Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Schwinteck Slide Issue

Hey everyone! We picked up our 2017 375BHFS on Monday and the rear slide is stuck open. Both motors start, then the front one hits resistance and stops and then the slide isn't square in frame as it pulls in.

I've attached a pic of the underside of the slide showing a rubber/foam mark on that track. We've had it all of five days and back to the dealer it goes.

Any ideas of other things I should look for with it? I've been trying to find the reset box for that slide but haven't found it yet.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bertimus2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

Try this:

With the slide motors totally in the out position ( run the slide on extend until they stop - even if it is already out)

1. Push the retract button until you just here the motors start - do not let the slide move - just until you hear the whine of the motors

2. Release the button and hit extend until the motors stop making noise.

3. Repeat 1 & 2 two more times
4. Try to retract the slide.

The key is only holding the retract button until you just hear the motors whine in step 1.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermanbb View Post
Try this:

With the slide motors totally in the out position ( run the slide on extend until they stop - even if it is already out)

1. Push the retract button until you just here the motors start - do not let the slide move - just until you hear the whine of the motors

2. Release the button and hit extend until the motors stop making noise.

3. Repeat 1 & 2 two more times

4. Try to retract the slide.

The key is only holding the retract button until you just hear the motors whine in step 1.

Thanks! I should clarify...we have gotten it shut again. That being said, I don't think the process should be like that EVERY time to close it, right? Our other 4 slides go without issue.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #4

No. You should only need to do it once. It is the best way to "retime" the slide. Lippert's instructions call for a slightly different procedure. I tried it and it didn't work. My dealer showed me this one and it works like a charm. Whenever the slide is moving unevenly you need to retime it. This procedure works.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Ps. Slides tend to go out of "time' when you don't fully extend or retract them all the way with one push of the button. Once you stop it and restart it they tend to go out of time.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

Do you level the unit first, then work the slides or work the slide after unhooking? Does one way work better than the other? Thanks.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #7

I unhook, level and then do the slides. I'll try the timing piece but it's getting dropped off at the dealer tomorrow.

5 days old and it needs to go back already. Minor blip in the process.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #8

Level...Then slides.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

If you're still looking for the control box, the ones for both rear slides should be behind a false back at the bottom of the kitchen pantry. If you bend down and look, you'll see them. When I picked ours up, I made sure that the dealer showed us where all of them were. They couldn't find them either until I traced the wires. 3 years now and no problems. It looks like you have either a stuck roller, or a piece of seal caught in one.

Be sure the dealer shows you how to lubricate the Schwintek also. It has helped ours in noise and effort.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #10

BeachRetreat, what do you use for lube on your Schwintek slides? Thanks.

Dave
Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
BeachRetreat, what do you use for lube on your Schwintek slides? Thanks.

Dave
I'm using CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, as recommended by Schwintek.

I've included a link to their YouTube video which shows how to lubricate the mechanism.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #12

Late on this one.

Looks like your ODK big slide based on the photo. I personally don't think it's the gasket as that just looks folded over and rubbing. My unit has black steaks all over it from them that I have to clean off a few times a year. The more telling marks are flooring marks which you should not see.

The controls are in the pantry under the lowest shelf. You must hold the button down for the 3 seconds after each cycle to set the end points or you will have an issue with the BH slides due to their size, especially the ODK slide with is extra long. I don't let anyone touch the buttons except me. Also don't forget to close the BH door before you close the main slide. Dealer ripped my door off during warranty work once.

Lippert has improved the motor wire mount on these since 2014, but you will most likely eventually have a motor fail at some point. My suggestion is to carry a spare if your handy as you have 8 motors in this unit.

Last trip I have a wire come loose from a solder point due to road movement (2nd one back there) and I had to repair at the CG. Override got it out for me, so at least that worked. The last one was repaired under warranty.

Hope the dealer gets you going quickly again.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #13

Thank you.

Dave
Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #14

Diagnosed today: Replacement of the slide motors under warranty. Was told a couple weeks before parts arrive so we're going to pick it back up to finish our remodel in the mean time.

Hopefully we can get it back mid-August all complete so we can actually hit the road as planned :/ Fingers crossed!!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I don't let anyone touch the buttons except me.
Knowing you shouldn't touch the schwintek slide button unless you fully intend to either retract or extend (+ 5 second hold at the end of each travel), I installed one of these over the switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was great for keeping everybody off the switch in case they touched it accidently. Jayco put my bedroom slide switch RIGHT next to the overhead light switch. Not the most ideal location for either ....

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote