Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #21

Quote:
I found my round-to-it
101vet, any chance you would share in detail as to how you tightened your spring tension? Both of my slide covers could use it. Also, forgive me but I'm not familiar with what a "round-to-it" is. My slide covers are Carefree as well. Thanks, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Greetings Terry,

Most of my projects don't get started until I get around to it. So the round-to-it is a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor on that subject.

Carefree of Colorado seems to have a variety of components doing the same thing so I'll do my best to explain what I did with mine. Note that this is a 2003 RV so very possibly your newer rig will have a newer model cover. This page will help with identifying the parts I am talking about: http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/do...0Deflector.pdf

Look on page three for the breakdown of parts.
First off, retract the slide until it is just extended a few inches. Next remove item 13, the deflector. If yours has a case I guess you will need to remove the case. The idea is to gain access to the roll bar. Next remove item 7, left hand end cap. Next, take the retaining screw out of Item 4, mounting bracket. This is the screw that holds item 6, the pivot end assembly. The diagram shows this item on the right end but it is on both ends and I worked from the left end because that is the end the spring is on with my model.

Next you will find a bolt that goes through the pivot end assembly and into the end of the roll bar. Use care when removing that bolt as the removal will allow the roll bar to unwind in a hurry. Mine has a couple of 1/4" holes in the sides of the roll bar end to use for control. Just insert a punch or drill bit into one of the holes and hold onto it tight while loosening that last bolt. Once the bolt is out and the roll bar is secured by the punch go ahead and remove the pivot assembly. Now you can either add a few turns to the spring tension by turning the roll bar or you can back the tension completely off so that you will know exactly how many turns you are putting on. I just added about 3 turns and then tested carefully to make sure I didn't have it too tight. This is what Carefree recommends:

Calculating the Spring Winds
The spring winds are calculated based on the box length of the slide-out. To calculate the spring winds
(room closed), measure the box length IN FEET.
Box Length Winds Required
• Less than 5' Spring Winds = 9
• 5' to 16' 4" Spring Winds = Number of feet + 5
Example: Box Length = 10' 4"; spring winds = 10 + 5 = 15.
Always round down to the nearest whole number.

After you get the spring wound to the place you want it, just reverse the process and put everything back together.

I should add a disclaimer here: This is a potentially dangerous job in that the spring is under a lot of tension and if it gets away from you spinning parts could injure. It is recommended that two people be present when working on these things but I charged in without help and it wasn't that hard a job.

Feel free to make me clarify anything or you can PM me for a phone number if you would benefit from conversation.

Good luck!
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdixon View Post
I had them on one 5th wheel and would never buy them again. Every time the wind blew a little, they would get to oscillating so bad that it necessitated bringing all of the slides in. Whenever it rained, they would collect water and sag down on to the top of the slide making it difficult to retract. Also leaves would occasionally become trapped between the awning and the top of the slide. I find it easier and less stressful to just clear the top of the slides with an electric leaf blower rather than deal with all of issues caused by the awnings.
I believe ours weren't installed with enough "slant" and they always fill up with water after a rain, meaning someone either has to get up on the roof and sweep the water out with a broom, or we have to turn to lowering or raising the front landing gear bringing in the slides to drain the awnings. They do shade the tops of the slides and keep leaves, etc. off....I like that..... but I'm beginning to think they're more trouble than they're worth. We have had to bring in the slides in high winds, too, for fear the awnings would be damaged. We leave Florida for four to five months at a time; when we're staying a night here, a few nights there, it's not a big problem. But when we settle down for a month or a summer, it's a hassle draining the water off.
Jamarynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

I think that if I had as much trouble with slide covers as you guys do I'd just get rid of them.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #25

101vet, Thank you for the in-dept reply on how to tighten the slide toppers. I will print your instructions and give it a try. Of course, I'm going to have to wait until it stops snowing and actually gets above freezing. Thanks again, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote