Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Member
 
Catholic for a reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New Mexcio
Posts: 52
Rumored New Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch?

So, I'm not sure what to do...

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Andersen Ultimate and in doing some last minute research on the Cummins Forum, I learned that Andersen is apparently releasing a "puck" version of the Ultimate hitch that interfaces (connects) directly to the OEM fifth wheel system in my 2016 Ram 3500. Apparently it is supposed to be out in Feb. 2017.

I was planning on simply buying the model that attaches to the goose neck ball. Seems everyone who has one is quite happy with it.

Now I'm not sure whether I should wait for the new model that is essentially taylor-made to work with he fifth wheel system in my truck or just pull the trigger on one that's been out for a while That everyone is so happy with.

Anyone have 2 cents to contribute to the conversation?
__________________

__________________
2017 North Point 337rlbh
2016 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Tunce the traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bellingham,Wa.
Posts: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
So, I'm not sure what to do...

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Andersen Ultimate and in doing some last minute research on the Cummins Forum, I learned that Andersen is apparently releasing a "puck" version of the Ultimate hitch that interfaces (connects) directly to the OEM fifth wheel system in my 2016 Ram 3500. Apparently it is supposed to be out in Feb. 2017.


Anyone have 2 cents to contribute to the conversation?
Only God knows and that's my .02
__________________

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,847
Do you need a new hitch now? If not hold off.

Call Anderson and find out if it is a rumor or real. Maybe they can help give you some pros and cons of this "new" hitch.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Member
 
Catholic for a reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New Mexcio
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Only God knows and that's my .02
Should have asked Him first.
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upperco, Md.
Posts: 757
In your case I don't think there is much advantage to waiting for the puck system over the gooseneck ball. I have a 2016 Ford which uses the Reese puck system. The problem is that the Andersen base covers up the the pucks which is where you would connect the safety chains. Dodge uses a wider puck system which exposes the pucks for the safety chains. If Andersen is building a unit that uses the pucks then where do you attach the safety chains?? Some states look at anything with a ball is considered a trailer and requires safety chains. In truth safety chains on that hitch doesn't make it any safer but tell that to police that wants to nitpick. My point is that I would want the pucks available for the chains if I owned a Dodge. Another reason that I wouldn't want the Andersen on the puck system is the amount of room it takes up. That frame would have to be even wider and deeper then the one they use now. We pack a fair amount of items in front and around the hitch. We have lost quite a bit of room in the bed because of the size of the hitch base. That puck hitch would have to be even larger!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Member
 
Catholic for a reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New Mexcio
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
In your case I don't think there is much advantage to waiting for the puck system over the gooseneck ball. I have a 2016 Ford which uses the Reese puck system. The problem is that the Andersen base covers up the the pucks which is where you would connect the safety chains. Dodge uses a wider puck system which exposes the pucks for the safety chains. If Andersen is building a unit that uses the pucks then where do you attach the safety chains?? Some states look at anything with a ball is considered a trailer and requires safety chains. In truth safety chains on that hitch doesn't make it any safer but tell that to police that wants to nitpick. My point is that I would want the pucks available for the chains if I owned a Dodge. Another reason that I wouldn't want the Andersen on the puck system is the amount of room it takes up. That frame would have to be even wider and deeper then the one they use now. We pack a fair amount of items in front and around the hitch. We have lost quite a bit of room in the bed because of the size of the hitch base. That puck hitch would have to be even larger!!
Thanks, Ela. Those are good points. I thought about the size...it is going to have to be larger than the current hitch. Meaning it's probably a bit heavier and I'll give up some bed room with the larger footprint. I've been.readibg a lot from folks debating about the Ultimate hitch. I'll probably err on the side of installing the chains...it's better than trying to fight a ticket from an officer who doesn't agree with the notion that chains aren't required. I hadn't thought about losing the chain anchor points with the puck system (although I'll bet they build in some place to attach them on the new hitch). Thanks for the input. It really helped.
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upperco, Md.
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
Thanks, Ela. Those are good points. I thought about the size...it is going to have to be larger than the current hitch. Meaning it's probably a bit heavier and I'll give up some bed room with the larger footprint. I've been.readibg a lot from folks debating about the Ultimate hitch. I'll probably err on the side of installing the chains...it's better than trying to fight a ticket from an officer who doesn't agree with the notion that chains aren't required. I hadn't thought about losing the chain anchor points with the puck system (although I'll bet they build in some place to attach them on the new hitch). Thanks for the input. It really helped.
They probably will built something to attach the chains to. I emailed them when I found out that the puck holes were covered on my truck. There reply was to go to a frame shop and have new lugs put thru my brand new bed!!!! Or wrap the chains around the main pedestal. I could see me explaining to a cop how that attaching that to a fixture that is not part of the truck is a safety measure!
The weight won't be an issue, the size might!!
__________________

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.