Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Slider Hitch needed for 6.5ft Short Bed?

Its me again. With another question of course.

I am looking at one of the Jayco Eagle Touring Edition 5th Wheels. Apparently, it doesn't come with an option for Reese Revolution anymore, rather the Mor/Ryde Pin Box.

My truck is a 6.5ft short bed. I noticed that almost all 'NEWER' Jayco 5th Wheels have the front end corners with a little indentation for more clearance. Also, does anyone know whether the Mor/Ryde has an extended pin box? I suppose a combination of a little indentation on the front end corners plus an extended pin box would cure the short bed (6.5ft) turn radius clearance issue.

Anyway, I have been doing a lot of research on here and there appears to be some sort of mixed responses regarding the use of a slider on the 'NEWER' 5th wheels.

Does anybody out there pull a short bed truck (6.5ft) with a standard non-slide hitch on the newer Jayco's without any tighter turn radius issues?

PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
I have a F250 with 6.5 bed and Reese hitch. I pull a 2013 Eagle 1.5 RLTS and haven't had any issues with turning.

2013 Eagle 31.5 RLTS, 2016 Ford F-250 Lariat w/tow pacakge, Crew, 6.7
chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods
I would encourage all with a short bed to do a test in the parking lot and see how far you can go without contact. My friend has a 7' bed Dodge with a slider hitch that wasn't working very well and when he got in a tight spot he was too preoccupied to keep an eye out and the result was sickening.

I exited on a rural off ramp just to let the dog out for a break and found that I couldn't get right to the opposing on ramp. I wound up headed down a two lane road into the countryside with no indication when I'd be able to safely turn around. We finally came to an odd shaped intersection where I could pull down a spur to the right and double back on the tiny side road and immediately hang a reverse left onto the road back to the interstate. I would have absolutely been stuck if I hadn't had the ability to back around under the 5er as far as possible. I was a full 90 degrees by the time I could finish the turn.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
I have a SWB Chevy 2500 and was able to jack knife our 2011, 2012 and now our 2014 Eagle 5ers without hitting the cab, and using a non slider Reese 15k hitch. Like 101 vet mentioned though, I would suggest testing it in a controlled situation before finding out the hard way that you don't have enough clearance.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
I have a '12 F250 and a reese slider hitch. >85% of the time I do not need it BUT there have been a couple of times that it has been critical to either get in or get out of a spot. The nice part of the slider hitch is that I know if its extended i do not have to worry about the cab hitting the trailer cap so I can focus on the rest of whats going on.
FiverForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
I have a Reese 16K manual slider with my 2005 Sierra Crew Cab (6'5" box) and I have never used the sliding capability on level ground and have made some tight turns forward and reverse. The only time I failed is when backing into an extremely tight campsite not realizing the back wheels of the truck went down and the 5er wheels went up causing the over hang to lower right in to the back window. It sounded like a shotgun going off. Of course the Navigator has never reminded me to...please use the slider.
Married To The Navigator
2005 Red GMC Duramax 4X4 HD Crew Cab
2012 321RLTS
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
I think it’s better to spend a few extra dollars up front for the slider option, and not need it, then to find out the hard way you really did need it. The repair bill for one cab contact incident would be more than the differential cost of a slider hitch. Along the same preventive measures line, look into a “bed saver” for the hitch, which would catch the pin if it happens to slide out of the hitch due to not being fully engaged. That type of mistake is not a pretty sight.
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
We have a Ford short bed and a B&W non slide hitch, so far no problems but I do have the hitch set up at the rearmost and upper most position. One thing to think about is when you are on uneven terrain such as entering or leaving a driveway, when the truck is on flat ground and the trailer is higher, if you enter a turn it changes the clearance of the cab and could possibly be a problem. Just be aware and watch your clearance and you should be fine.

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
We have a F250 short bed as well, I do have a slider hitch but seldom have to use it but I do keep a very close watch when I am making tight turns maneuvering into sites etc. So far so good.
rbarker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
We bought the pullrite superslide. Cost was about $850 and it fit on standard rails. Took away the worry at a nominal cost. Well worth the money.

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote