Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Should I use Residential Fridge Filtered Water and Ice cubes

Our 2016 Pinnacle 36FBTS comes with a residential fridge as many of you know. When I picked up the fw, I was warned by the tech doing the walk through that there was not a good way to winterize the water lines going to the residential fridge. Apparently, they have had some freeze ups that cause a good deal of problems because the water line to the fridge does not have a reliable way of winterizing.

The lady cautioned us on using the filtered water feature and ice cube feature of the fridge. We are going on a 17 day trip. We would like to use these but don't want to buy ourselves any trouble.

Has anyone got experience winterizing the water line to the residential fridge in the 36FBTS model of Pinnacle?

For those who own Pinnacle 36FBTS, do you use the filtered water and ice cube features of your fridge?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

True concerning winterizing the water line, take it loose at shutoff and drain it.

Your fridge is in a slide, therefore the water line is exposed. We froze ours even with an extreme weather package.

as for using the filter with the ice maker? We do..........
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
True concerning winterizing the water line, take it loose at shutoff and drain it.

Your fridge is in a slide, therefore the water line is exposed. We froze ours even with an extreme weather package.

as for using the filter with the ice maker? We do..........
Thanks Loboclone. So are you saying that your remove the water line at the shutoff and drain it? No way to get antifreeze in the line I guess. No freezing issues if you just leave it to drain without antifreeze.

We definitely want to use ours so I appreciate your input.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

If you shut off the valve under the sink and leave the valve open under the oven, then open the drain valve under the kitchen slide it will drain all the water in the fridge water line.
Then hold the water dispenser open to hopefully let air in and let the water drain out of the fridge.
You can buy a filter with no filter in it to replace the real filter so the water in the filter is out of the draining equation.
Also make the ice maker make ice so the solenoid will open and drain water out.

If you are still worried, you could blow air through the fridge to be extra sure.

I don't think putting antifreeze into the fridge is such a good idea. It won't come out all that easily and you'll taste it.

The ice maker is one of the best things about that fridge. Get it making ice!!
Don't forget to dump it when you are done camping though, if you forget and lose power it will be a mess.

I hated the taste of the camp water where we frequent. After it goes through the whole house filter and then the fridge filter, it taste like spring water!

2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

I winterized ours this past winter with air. Just hook up the air compressor and get inside with a cup and push door water/ice fill and keep going until you get air. We had a couple of freezes down here in N. TX and I didn't have any problems.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
If you shut off the valve under the sink and leave the valve open under the oven, then open the drain valve under the kitchen slide it will drain all the water in the fridge water line.
Then hold the water dispenser open to hopefully let air in and let the water drain out of the fridge.
You can buy a filter with no filter in it to replace the real filter so the water in the filter is out of the draining equation.
Also make the ice maker make ice so the solenoid will open and drain water out.

If you are still worried, you could blow air through the fridge to be extra sure.

I don't think putting antifreeze into the fridge is such a good idea. It won't come out all that easily and you'll taste it.

The ice maker is one of the best things about that fridge. Get it making ice!!
Don't forget to dump it when you are done camping though, if you forget and lose power it will be a mess.

I hated the taste of the camp water where we frequent. After it goes through the whole house filter and then the fridge filter, it taste like spring water!

Thanks KLassic, we definitely want to make use of the filtered water and ice. We have them at home and love them.

I like the idea of using compressed air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I winterized ours this past winter with air. Just hook up the air compressor and get inside with a cup and push door water/ice fill and keep going until you get air. We had a couple of freezes down here in N. TX and I didn't have any problems.
Appreciate your suggestion. I used a combination of air and antifreeze on our Eagle. Never had any problems. We live in Virginia and do get some good freezes.

Never thought about it for the fridge. I really like that. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #7

It isn't that hard to winterize the ice maker. Get the filter with no "innerds" from Frigidaire and when you winterize the rest of the camper drain the water out thru the drain under the slide first and then just hold the ice maker button down and it will cycle to make ice. It takes a bit and you will have to cycle it a couple of times- you can watch the fluid flow down the chute into the tray in the back, soak up any water that comes in during the first cycle with paper towels and when you see the pink anti freeze come in it'll be winterized.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlakes View Post
It isn't that hard to winterize the ice maker. Get the filter with no "innerds" from Frigidaire and when you winterize the rest of the camper drain the water out thru the drain under the slide first and then just hold the ice maker button down and it will cycle to make ice. It takes a bit and you will have to cycle it a couple of times- you can watch the fluid flow down the chute into the tray in the back, soak up any water that comes in during the first cycle with paper towels and when you see the pink anti freeze come in it'll be winterized.
That is awesome to know fingerLakes. Thanks for the detailed instructions. That is very, very helpful. Didn't realize that the fridge could be winterized in that way. It makes me feel a lot better using the fridge when I know it can be winterized easily.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

I was hesitant to open the water valve to my ice maker on my new rig because I was thinking ahead to winterizing. Then I said, the heck with it, I want ice, I'll worry about draining the line in the fall. My GE model fridge has ice maker only, no water dispenser. There is no inline water filter to it either according to Jayco. The only filter I have is the blue Camco that I attached outside to the city connection. Surprisingly, there's not much info online regarding residential fridge (with water lines) winterization. This thread is very useful!

Tags
pinnacle 36fbts, residential fridge, winterizing