Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
I see lots of discussion about off the grid or boondocking and the inability to run AC with the smaller gensets. I know I could not and it kept my boondocking to the cooler months. This bother me a lot as the specs of the small units certainly produced enough power to drive the AC unit or at least the <11k Btu models. But it won't start it. But a battery with its high starting amps will and then you switch over to the genset which keeps it running.

I don't think the make or model of your unit makes a lot of difference here. If you are equipped for off the grid, meaning you have battery(s) and converter/inverter and genset I would think you could do as I have done. As I stated my setup is 100% OEM, I have made no mods at all to accomplish this. Yes its a Jayco forum and after owning 3 different makes and models of RV's I have learned a few things, but don't guess they apply here...
To power up the AC using an inverter off a 12V system would require something like a 2000 watt inverter. Just spend the $$ for the generator or generators that you need and do it the right way. A cheap inverter is just like anything else that is cheap, it may well fry some of your 110 electronics. I don't know if they could hurt an AC unit.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #42

When boondocking or spending a hot night is wallymart, I have 2 of these running in parallel and they don't have any issues starting my AC. Just don't run the microwave and the AC at the same time.

Yamaha EF2000iSv2 2000 Watt Inverter Generator

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote