caulk, Roy can carefully remove some of the high spots carefully with a plastic putty knife. Then clean it well before applying Eternabond tape. I bought a can of spray cleaner from the same place I got the tape.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #15

Those high spots/voids created when Eternabond tape is laid over the screw heads has me concerned

Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:
what about the air gaps that will occur when the Eternabond is laid over screws? Is this a problem? The screw heads are about 1/8" or so above flat portion of roof; they are about every 8" or so all the way around the metal sections.

Also, when using Eternabond on the seams where roof and aluminum siding meet and you overlap on each side (say a 6" tape with 3" overlap on each side), what about the gap all along that seam, as the tape will not lie perfectly flat?
Quote:
Those high spots/voids created when Eternabond tape is laid over the screw heads has me concerned
First let me say that I share your concerns.

Let me add that although Eternabond tape is a great product, just because it has worked for many people that doesn't mean that it is the 100% correct answer for every repair. The previous owner used a rather unique repair solution.

For the same reasons you mention above, I feel that a sealant combined with a mesh re-enforcement may give better results. The sealant with mesh will better conform to both the uneven surface created by the screw fasteners and the (possibly moving) perimeter edge created by the metal.

Can I say 100% that sealant combined with mesh is the correct answer? Can I say that Eternabond tape will not work? The answer is a definite "No" to both questions. I don't believe that anyone has a perfect solution short of a complete roof membrane replacement.

For the situation under discussion.

Personally, if repair is selected vs roof replacement, I would be inclined to use a sealant with mesh rather than Eternabond tape. That doesn't mean that I haven't used and recommend Eternabond tape. I use it and like it.

FWIW. vic
Old 05-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #17

Here's the EPDM rubber roof seal....it's about $100 less than the one on the other link.

Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings for Roof Leaks Repair - EPDMCoatings

Perhaps a coating of this liquid rubber roof and then some Eternabond tape on my sheet metal repairs. That way all areas sealed and the tape will add another layer of protection.

OR

The Eternabond tape first, then the liquid roof coating?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:

Perhaps a coating of this liquid rubber roof and then some Eternabond tape on my sheet metal repairs. That way all areas sealed and the tape will add another layer of protection.

OR

The Eternabond tape first, then the liquid roof coating?
We're solidly into a personal opinion/preference area regarding sealing those rather unique metal patches.

If you use the Rubber Roof coating with a mesh re-enforcement around the perimeter of the metal patches and over the fasteners, I see no reason to spend the money and include Eternabond tape. If future regular periodic inspections show a problem with the edges then Eternabond tape can be added as needed.

I personally believe that using a mesh will give the performance you need. The mesh will do 2 things. It will add to the strength and also create a slightly heavier coating in the areas that the mesh is applied.

This is the mesh I use. It is readily available.

Henry Company HE183196 Yellow Glass Reinforcing Fabric-6"X25' YEL GLASS FABRIC
http://www.walmart.com/ip/21093468?w...707271&veh=sem

vic
Old 05-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #19

Thanks Vic. Have you used this on your EPDM roof? Is it safe for use on EPDM roofs? I know it's for house roofs, not necessarily for RV roofs.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Vic. Have you used this on your EPDM roof? Is it safe for use on EPDM roofs? I know it's for house roofs, not necessarily for RV roofs.
I have used the Henry fabric with Dicor self leveling sealant for my 2001 EPDM roof repairs. I've used the fabric to add strength with polyurethane caulk, Life Caulk, roof tar, etc. to add strength for other trailer, boat, vehicle, and home repairs. I've also used the Henry fabric with JB Weld, other epoxy, and glues when bridging or strength is needed.

I have not personally used the Rubber Roof product. The site specs list that it is made for EPDM roof membranes. Based upon the site and Spoon059's endorsement I would use it on my 2001 EPDM roof if major repairs were needed.

I haven't actually seen your roof and patches. Pictures aren't always enough. If your roof looks good then there may not be any reason to spend the long dollar for more patching material than is needed to just seal the fasteners and the metal patch edges.

If the rest of the roof is good then Dicor self leveling sealant or other good quality EPDM repair product used with the Henry fabric may save some money over coating the entire roof. It goes without saying, that decision is totally yours.

vic