Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

Slide tripping self resetting breaker

HI all, slide out issue here. We have a 2014 31.5 quad bunk eagle and when the main slide is coming in it trips the 20amp self resetting breaker. This can happen up to three times. It used to only do it once or so. I always blamed my wife for putting heavy stuff in the drawers under the dinette. This is shore line or batteries. Batteries are 11 months old. Ok so here is a list of what I've done

-electrical schematic from jayco for my coach
-used volt meter and am getting 12.58v at slot 18, at the power center, for the mainlide
-11.44v at both slide switches
-10.50v at slide motor when operated.
-replaced 20 amp breaker and tightened all battery terminals

So here is where I found something interesting. Stamped on the venture slide motor it say 30 amp/12volt. Why is this going through a 20 amp circuit? Or is it? Am I missing something? Maybe the converter? I will say, the best I can see, the wires go from the front slide motor towards the back of the coach. My control panel is forward of this motor. My schematic is vague so to see the actual route of power-switch-motor is not to apparent. I sure hope there is an electrical guru out there. Thanks in advance

John
gacnik123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

Is it possible that the self resetting breaker is bad? In my dealings with electrical (12v and 120v), it is possible. Then again, you said you already replaced it. Standing by to see if anybody else can contribute.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:40 AM   #3

You have a voltage drop which will cause higher amperage. Find what is causing the voltage drop. The 11.44 at the switches is low. The 12.58 at the fuse seems low. You have a voltage drop from the converter to the switch. What voltage do you get at the batteries? Is your meter accurate? The ground you could be using to check voltage could be bad causing the low readings and the voltage drop.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply. Voltage at the battery was right around 12.60 ish not plugged in. When I checked the voltage at the switch I grounded right there at the switch and backed it up with a jumper over to the ground wire at the panel. Both read 11.4. Are the wires for the slide switches coming off the converter? These campers get me a little confused because of the mix of AC/DC. Half tempted to run a new ground wire from the motor to a clean frame rail. I can't see where the attached there ground. I will keep this thread up to date as much as possible. Work takes me away in clumps so I'll try other things when I get home. Thanks again. John
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

You definitely have a voltage drop between the fuse and the switch. The motor is reversible so you can't ground the "ground" to the frame or it will only work in one direction.

Plug your trailer in and wait a few hours and read the batteries and the fuse voltage and post it.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

Will Do. I'm at the Fire Dept today will get r done tomorrow. Thanks Earl
Old 06-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

Ok so voltage at the switch while plugged in is 12.5 and 11.7 when unplugged. 13.6 @ batteries when charging. 12.8 on batteries after fully charged and sitting all night, unplugged, on my work bench, with nothing hooked up.

I called progressive dynamics to rule out the converter and all checked fine. All grounds, that I can access, checked for continuity and so far all is good. Under my counter I found another electrical section that has slide in and slide out relays and fuses. Does anybody think this could be the culprit and if so how do I test? I also checked all nuts for tightness. Thanks John
Old 06-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

I'm betting your slide needs lubricating. Buy a can of silicone and crawl underneath and spray it all over the tracks and any little wheels you can find. It also wouldn't hurt to spray some where the rubber weatherstripping on your RV rubs against the slide.

The voltage drop is probably due to the fact that the motor is straining to move the slide.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I'm betting your slide needs lubricating. Buy a can of silicone and crawl underneath and spray it all over the tracks and any little wheels you can find. It also wouldn't hurt to spray some where the rubber weatherstripping on your RV rubs against the slide.

The voltage drop is probably due to the fact that the motor is straining to move the slide.
This was the exact same problem I had with my North Point. Solution was to lubricate the above-listed areas. Have not had a problem with it since.

Jim
Old 06-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #10

Do you guys spray the black carbon fiber looking material on the bottom of the slide? I know it slides in on a Teflon like strip. Thanks John
Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacnik123 View Post
Do you guys spray the black carbon fiber looking material on the bottom of the slide? I know it slides in on a Teflon like strip. Thanks John
Yes I did. The only downside was that the spray was black and when we pulled in the slide it got on the carpet. It did clean up, but was somewhat of a hassle. However, it did solve the problem for me.

Jim
Old 07-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #12

Replaced 20amp breaker, lubricated all my slide tracks and as mentioned earlier tightened all cables I could. Also lightened up the slide by moving heavy stuff out of drawers to other places. Slide came in and never popped the breaker. So for now I'm gonna go with it. Thank you all for the advise. Great group!