Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #1

Rookie Mistake

Ok..I did the total rookie new fifth wheel mistake today...Had our new 32ft. Jayco eagle out for maiden weekend and all went well until coming home and backing down side of house. Have a slider hitch, slid hitch out, and proceeded to back up. Forgot one thing...lower the tailgate. Ok, so I crunched the top of the tailgate on my brand new Chevy 2500 diesel, actually I can live with that. Was going to replace it with diffent tailgate anyway. But, I pinched the power cord that goes from the trailer to the truck. I split the insulation on the wire and found a couple of wires pinched off. I cut them, it was the brown and the blue one that seemed to get the most damage, so those are the ones I fixed. Now everything works again except the right side blinkers and brake lights on trailer. The other wires in the bundle appeared to be ok. Am I wasting my time trying to repair this. If not I would like to know how to replace this cable. It looks like it goes up underneath the hitch and then disappears into the frame. Any suggestions.
bigoil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

Forget about fixing the wires it should be replaced IMO.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #3

bigoil76 I would replace the cord with a new one if I where you. Just in case you want to fix it, it will be the green wire that is still damaged.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #4

I would replace it. That's your trailers life line. As far as getting to the connection points it might require removing the lower trim panel unless there is a junction box around the king pin mount.

Probaly a dealer repair.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Bigoil,

Welcome to the Jayco forums, but wish it could have been under better circumstances.

I agree with the others, I would replace the cord as well. If it's not obvious, contact your dealer on how the cord is routed/clamped down and that may give you an indication of what's involved. May have to use the existing cord to snake the new cord through, but I would like to think it will be a lot easier than having to do so.

Also, contact Jayco and they will forward you the electrical schematic for your FW if it will help.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoil76 View Post
Ok..I did the total rookie new fifth wheel mistake today...Had our new 32ft. Jayco eagle out for maiden weekend and all went well until coming home and backing down side of house. Have a slider hitch, slid hitch out, and proceeded to back up. Forgot one thing...lower the tailgate. Ok, so I crunched the top of the tailgate on my brand new Chevy 2500 diesel, actually I can live with that. Was going to replace it with diffent tailgate anyway. But, I pinched the power cord that goes from the trailer to the truck. I split the insulation on the wire and found a couple of wires pinched off. I cut them, it was the brown and the blue one that seemed to get the most damage, so those are the ones I fixed. Now everything works again except the right side blinkers and brake lights on trailer. The other wires in the bundle appeared to be ok. Am I wasting my time trying to repair this. If not I would like to know how to replace this cable. It looks like it goes up underneath the hitch and then disappears into the frame. Any suggestions.
I fail to understand why you would have hit your tailgate? I would understand if your tailgate was down when you backed up and hit it but not when it was up. Can you explain?
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #7

Sounds like he setup the hitch but forgot to drop the tailgate before backing down. Or set up the hitch and closed the gate before he backed up to the pin.

I also heard in other threads that unless your unit is out of waranty Jayco will not provide wiring schematics until so. But the dealer might be able to give you an idea.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I fail to understand why you would have hit your tailgate? I would understand if your tailgate was down when you backed up and hit it but not when it was up. Can you explain?

If I'm reading correctly, he had the slider hitch slid back for backing purposes. When you do this, you need to drop the tailgate as it moves the whole hitch setup closer to the rear of the vehicle. In a turn, it will make contact with the tailgate. Atleast that was the way with my slider hitch when we had our 5er.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Moved from site problem and suggestions forum. I agree with the others, replace the cord when practical.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote