Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Sealing up holes in 2016 29.5 BHDS

So we took delivery of our 2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS a few weeks ago and this past weekend, I had to really close it up. So before removing the battery, I opened the slides and all storage compartments and started to look for openings where critters could get in. This is what I found.

1. Driver side near wheels, electric brake wires coming out of a large opening, which made no sense to me why it was open so much, so I used some Gorilla Tape, closed it up, but left a small opening to get some spray foam in there. I filled it up until it was coming out a little opening I left so I knew it was getting there.
2. Small opening near the dump tank so I foamed that.
3. Basement. I removed the panels that hide the heating vents, pump, and wiring. Anywhere I found an opening, I used the foam. Also, at the 2 plumbing PVC pipes coming straight down from the bathroom, I used it around there. It looked pretty closed up, but I did there too. I will shave the excess off in the spring.
Also in the basement, drivers side inside the door looking up there is an electrical box there. I sealed that up where the wires when in.
4. Inside the RV, under the fridge where the Hot Water heater is, there is a hole for pipes to go through to the belly. I foamed there and closed the panel up.

There is a grommet in the basement on the door side where it allows wires to go through to the outside. I put some dryer sheets and steel wool in there. Also when pulling the battery there is a hole at the base of the battery box for leakage and I put some steel wool in that hole.

Hope this helps anyone with this model and anyone getting one.
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

Thank you for sharing your findings. We have just took delivery of our 2016 this past weekend, and will be doing the same inspection as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
So we took delivery of our 2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS a few weeks ago and this past weekend, I had to really close it up. So before removing the battery, I opened the slides and all storage compartments and started to look for openings where critters could get in. This is what I found.

1. Driver side near wheels, electric brake wires coming out of a large opening, which made no sense to me why it was open so much, so I used some Gorilla Tape, closed it up, but left a small opening to get some spray foam in there. I filled it up until it was coming out a little opening I left so I knew it was getting there.
2. Small opening near the dump tank so I foamed that.
3. Basement. I removed the panels that hide the heating vents, pump, and wiring. Anywhere I found an opening, I used the foam. Also, at the 2 plumbing PVC pipes coming straight down from the bathroom, I used it around there. It looked pretty closed up, but I did there too. I will shave the excess off in the spring.
Also in the basement, drivers side inside the door looking up there is an electrical box there. I sealed that up where the wires when in.
4. Inside the RV, under the fridge where the Hot Water heater is, there is a hole for pipes to go through to the belly. I foamed there and closed the panel up.

There is a grommet in the basement on the door side where it allows wires to go through to the outside. I put some dryer sheets and steel wool in there. Also when pulling the battery there is a hole at the base of the battery box for leakage and I put some steel wool in that hole.

Hope this helps anyone with this model and anyone getting one.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

5rs, start at the front - rodent foam around jacks, cut 1/4 screen to fit under battery, same for propane tanks, extend bulkhead between battery/propane compartment, seal 2 inch gap across front above front storage/battery/propane (if you don't critters have full access), basement has all sorts of holes much larger than pipes and wires - rodent foam, bathroom has same - seal with rodent foam/steel wool, kitchen sink plumbing needs rodent foam/steel wool and wall/bulkhead extended to keep critters out of pots and pans, the distribution panel wiring holes - by now you know what to do, remove furnace grate - more floor penetrations to cover/seal, underneath toward back has several holes you can't get to from inside. Our "pet red squirrel" stored over 100 black walnuts in the pots and pans drawer, acorns between the sink and furnace and even under our pillows. After all that the whole back wall had to be replaced because the rear window was missing sealer. Needless to say someone else is enjoying this 5r.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #4

By reading the notes about the 26.5, I now know that whole line was built for rodents to enjoy. How bad is it when we have to spend days taking a brand new RV apart to seal up rodent holes. Now I have to wonder how many other Jayco products go cheep and do not seal for rodent protection?? My new 5r is NOT a Jayco and has all floor and wall penetrations/holes sealed, there's even zippered openings - it's all season to get to important plumbing connections. Check twice buy once and enjoy.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsFolly View Post
By reading the notes about the 26.5, I now know that whole line was built for rodents to enjoy. How bad is it when we have to spend days taking a brand new RV apart to seal up rodent holes. Now I have to wonder how many other Jayco products go cheep and do not seal for rodent protection?? My new 5r is NOT a Jayco and has all floor and wall penetrations/holes sealed, there's even zippered openings - it's all season to get to important plumbing connections. Check twice buy once and enjoy.
When I bought my HTT, I was glad I do not have an enclosed underbelly as it would have been much harder to close up all the holes. I spend an afternoon filling holes to keep critters out, even when I was done, and doing other mods around the HTT I found more holes. Every hole had a purpose, most was to allow electrical grounds through the floor to be attached to the chassis.

Glad to report I have never had a critters come for a visit.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote