Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
That's the kit I was originally looking at. I'm still unsure if I need it or not. Maybe after you get yours and report your findings I'll get them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was hoping you would do it first.

I guess I'm your Hucklebeerry
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
I was hoping you would do it first.

I guess I'm your Hucklebeerry

LOL! I need to get my trailer back from the dealer. If the brakes actually work, I may go ahead and add the shocks otherwise I'll be spending the money to upgrade to disc brakes. Guess we'll see who ends up being the guinea pig first. [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #43

Well Magnolia Tom the Joy Rider Shock's are on.
http://tweetys.com/joy-rider-trailer...trECz2y8EGoBoC
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

It is a little bit of work but a doable project. It is definitely a good reason to get a battery powered 1/2" impact if you don't have one. I also used a angle drill and some short drill bits I had. You can use your existing U-bolt. The tie plates are thicker so you do not have the Stiffener Plates in the kit. I called Sonny at RV Improvements Systems to verify this. I also used a 21/64 bit on the upper shock mounting brackets (it worked good on the 2"x3" steel tubing). I torqued the U-bolt to 90 ft lbs as per Lippert specifications. The shocks are to be 13 1/2"-14 1/2" from center hole to center hole with trailer on the ground. So the upper shock mounting brackets where about 2" from the center hanger. When I mounted the shock to the upper bracket the shock was touching just a little so I added an extra washer with the 1/2" spacer.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can try them out.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #44

Nicely done 2naEagle! Can't wait to hear the results of your test pull

Old 05-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #45

Wow you have lots of new shiny stuff under there!!
Looks good!

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Only thing that looks odd to me is the opposing directions of the shocks that close together, seems it would make the ride worse

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Well Magnolia Tom the Joy Rider Shock's are on.
Travel Trailer Shock Kits | RV Suspension Systems | Tweetys.com
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

It is a little bit of work but a doable project. It is definitely a good reason to get a battery powered 1/2" impact if you don't have one. ...... The tie plates are thicker so you do not have the Stiffener Plates in the kit. I called Sonny at RV Improvements Systems to verify this.
Very nice setup. I had pretty much the same experience, Sonny also told me the stiffener plates weren't needed. Those u bolts just aren't long enough to use them.

My experience is that stuff in the camper is not nearly as strewn about after the install, interested to hear your results. Also X2 on the battery impact, makes quick work of those bolts.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #48

Man, I'm OCD, like lay on a creeper and clean the underbelly OCD, and my junk don't look that clean underneath. Looks good.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Man, I'm OCD, like lay on a creeper and clean the underbelly OCD, and my junk don't look that clean underneath. Looks good.
I Resemble that remark

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #50

Found this video
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #51

Looking at the video and listening the final results I would agree that chucking is reduced. Instead of carrying on for 2-4 cycles it is now 1-2 cycles at most, if not removed overall. There is no way I am going to remove it 100% due to my length and weights, but it's less so far for the little I have towed with the new setup. The next 3 weeks will by my test over the 800 miles we're towing.

Another thing I noticed is that the Joy riders go in an opposite direction vs the Lippert that I put on my unit. If your axles are under slung like mine you can go with either. If over slung like 2naeagle the Joy rider would be a better fit due to length of the shock travel and clearances needed.

I really like that disc brake conversion you did .
Attached Thumbnails
image2.jpg  

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Man, I really do appreciate those comments. As always, bring it here, stay for free (full hook ups), pay for the materials, enjoy the company, and get more than you'd get at a dealer. The offer is always there. If I don't know how to do it, come anyway, WE will figure it out. Thanks guys.
BigJohn,

Have never met you, but have followed some of your posts, and the praise you get. We our going to go Full Time October 2018 and heading South from October through May. Will make sure we do a Trip through Louisiana to meet you. The world needs more people like you out there.

I help out our fellow campers at our Seasonal Campground in NH with issues which always gives me a good feeling and makes it a better place.

Take Care, and Thanks
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
gman03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #53

Well in know it's been a long time but we finally got out for a trip 315 miles form home in Alabama to River Plantation in Sevierville TN. The Joy Rider Shock seems to work as advertised. I can't say I could tell a overwhelming differences but all seemed to be riding petty good. Microwave plate still bounce out of place. I left a measuring tape on the counter top and it was still there. Trailer pulled very well and did not appear to be bouncing as much as I remember on the last trip. I would recommend them mostly because I really think you need something to help the ride of the trailer.

On a side note the disc brakes work Great. Had a guy pull out in front of me and stop (it was bad). I really think the brakes saved the day. (could be why the microwave dish was out??)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Eagle - Do a break test and measurement with your current brakes and then do one with the disk setup after the install. I know it will be night & day, but I'm curious what the actual difference will be.

BTW, I too am jealous!
I don't know about all the measurement but I can tell you they will stop you and I mean good. Had a guy pull out in front of me and stop (it was bad). I really think the brakes saved the day.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #55

I'm looking for a better ride out of my fiver and found this thread. I don't know if it's due to the stiffness of the S637's or not as I never towed loaded without them (bought unit used, swapped after getting it home). I've left pictures laying in the rear cupboards and the glass has broken. I no longer carry my bikes on the bumper (mounted in bsmt now) as they get shaken to death. Considering the IS system but maybe shocks are all I need.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #56

I have independent suspension with shocks. Pulls very nice but this is my first 5th wheel so I don't have comparison.

Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #57

We had the same problem with our North Point 387 RDFS. It bounced along down the road to the point where we actually worried about the severity of the bounce. My husband was bound and determined to put shocks on it but he checked something else first (old tire salesman). We determined that the tires that the unit came with were too 'light' in the sidewall which created a trampoline effect. We replaced the tires with 14 ply sidewall tires and the problem has gone away. The original tires were 10 plys and no matter how much we inflated them, they bounced. Also with only one trip on the tires, the passenger front side tire was 'cupped' so it was obvious that it wasn't up to carrying the weight required. Perhaps try changing the tires first. On our North Point, the 'G' tires were an option that the dealer hadn't ordered.
Moparmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #58

One more report on the shocks. Back home from Tennessee. MIcrowave plate in place. I think the shocks are worth the effort.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #59

Quote:
One more report on the shocks. Back home from Tennessee. MIcrowave plate in place. I think the shocks are worth the effort.

Thanks for the update! I think I will be adding some to mine soon.