Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #1

Slide awning opinions

We just ordered a new 29.5BHDS. We are getting awnings over the slides. We have always had them and prefer them because we camp in wooded areas. At first we ordered black awnings to match the trailer trim and main awning. After thinking about it for a few, I realized that we have a clear sky light in our main slide. Now I'm not sure sure we want the black or if we should get white. Dont know if black will darken it inside or make it hotter? I'd prefer none because it does add a lot of natural light. Also white may look funny because nothing on the trailer is white anymore.

Any opinions, current sit-ups, or experience?
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #2

I think that it would darken the inside of the trailer.
I would go white. It would protect the sky light from things falling on it
(branches) If the side has windows in it. it will still get lots of natural light
Attached Thumbnails
003.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #3

Any other opinions as to color of slide awning with new exterior cream/black design? Black would be obvious choice if not for clear skylight in slide.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Black would never be my choice. Part of the reason we put on covers was to help keep the slide cooler. Black would draw heat. I know you said that you camp in wooded areas. Then black wouldn't be so bad. If you end up out in the sun at any time, I think you would have a change of heart. I personally would go with a lighter color.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #5

If i put slide awnings on mine they will be black to match the front one. They are white on the underside and i really doubt either color would change the amount of sunlight that would come through the skylight......any awning over the skylight is going to block the sunshine imo unless it is clear.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #6

We bought a 2014 Eagle Rlts. It is the cream and black exterior. I installed black slide toppers. They look real good and match the black and the awning that was factory. I did not think about it but it covered the sky light in the table slide and does not let light in. Does not bother me, as I would prefer the slide awning over the sky light, plus it has a sky light in the kitchen. I would install the black again.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

If the porch awning is black, I'd go black on the slide awnings, too. I believe the underside of most awnings is white, so you'll see white through the sky light anyway.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #9

Did you pick up your trailer yet UPC? Im about 99% sure I'll be adding slide awnings to mine this winter.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #10

We are picking it up on Thurs. It came in from the factory and we went and inspected it. To say I'm stoked is an understatement. They are doing the install this week on our additions. We decided to go with black awnings.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
Did you pick up your trailer yet UPC? Im about 99% sure I'll be adding slide awnings to mine this winter.
My 29.5BHDS is home. Everything is good, so far. I went with the black slide covers and I would do that again if I had to. Look great.

I have a couple of questions for you though. I guess this floor plan is new to the service department guys at the dealer because they couldn't answer a couple. Have you found the water pump and is there a winterization kit? I hear it in the back but I am unsure how to get to it. I believe it was supposed to have the kit, but it seem like it might be tricky to get to it. My last Jayco was super easy.

Also, I just realized we have three gray tanks, what goes to which and of the four handles, what handle dumps through what port? I would think both rear handles would go to rear port, but it seems the front most of the rear handles goes to front port.

I haven't had but a few minutes to go through the manuals but they seem very generic to the Eagle line. I can't find much useful info for this floor plan.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #12

The water pump is in the back, under the bunk steps. The vertical part under the top step has 2 screws in it and it comes off to access. They are a winterizeration kit under there too.

On the dump handles starting at the front, the front one is the black tank. The second and third handle is the grey tanks. They all dump at the outlet right there with the handles. The handle and outlet in the very back is just for the outdoor kitchen sink.

Hopefully that helps. I'd like to see pictures of the slide toppers if and when you get time.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #13

It's up against the garage right now so I can't get a pic but we are taking it camping this week so when I get it out I'll snap some pictures for you.

That makes me feel better about the winterization kit. I was kind of worried it was going to be a real pain. Only panel I could find while quickly glancing at it was the furnace. I'm on the road now so didn't have much time to look.

As far as the drains, the "third" seemed to drain from the front hole for some reason. I didnt think that was correct that's why I asked but I just did a real quick test before I left my house. So the very last handle is for the outdoor kitchen. I let that faucet run for a little bit just to see what tank it filled and that's what I figured. Doesn't seem like a huge tank if the indicator is correct but we won't use it much.

Thanks! I will probably have a few more questions once we break it in later this week.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #14

Yup, the panel right above the furnace panel is for the water pump, one screw in each end.

I haven't checked to be sure, but i think the first grey tank and handle are for the bathroom. I think the second grey tank and handle are for the kitchen. I know the very rear one is just for the outdoor sink. I suspected it to be smaller to but havent confirmed it. We've only used our outdoor sink once to try it out in probably 30ish days of camping. Biggest reason we wanted the outdoor kitchen was for the outside refrigerator which gets LOTS of use...well worth the money just for the fridge in our opinion. With 2 little ones the outdoor fridge saves lots of running in and out of the camper.

We love our 29.5 bhds. Usually i find some stuff i dont like after awhile, but not the case here. If i had to buy another camper tomorrow, it would be the exact same thing.

Just a little heads up, you will probably want to get a mattress topper for the main bed. The Denver mattress was super comfortable to me at first.....slept better than my bed at home. After about 15 nights in it though, it started to get a bad sunk it spot on both sides and we're not big people at all. Woke up in the morning feeling like we slept on a sheet of plywood lol. Yesterday we got a 4" memory foam topper before going to our lake site, where our trailer stays in the summer, that made last nights sleep much better!

Happy camping trying out the new rig!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #15

I'm having trouble attaching multiple photos to the same post, so here's a couple individually.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #16

Another
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #17

You are right about this floor plan. We fell in love the second we walked in at the lot. We went to buy it and someone had minutes before us put a deposit on it so we ordered this one. We love the exterior storage and the outside pantry. Most of our cooking is outside and I get sick of going in an out. Also the large bunks are great for kids and guests. So far, everything is working properly. I found the winterization kit, thanks! Only trouble I am having is a creaking?! In the floor when you walk in. Also, the max payload on the trailer is listed at about half of what it showed in the brochure but no problem because we don't haul water or anything. Just surprised at where the extra trailer weight came from.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #18

Awnings look great! I'll be adding them to mine this winter more than likely....same color too to match the front.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

We also have a 2014 Eagle but the 33.5RETS model. We also went with the black slide toppers and just love them. I'm just getting too danged old to be climbing on roofs to sweep off water and debris. These just make it sooooo nice!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #20

I don't understand something. I just picked up my 2014 33.5 RETS the first of the month and asked the dealer about installing slideout awnings. He stated the factory would void the warrentry if they were put on, and he wouldn't do it. I have a call in to the factory service department now for a answer from "the horse's mouth" My last 5th wheel had them installed at the factory(not a Jayco) and really liked them, so I want them again.
jerbs280 is offline   Reply With Quote