Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

Slides--Not Happy

I will apologize in advance for this post. It may drag on too long and perhaps seem like the ravings of a deranged individual. We have owned our 2016 Jayco North Point 311 RKTS for less than a week. We have yet to spend a night in it. Here in NW Montana the season is pretty much over, at least for us. Today I decided to put the slides in. As the long slide (Schwintek) with the couch and residential refrigerator began to retract, it quit after moving approximately three inches. It was obvious that the slide motors were not retracting at the same rate. After several tries with no luck, I retracted the long slide on the other side (not Schwintek). Once it was retracted I then attempted to retract the Schwintek slide and was able to complete it. I then extended the non Schwintek side followed by the Schwintek side. No problem. Once again the Schwinteck slide would not retract. This time when I attempted to retract the other slide, it quit after moving approximately six inches. It appeared that the hangup was at the top, although it's hard to tell. After several tries I was able to get both slides in and ran away while I could.

I have read several complaint about the Schwintek system and have to wonder why Jayco continues to use them. I have shouted praise of Jayco since I purchased my first one in 1995. Now I'm starting to wonder.

I could go on but I would probably be repeating myself. Unfortunately the dealer from whom I purchased this trailer is 300 miles away. Gonna have to spend some quality phone time I guess. Thanks for listening.

Jim
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

Possibly the motors are out of sync? I know it happens. There is a simple procedure for resyncing the motors, I just can't remember what it is. Youtube has plenty of videos on that system. There is also a way to force the slide in using the control box, which overrides any faults. Again, youtube. I don't like it either and have owned previous rigs with it, but, it is what it is.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 AM   #3

Resynching apparently involves moving the slide in and out a few inches at least 3 times. I had an issue with my Schwintek doing this and tried to resynch the motors several times without success. Until one time it magically worked. Since then, it has been fine.

I agree, these slides are garbage.

Good luck!

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #4

You didn't buy it in Missoula? Rangitsch Brothers has always done top notch warranty work for us.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #5

if you have a smart phone then you should download the LCI app. It has all the manuals and trouble shooting guides for all the LCI systems made.
Its very handy.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
You didn't buy it in Missoula? Rangitsch Brothers has always done top notch warranty work for us.
I did not. They didn't have what I thought I wanted and couldn't give me the best price. I may live to regret that sooner than later. I assume that if warranty work needs to be done, they would be willing to do it.

Jim.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Site Team

They probably will do any needed warranty work. But like many others you probably wont be there top priority. Where as if you had bought from them you would be.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

OP the slides can be tempermental if you don't follow the sequence right during the first days. I made the mistake with mine of stopping mid way and they went out of sync. Now I do not stop either direction and make sure they are clear so I do not have to.

When you retract or extend them you must be religiuos in holding the button down 3-5 seconds longer after completing the move. This resets the motor stops and keeps them synced. Since doing this my slides have stayed synced. I have had wire issues, but the sync is good. Locate your controllers to see if any codes are flashing as a result of the bind. The lights will flash a certain number of times based on the error to help you determine the issue. Also you can override in or out with the little black button by pressing 6 times and holding on the 7th to achieve the overide. Then you go the control button and move the slide in or out.
I agree that these slides are troubling and long term may not be the best design. Time will tell I guess and I do cross my fingers every time I reach for the buttons. There have been rumblings of a change on the mechs this year, so maybe they are as frustrated as us.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
OP the slides can be tempermental if you don't follow the sequence right during the first days. I made the mistake with mine of stopping mid way and they went out of sync. Now I do not stop either direction and make sure they are clear so I do not have to.

When you retract or extend them you must be religiuos in holding the button down 3-5 seconds longer after completing the move. This resets the motor stops and keeps them synced.
Even following the above will not guarantee they will stay in synch. Mine stayed in synch the first few days of ownership, but when I was trying to come home from my first outing with it, the motors went out of synch. I read all the warnings about the Schwintek system before I got my trailer, so I knew to never stop until 2-3 seconds after the system stopped making noise.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
I did not. They didn't have what I thought I wanted and couldn't give me the best price. I may live to regret that sooner than later. I assume that if warranty work needs to be done, they would be willing to do it.

Jim.
I've gotten to know Russ and Tim there and the fellow that is their head mechanic. I'm sure that they'd do the work as I know they have to let folks off when season grows slow. They'll have my rig as long as they want this winter to make things right. I had to have my slide adjusted once and it was a one day deal. You may need to overnight to avoid a trip back down.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #11

I can verify Cosmic Debris's good opinion of Rangitsch. They have repaired things I didn't know were broke ��. The last time I took the 5th in I forgot to mention that the kitchen counter trim was sort of coming loose (unglued) on the end (by the door). Robin noticed it though and fixed it. They get the work done really quickly too.
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
I can verify Cosmic Debris's good opinion of Rangitsch. They have repaired things I didn't know were broke ��. The last time I took the 5th in I forgot to mention that the kitchen counter trim was sort of coming loose (unglued) on the end (by the door). Robin noticed it though and fixed it. They get the work done really quickly too.
Thanks MzLiz,

I've been loyal to Big Sky in Bozeman because they provided excellent sales and support to me over the past 18 years. Unfortunately it seems as though they are slipping. I don't know why. I'd like to think this is my last purchase of an RV, but I will probably be establishing a relationship with Rangitsch in the near future. I'm liking the North Point, and think it will serve our needs. Good service is important.

Jim
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

I was at Rangitsch today to pick up some ProFlex and asked if they were busy. The parts guy said " its hit or miss". Asked about doing warranty work on a Jayco not purchased there and he said "no problem".
Good luck.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
I was at Rangitsch today to pick up some ProFlex and asked if they were busy. The parts guy said " its hit or miss". Asked about doing warranty work on a Jayco not purchased there and he said "no problem".
Good luck.
Thanks for checking

Jim