Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Angry Schwintek slide problems

I have a 2017 Eagle 327ckts, new in Dec 16 and used all winter. I noticed the street slide that contains the kitchen with residential frig and sofa was getting slow, but before I could get it to a dealer it started hanging up, so we have learned all the bypass procedures, syncing etc. The problem is with the motor toward the front of the RV. Upon close inspection it appears that the motor comes unseated and turns, to the point that wires have become frayed and twisted. The screw that is supposed to hold the motor in place is still screwed in. We have also found that there is a long rivet through the H channel in the area of the spur gear at the other three gears but not at the one where the motor is spinning. There is a set of holes that looks like a rivet was in the holes at one time. I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this or a similar unit? Even in override the slide is very hard to move in by hand, and we are still looking to make sure there are no obstructions.
I will probably end up going to a dealer for warranty repairs, but just trying to educate myself some more.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

Are sure that the motor hold down screw is all the way in? Or is it possibly sheared off?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

Grumpy, we looked at the screw again and while it was in tight, it does appear shorter than it should be. Now I have figure out why it might have sheared off the screw. Looks like a visit to a dealer is in order.
Does anyone know anything about the 2" long rivet that goes through the H channel that the motor nests into. Could it be to keep the channel from spreading under load?
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #4

Welcome to the club. My 2016 North Point has had similar problems. Shortly after purchasing it, the Schwintek slide with the residential fridge and recliner began hanging up when retracting. I've had it to two different Jayco dealers and neither has been able to solve the problem. My manufacturer warranty is set to expire at the end of September and my fear is that the problem will not be solved. Hardly seems fair that I will continue to have to deal with this at my expense when it was obviously a manufacturing issue. One of the techs who worked on the problem said he didn't think the Schwintek system was appropriate for such a large slide with so much weight on one end. The Schwintek slide for the bedroom has been problem free. Of course it's considerably smaller.

Jim
Old 07-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
Welcome to the club. My 2016 North Point has had similar problems. Shortly after purchasing it, the Schwintek slide with the residential fridge and recliner began hanging up when retracting. I've had it to two different Jayco dealers and neither has been able to solve the problem. My manufacturer warranty is set to expire at the end of September and my fear is that the problem will not be solved. Hardly seems fair that I will continue to have to deal with this at my expense when it was obviously a manufacturing issue. One of the techs who worked on the problem said he didn't think the Schwintek system was appropriate for such a large slide with so much weight on one end. The Schwintek slide for the bedroom has been problem free. Of course it's considerably smaller.

Jim
Exactly the same problem with my 2016 Eagle 325BHQS. The large kitchen slide hangs up when coming in 90% of the time, but no problems with the smaller bedroom slide. I got the controller module replaced under warranty, but still the same problem.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

For you guys having problems you should read this thread and check the outriggers. I had one bent, and once fixed, my Schwintek sounds a lot better and comes in smoothly. Before it had some issues.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...lse-35795.html
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #7

Schwintec Kitchen Slide

Have 16 Eagle 321 RSTS actually have roller marks and a tear on sub floor of kitchen slide outside.Only two items left on warranty after 22 months. Morryde plastic bearings shot. And kitchen slide plastic rollers shot.In the picture attached is that the support arm you mentioned being bent?Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Roller 3.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Have 16 Eagle 321 RSTS actually have roller marks and a tear on sub floor of kitchen slide outside.Only two items left on warranty after 22 months. Morryde plastic bearings shot. And kitchen slide plastic rollers shot.In the picture attached is that the support arm you mentioned being bent?Thanks
Roller marks are totally acceptable.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

Grumpy
I agree. The problem happens like mine. Had the mark now the roller bracket is touching floor bottom and ripping into it. I have seen a bunch of other brand rvs that have a big wide strip of a heavy teflon type material on the slide bottoms where the rollers rub. And two schwintec tracks at top.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

When will jayco come up with a fix for this slide system and the rollers digging into the floor. We need to stick together a make jayco admit to this bad design and come up with a fix. We paid a lot of money for these units!
gdemorest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

If you want to get an idea of how many have problems with Schwintek slides start a survey. I'll be the first to vote. Yes I have a problem with the large kitchen Schwintek slide. Have had it worked on twice and still never know if it will go out or come in without problems. We have had many different slides and the Schwintek has been the most troublesome. Good luck.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #12

I'll vote next.... been to the dealer once already, and the big slide with res. refrig is very slot, and pops, when it moves. Very poor design
Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #13

Just picked up a 36KPTS and the refig slide started jerking the second time I used it and now the lighter one is starting to act the same after owning it about 2 weeks. I am not very happy about it. Had SOB for 3 years with heavy slides and new had an issue.
trixie1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #14

Schwin Tec Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie1304 View Post
Just picked up a 36KPTS and the refig slide started jerking the second time I used it and now the lighter one is starting to act the same after owning it about 2 weeks. I am not very happy about it. Had SOB for 3 years with heavy slides and new had an issue.
Lippert has some decent utube videos. They did recommend never open slide partially.And once fully retracted or extended hold power button down an additional 5 seconds.They also recommend lubricating motors. They also have a video on how to also.
Attached Thumbnails
Prescott 17snow.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #15

Thanks I have reviewed some of the videos already they were helpful. I am just a little concerned that they don't seem very robust.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie1304 View Post
I am just a little concerned that they don't seem very robust.
However they are used by many manufacturers and the problems are no worse than any other component based on the volume of units built. I've even seen them on WINNEBAGO class "A"s. One day at FORT WILDERNESS I counted 13 different brands with SCHWINTEKS.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #17

Thanks I feel a little better. I am just used to my old unit that hydraulic driving a rack and pinion. They were always smooth and went out evenly.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #18

The Schwintek is the slides with the side mounted rack and pinion correct?

Do others have wear in the track at the point the pinion sits when retracted? I have this on my kitchen slide. The lower bearings also have some rust on them as they likely get road splash on them.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post
For you guys having problems you should read this thread and check the outriggers. I had one bent, and once fixed, my Schwintek sounds a lot better and comes in smoothly. Before it had some issues.

Ugh... Yep, 2 of mine are bent...
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post

Pretty sure I only have those outriggers on the two slides that have the gear drive under the slide and mine weren't bent last time I checked them.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote