Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Sliding Windows

If I had a "gripe" about my Eagle, it would be the small sliding window above the sink that is hard to open, then harder to close. If you have had a sticking slider, what solution do you have to get it working better? Is there a lubricant that can be used that will not attract dirt/dust? Thanks.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #2

My slider at the dinette is hard to open and close. When I get home I'm take the TT in for warranty work, and the window is on the list.

I think the reason for a tight slider is poor installation. If the window isn't installed perfectly straight (frame is twisted), the slider will bind. I definitely wouldn't lube it. That will attract dirt, making it even harder to open in the future.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree with Smoker that it probably is binding due to improper installation. You may try giving it a light shot of silicone spray lubricant for now, but nothing containing grease or oil. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

Thanks guys, the 2 year factory warranty expired last year so I will see how good the extended warranty I purchased in 2008 is. This will be my first warranty issue so I really can't complain too much.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #5

Anyone tried a small amount of graphite lubricant on the window to see if that makes it slide easier? It can be a mess applying, but I would think it would work.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Anyone tried a small amount of graphite lubricant on the window to see if that makes it slide easier? It can be a mess applying, but I would think it would work.
That was my thought... Dry graphite would be less messy than silcone or any spray lube.

But the guys are right there is something wrong with the window if its binding up.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
But the guys are right there is something wrong with the window if its binding up.
I dont know...mine seem to have gotten harder to use over time...I think it is because of the dust, bugs, whatever, that gets in the tracks over time. I try to keep them wiped down, but stuff always gets in there. In addition, I would think the torque and stress on the trailer going down the road could also contribute to it.

We just finished with Cub Scout Pinewood Derby...if you have ever done that then you know --- I have plenty of graphite! I think I will try it and see how it does...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I dont know...mine seem to have gotten harder to use over time...I think it is because of the dust, bugs, whatever, that gets in the tracks over time. I try to keep them wiped down, but stuff always gets in there. In addition, I would think the torque and stress on the trailer going down the road could also contribute to it.

We just finished with Cub Scout Pinewood Derby...if you have ever done that then you know --- I have plenty of graphite! I think I will try it and see how it does...
Yeah we had our Derby last month, and that graphite sure makes a mess! Blue Gold/Arrow of Light Ceremony yesterday.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yeah we had our Derby last month, and that graphite sure makes a mess! Blue Gold/Arrow of Light Ceremony yesterday.
Not to change the subject --- but -- Right there with you!!!! - we had B&G last night too!

I love my Cub Scouts! I was Den leader for a few years and was last man standing so now I am Cubmaster....My son received his Webelos badge last night and we are headed into the home stretch....We did District pinewood derby yesterday too (my son came in 3rd overall in the pack, then 18/40 in the entire District!)...

My son said last night - "Dad, can we find a troop next year that likes to camp"....I LOVE IT!!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Not to change the subject --- but -- Right there with you!!!! - we had B&G last night too!

I love my Cub Scouts! I was Den leader for a few years and was last man standing so now I am Cubmaster....My son received his Webelos badge last night and we are headed into the home stretch....We did District pinewood derby yesterday too (my son came in 3rd overall in the pack, then 18/40 in the entire District!)...

My son said last night - "Dad, can we find a troop next year that likes to camp"....I LOVE IT!!
Yeah sorry to the OP for being off topic, I think he`ll understand on this friendly, lighthearted forum!
Your son would love our troop, we camp every month. I`m ASST SM in the troop, Webelos 2 leader in Pack, DW is Bear leader. We won so may Derbys the last several years that the DW ORDERED us to build slower cars this year because there was grumbling in the ranks (parents). Still one came in second! My 10 yr old crosses over next month and that same night they are going camping with the troop right after the ceremony! How cool is that! That`s a troop tradition. -Lee
Old 02-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #11

Hey guys, don't worry about getting off topic here...I also have been a Webelo leader and have been involved in the Pinewood Derby's, even a participant 50 years ago when my Dad was a Scoutmaster. It was nice to hear about your involvement as well. Scouting is great.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #12

If you feel the RV window has shifted (from natural sag or from road bounce), is now binding / twisted and is now making its sliding system bind, then perhaps the window should simply be removed? Re-seal using fresh soft putty, re-install and this time, re-center the window. Thus, un-binding its sliding track system.

For a cool video on how to re-seal a window, surf:

This would be my 1st attempt to fix this sticky window. Especially if the window was sliding good on its day 1. Thus, proving its probably shifted and is now binding...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #13

Great video - looks much easier than I thought it would be.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #14

I 've used silicone and wriped with cloth. Seems to do the trick.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #15

Ya know, we have the same prob with our little window. I knew it was a PITB, but didn't realize how much so now that I read this thread! LOL
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #16

Our little window over the galley sink likes to bind up when opening/closing. We have found that the slider part tends to get out of alignment in the process, meaning the top or bottom of the slider moves more, causing the slider to twist enough within the frame to bind up. We have learned to slide the window in way the keeps the slider square within the frame, which prevents the binding.

I think the larger windows have enough weight to rest squarely on the bottom track and stay square on their own. The little window lacks the weight to do that, so we force it to stay flat in the bottom track when opening or closing.

Your problem may be different.

2005 Designer 31RLS Fifth Wheel, 2009 Dodge Cummins 1-ton Dually (quad cab, long bed) w/6-speed automatic tranny.
avantidave is offline   Reply With Quote