Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #1

Unhappy Slide problem

Howdy all,
Sorry to bother you all again with another problem. I'm having another issue with my new to me 1995 Jayco Designer 3430RK SS. I brought it home at Thanksgiving time, and was able to extend and retract the living room/dining room super slide numerous times. It has been retracted for about a week now. I went to extend it today, and it didn't budge, nor did I hear any motors running. Also, the lights in the slide do not work now. It has been bitterly cold (minus zero for lows) and we had about a foot of snow. I have had it plugged in to the house this entire time, and the battery is fully charged. Any ideas?
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #2

Slide Issue

If you live in the frozen tundra, I would bet the slide rubber seal is froozen to the side of the RV.

Check your DC fuse in the fuse panel to the slide pump to see if it is blown
Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #3

Thanks kcconawa,

I've checked all the DC fuses at the fuse panel under the sink (located next to the 120V AC breakers). Is there another location for fuses for the slide?

As far as frozen seal, nothing is happening at the slide motor, and the indicator light on the slide switch doesn't come on. This makes me think that there is no power to the switch and/or the slide motor.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #4

Howdy everyone.
The slide out is FIXED! Turns out it was an inline fuse in the battery compartment. I would never have thought of looking there if not for a suggestion from another forum. I still do not have lights in the slide itself, while all other lights work, but it is just too cold to mess with that right now. That is a warm weather fix.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #5

Howdy all,
I finally got the slide lights to work. Turned out it was a broken 12 volt wire under the rig. I was finally able to crawl under there and track it down. I also got a roll of eternabond and took care of the roof. Now I don't have to worry about any future leaks caused by caulking age/failure.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #6

Not sure where your at, but if you're facing freezing temps you might already know this... about twice per winter I spray a rag with a silicone lubricant and wipe down all the rubber seals on the car doors & trunks. This prevents the rubber from freezing onto the vehicle itself when things get cold. I do this once in the fall, and usually once more mid-winter. The silicone 'conditions' the rubber, and helps discourage dampness from causing the rubber to freeze onto other surfaces.

I don't have a slide on our TT, but suspect in theory, the same practice might be wise as it would protect the rubber and possibly help it last a few extra years.....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip, McMonk. I live in northeast Nebraska, so we don't get near as cold as you in Canada. I have noticed a problem with rubber seals sticking in the winter. I'll give your idea a try.