Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

slides out when attached to truck

I'm curious- I never had a problem overnighting somewhere in my 2004 Fleetwood Terry 5th Wheel putting the slideout out while attached to my truck. Now that was just one slideout it had. I recently purchased a leftover 2012 Pinnacle and want to know if putting out all 3 slideouts while still attached to my truck will be an issue. this is just for the purpose of pulling into a parking lot and sleeping.
west0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

Extending your slides while connected to your truck is not a technical problem as long as you're close to level.
Parking in a Walmart parking lot overnight with the slides out is considered camping and it is not recommended..
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Don't see where it would be a problem.
Unless the frame was in an awkward position. I have put mine out when stopping at rest area to eat and just rest for a while.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Extending your slides while connected to your truck is not a technical problem as long as you're close to level.
Parking in a Walmart parking lot overnight with the slides out is considered camping and it is not recommended..
Agreed!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Hooked to the truck not a problem as long as you are close to level as the other responders mentioned. I would just add that You should still run the stabilizer jacks down to prevent putting unnecessary strain on the TT frame
Florida Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Not sure what you mean it is not recommended, Walmart welcomes it where city code allows it, it's good for business as they expect you'll buy groceries before you depart.

There is actually a list out there called No Park Walmarts, you can google it and it lists the cities/stores where it is not allowed.

Personally I don't think it would be much fun, but for a night time holdover, it could come in handy if located in a safe city.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

We made the mistake once of running our large Schwintek slide out when we stopped and were not level side to side, I almost did not get the slide back in !!!!
Now I am always level with the leveling system supporting the frame before I move the large slides. The small bedroom slide is not problem when not level.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Not sure what you mean it is not recommended, Walmart welcomes it where city code allows it, it's good for business as they expect you'll buy groceries before you depart.

There is actually a list out there called No Park Walmarts, you can google it and it lists the cities/stores where it is not allowed.

Personally I don't think it would be much fun, but for a night time holdover, it could come in handy if located in a safe city.
I believe the thinking is that when you "park" at a Walmart its supposed to be just a stopover. Like arrive in the evening and gone by daylight, or shortly thereafter. If the slides are extended then what comes next?
Awning out?
Lawn chairs and outdoor carpet out?
Grill out?
Generator running?
Have some friends over?
Why not stay a couple nights?
I think you can see the problem. People will be people and start to take advantage of a good thing then, the next thing you know, Walmart says, "no more camping (or parking) overnight".

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #9

I rarely unhook from our 31.5 RLTS for over night stays. Keeping level is important.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

I traveled from New Brunswick, Canada to Biloxi, Mississippi last April and done the overnight thing at the Walmarts. I left the truck attached and put the stands down for a little stability and also put my slide out(I only have one). I have no choice but put it out when we stop as there is very little room to move around if you don't. Our bathroom is in the rear and impossible to access with the slide all the way in. Just remember to do all your checks before heading out the next morning regardless of what you did or didn't do when you parked.
As for the Walmart issue: if the campground owners were more friendly and made it easier for overnighters to stay, we would not have to use the Walmart parking lot!

"If something sounds too good to be true, walk away 'cause it'll burn ya!" -deerhuntr
"Nothing gives an adrenaline rush like racing"
deerhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

I've put all the slides out while parked overnight with no problem.