Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

Sewer Smell Inside the Cabin

I have a Designer fifth wheel. When I step into the the cabin from outside, I'm smacked with a sewer/black water smell. Yet, when I stand next to the cammode, there is no smell at all. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks.
Waynebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have any roof vents open? If not, open the cabinet door under the kitchen sink and see if you smell it there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

There should be a vacuum check valve somewhere in your system that opens when water goes down and closes when not. It's part of the vent system so that water drains well without May be under your sink. See if you can locate it.

There also may be vacuum valves on top of the sewer vent on top of roof that could also be stuck closed, forcing venting to occur elsewhere.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

Check here for some possible scenarios : RV Plumbing | Fresh Water Tank | Dump Tanks | Water Heater | Grey

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

We were the stink of the campground last summer over 4th of July. I looked flushed, bleached, soaped... you name i did what I could do to clean that damn black tank after we had gotten home. In the meantime we had unplugged and never dawned on us the sMell went away. Two week later we plug in again to get ready to go and a day later the smell is back, did I mention these tanks were clean... anyway I hear this sizzle by the batteries and stick my nose by it and boom the sulfuric gas stunk like sewer... bad batteries were culprit.
Pegsmi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #6

Add water to the sinks and bath tub, The P trap may have dried out and is allowing air from the tanks back in. I've had our shower dry up before after sitting in the heat or for a long time.

Ross..
Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoW View Post
Add water to the sinks and bath tub, The P trap may have dried out and is allowing air from the tanks back in. I've had our shower dry up before after sitting in the heat or for a long time.

Ross..
Thanks...will give it a try
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
We were the stink of the campground last summer over 4th of July. I looked flushed, bleached, soaped... you name i did what I could do to clean that damn black tank after we had gotten home. In the meantime we had unplugged and never dawned on us the sMell went away. Two week later we plug in again to get ready to go and a day later the smell is back, did I mention these tanks were clean... anyway I hear this sizzle by the batteries and stick my nose by it and boom the sulfuric gas stunk like sewer... bad batteries were culprit.
Thanks...I never considered the batteries. Will check it out
Old 04-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
There should be a vacuum check valve somewhere in your system that opens when water goes down and closes when not. It's part of the vent system so that water drains well without May be under your sink. See if you can locate it.

There also may be vacuum valves on top of the sewer vent on top of roof that could also be stuck closed, forcing venting to occur elsewhere.
Thanks for the tips...will check it out
Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynebo View Post
Thanks for the tips...will check it out
I've had odor problems with the tank vent located under the sink, I recently cleaned it and so far so good, if not I'll try replacing the valve.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #11

I had the issue with my last 5er and ended up putting liquid deodorizer in the gray water tank for the kitchen, problem solved.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #12

little oil

Add a little oil to the drains with p-traps, it will keep the water from evaporating and letting the stink back in. A teaspoon should do.
Magna-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegsmi98 View Post

We had exactly the same issue year before last. We were at Kiptopeke State Park in Va.....I had them move us from the site we were....Camp Host kept telling me it was leaking grey water tank...to cut the covering underneath for closer investigation. Literally, got to sniffing around and discovered it was the battery.....disconnected...no more issues.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water smell, cammode, foul smell, sewer smell