Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #21

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm going to go ahead with my purchase of the system. I understand it's limitations and also it's benefits and am comfortable with both. I walked around an RV park this weekend and spoke with five different owners. Not one of them regretted purchasing the Winegard . All pointed out that you need to be aware of site placement and overhead clearance but overall they were all happy with the system.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #22

I have the same TV4RV tripod that you have EdAtlant! Have never been un able to receive a direct tv signal and never takes more than 20 minutes to set up. We have several folks with the portable units in our camping group and sometimes they can never establish a signal. Fun to watch. I have played with their units several times to help them out, but I will take my hd dish from direct tv over any of them! Lots of times folks will come ask if I will help them get set up.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Think Direct tv is the real problem. Dish portables are HD and most support 2 receivers. Direct only offers SD on its portables ?????????
It is my understanding that the reason that there are no portable/in motion dome type dishes that can receive DirecTV's HD channels is that the HD signal type that DirecTV uses doesn't penetrate the dome covers well enough to make them work reliably.

DirecTV is also planning over the next 3-4 years, on moving the remaining SD signals that still broadcast from the older satellites, to the newer sat's they have in orbit. That would make any current domed/in motion setups for DirecTV SD obsolete. So in the next 3-4 years, I can envision that the ONLY way to get ALL the DirecTV channels you have in your home package while camping will be to have either the roof mounted Travl'er or a tripod setup.

I do know that DirecTV/ATT is pushing quite hard to expand their streaming options as well but as we all know, campgrounds are NOT known for reliable, speedy internet connectivity and most cell phone based data plans that might be used if one were boondocking are way to expensive to use as an alternative.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
It is my understanding that the reason that there are no portable/in motion dome type dishes that can receive DirecTV's HD channels is that the HD signal type that DirecTV uses doesn't penetrate the dome covers well enough to make them work reliably.

DirecTV is also planning over the next 3-4 years, on moving the remaining SD signals that still broadcast from the older satellites, to the newer sat's they have in orbit. That would make any current domed/in motion setups for DirecTV SD obsolete. So in the next 3-4 years, I can envision that the ONLY way to get ALL the DirecTV channels you have in your home package while camping will be to have either the roof mounted Travl'er or a tripod setup.

I do know that DirecTV/ATT is pushing quite hard to expand their streaming options as well but as we all know, campgrounds are NOT known for reliable, speedy internet connectivity and most cell phone based data plans that might be used if one were boondocking are way to expensive to use as an alternative.
Its not the dome but rather has something to do with the frequency that Direct uses from the sat that supports their HD channels. What ever the situation long term I don't know as I'm a dish customer. Dish pretty much has all their HD on a single sat with most of the SD stuff on a couple of other sats. All of their sats can be received on their mounted and mobile units.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote