Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
Here is what i am calling drip rail, you can see it is right above the slide out.
Here is an end shot it doesn't have a groove for awning.
Sorry for the delay. That would get removed and replaced with the awning rail. The awning itself would do the same thing that piece of aluminun does. As I stated the awning rail would get installed groove side up.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

I hear you on the high price. They have been on the two rigs I have owned that had them. I like the covers, but wouldn't pay that much for them outright. As far as making a cover like you suggest, I personally don't think they are that big a deal. It's more the convenience of not having to sweep the top of the slide off before retracting and managing a home made deal like that would be more work, IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sorry for the delay. That would get removed and replaced with the awning rail. The awning itself would do the same thing that piece of aluminun does. As I stated the awning rail would get installed groove side up.
Thanks the slide out awnings are on my list of mods. Hope to get them installed by summer.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
I hear you on the high price. It's more the convenience of not having to sweep the top of the slide off before retracting and managing a home made deal like that would be more work, IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Well since I will be living in my 5er it's alot cheaper for me to make them as stated in my other post then to pay BIG BUCKS for those other type of awning when I'm on a limited income.
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozerdude View Post
Well since I will be living in my 5er it's alot cheaper for me to make them as stated in my other post then to pay BIG BUCKS for those other type of awning when I'm on a limited income.
Hi Hozerdude, I did a lousy job of making a point. I was trying to say that IMO, it isn't that big a big deal to have any slide cover at all. The Montana I had last year didn't have them and I wouldn't/couldn't spend the money to get them. It was not a big deal to just verify that there wasn't any debris on top of the slide or sweep it off if there was something before retracting the slide. The slide seals will keep out the weather with or without the covers.

Again, good luck and happy RVing. (I have a hard time saying "camping" when I have so many comforts)
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #26

At my seasonal site….

Before Slide cover: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_0358.jpg

In above picture, notice the crud, notice the water pooling stain and notice PITA to clean it as well.

After pictures my "slopped" custom slide cover (hard cover):
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/CoverTop.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ite/Cover6.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ideCover-3.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/IMG_0098.jpg

As seen in above pictures, sloped hard cover is excellent for heavy rains, keeping "crud" off the slide's flat room top and no worry about water leaks either. And, no wind flapping noise either...

It works great for seasonal camp sites. If one has season site, custom hard cover is worth it….
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 PM   #27

If into only soft material slide covers / slide topper (for portable RVs), surf:

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote