Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
I think one of the keys is in something the OP said. Their typical dry campground has no running water to do the tank flush. So, the tank is merely being dumped, not flushed with clear water afterward. That being the case, it likely needs a good flushing every few trips to ensure it actually ends up clean, not just dumped. I would do what someone said earlier. Half fill the black and grey tanks. Drop in some calgon dry stuff, or even liquid fabric softener. Maybe a little Dawn dish liquid. BEFORE you leave home. Drive to your destination with all that sloshing around in your tanks. Then, first thing you do is dump the tanks at a typical dump station when you arrive at the campground, or a public dump station along the way. That should be sufficient sloshing around with soapy "wet" water to loosen most of the buildup. As mentioned, if you start out with a few gallons of water and de-odorizer in the tank to begin with, it should help. Also, dumping where you can access fresh water to help rinse the tank afterward is a big help as well. Failing that, at least put in as much water into the tank as you can before dumping. You might even consider locating a public disposal site along your route home that has fresh water to rinse, rather than dumping at the dry camp with no rinse water.

2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
Dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #12
One additional suggestion. The AAV is usually only on grey tank fixtures; it is unusual on a toilet. Pretty sure that is actually against code here in Canada.

Your black tank should vent through the roof, and may be suffering from down drafting (or a blockage as another poster mentioned). You could consider capping your vent with one of the 360 Siphon vents:
I don't personally have this, but the principle is simple and proven and the reviews are very positive. The device is basically an airfoil (wing) that creates low pressure directly under the cap and sucks air out of the tank, keeping it always under negative pressure (at least as long as there is any breeze blowing, but you won't generally get a downdraft with no breeze).

2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2012 Chev Traverse LT with TP
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #13
Sounds like you need to do a thorough flushing of that black tank. Most likely, due to dry camping, your tank has a ton of old residue. Either thoroughly flush that tank with the black tank flush valve or get a wand..or both. I usually flush the tank, close the valve and fill with fresh water, then flush again until it runs predominately clear through the elbow. Sometimes I do this 3-4 times until it runs clear. Myself, I'd get the tank wand and do it that way. It seems to be more powerful and thorough.

Good luck!

2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4x4 CCSB W/Air Lift air bags
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote