Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

So many little things (build quality)

I research by nature and before making a decision on Jayco I did my homework. The brand receives high accolades for quality and customer service. Now, I have had to deal with customer service and they are very receptive but the build..... well my camper was made in March, bought at the end of April and made it's first trip the beginning of May, second trip the end of may and most recent trip beginning of July. Each trip has been a repair session for me, here's the list (with resolution)

1. rear bunk molding fell off - Screws not securely tightened.
2. Bottom shelf in bathroom linen closet falling down - The shelf was never secured to the wall 0 - zipo screws.
3. Molding falling off in bedroom - Not repaired yet, have to get small brads to fix.
4. Dining table has large scratch - Dealer replaced
5. Extendable dinette back fell off (thankfully not when in use) - The back was installed without any side support (screws) leaving only 3 staples to secure the back of a dinette seat. I secured the back using 10 screws total. The other side had 1 screw, added numerous others so the issue doesn't occur on the other side.
6. Bedroom slide switch broke - Dealer replaced switch
7. Quick release pin on front jacks fell out - Took it apart, found c-clip fell off, tightened c-clip and replaced.
8. Roof air conditioner screws loose - Tightened screws
9. Gap in wall between read bunks and side of fridge - Will need to add a couple of screws to close the gap haven't repaired yet.
10. Plastic rivet in shower not completely installed - Turns out the hole wasn't drilled completely and the rivet stuck out 1/4".
11. Blind in living room cord broken - Removed blind restrung and tightened appropriately.

That's all I can think of for now. I chose to repair many of these items simply because it seemed a waste to tow it 60 miles to the dealer, but is this typical Jayco quality? I love the design and I HOPE that the big things are well built, but the little things are making me nuts. Don't get me wrong, the items that I have brought to the dealer and Jayco's attention have been handled very well, but to me this is a long list for a quality camper, especially when it's things like screws never installed. Ok I feel better, thanks for listening.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

Your experience seems to be a trend in recent deliveries.

I wonder if Jayco has relaxed it's quality control recently to accomodate an increased production schedule?
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I had post here with similar quality issue but it has been deleted. We had the little problems and now have moved to major issues. We have structural issues with causes the awning not go out and main bathroom door to pop open. Today the rear black water tank while flushing started leaking cause contents of the tanks spill all over the pad where we are staying. Wife is so pissed off with all the issues over past 18 months. Each time use the unit more and more issues. We are on 14 day vacation at present and we have ten new items. Jayco doesn't give a dam about it, so we are starting looking to new trailers.

We looked at new Jayco's and found large number of quality control issues with all model lines and all years.
Here are some issues we found: molding not install properly, angles of molding terrible, huge holes under sink, cabinets falling apart, bounce in floors, noise from floors, poorly place jack controls which not able get LP tanks out, wall paper sticking out around windows, poorly adjusted slides, flooring lifting, broken glass in cabinets

So we are now looking at other brands.
Blackshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:45 AM   #4

Hopefully you have had your major issues repaired while under warranty. I certainly hope that we have just encountered the minor issues and the rest will be good. I spent considerable time on the camper the past couple of days and haven't found anything else which requires attention. While installing a water filter I "cleaned" up some items such as dangling wires etc which while not an issue certainly should have been something not overlooked. I think that I have everything now, but our next trip will tell.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #5

I hope they haven't gone down the same road as Ford did in the 90's where they knew of safety issues but their bean counters calculated it was cheeper to settle the odd law suit than to re-call and repair the vehicles. The decision came back to bite them and will will Jayco too, if it's true.
Curt Discovery Brake Controller

Previous Trailer:
2008 Viking 1906UD Tent Trailer (2009-2011)
bender031177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #6

The punch list on my Jayco, which I no longer have, had some of the same items as the OP. I expected some simply because anything put together on an assembly line with workers doing repetitious tasks, overseen by supervisors who are trying to get the most units out the door as possible, and overseen by bean counters whose sole job is to save them money.... You get the picture..

I fixed all of them myself, simply because I could and it was faster and cheaper not to haul it to the dealer and leave it for two weeks. Most issues are created by hurried workers with staplers and screw guns. Some are just lack of attention to detail, and I suppose the others are generated by plain boredom and carelessness. Jayco prides itself with getting X number of units out the door daily. That number is not without cost. Most manufacturers accept a 3% failure rate. It's cheaper to pay a dealer to fix it than shut down a production line for one problem. The advantage to fixing them myself was that I was able to restore everything to better than factory condition, stronger and better. Often when I'm doing a repair, I can also do a "project" at the same time. I realize that not everyone has the skill base, the tools, the time, or the inclination to do their own repairs, and for them, the only solution is to take it back to the dealer.

I don't think Jayco is alone with this issue and in spite of their history of family ownership, blah, blah, they still have issues with production, as does every other builder. Price usually doesn't mean you get a better built trailer, you just get a little nicer fixtures, trim and decals(sometimes).

I would encourage eveyone who buys a new trailer to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Look for structure items, furniture, drawer supports, and anything else that is assembled with staples. If it's possible to replace 4 staples with one screw, do it. You are ahead of the game. It will eventually come apart and at the worst time. I rebuilt all of the drawer supports in my new Keystone, replacing staples and 1/8" luan supports with screws and 1/2" plywood.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #7

That is a shame that your all having so many problems with your new Jayco's. I purchased my 2001 Designer used and have had no problems to speak of. I replaced the water pump once but the pump company covered it even though it was out of warranty. Perhaps the previous owner went through the problems that your having, but as for me, I couldn't be happier with my Jayco. Good Luck to you all.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Team

.... glad to hear they are getting fixed, Karl. I also like to do the small things myself, dragging a trailer to a dealer to adjust a drawer or add a few screws is not my idea of a fun day! Good luck and hope you worked out the glitches.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #9

We just got our new 30.5 BHLT a week ago. It's just like Nylyon's. We have not camped yet, except in the driveway. I'll be looking very closely as his list above and making sure we don't have the same issues. There are definitely a couple of blinds that will have to be restringed. Also, we are not certain that the water pump is working correctly. The dealer has happily agreed to fix any problems, it's just a pain to tow back down there.
PrellFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
That's all I can think of for now. I chose to repair many of these items simply because it seemed a waste to tow it 60 miles to the dealer, but is this typical Jayco quality? I love the design and I HOPE that the big things are well built, but the little things are making me nuts. Don't get me wrong, the items that I have brought to the dealer and Jayco's attention have been handled very well, but to me this is a long list for a quality camper, especially when it's things like screws never installed. Ok I feel better, thanks for listening.

I have joked in previous threads over the months that I'm pretty sure my tt wasn't one of the "one in five" that goes through QC! LOL!

We had our fair share of minor warranty issues (most caught during the PDI, but a couple major concerns though). I think the one thing someone mentioned here was a reminder that if you aren't satisfied with the dealer or their service dept (or even the "salesman" that lied to you), there are avenues to take to find resolve. I'm still grateful to have been reminded that Jayco will authorize a local qualified/trained person/shop to fix some of those issues. It turns out we had a couple of isolated issues that weren't typical for Jayco products. Frustrating to have to deal with, but fortunately things were resolved so we didn't have to contact BBB though. However, we did contact Jayco in writing. They did respond, and our concerns were satisfactorily addressed.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #11

I'm of the same opinion, just got a 32bhds at the begining of summer and while the products used in the TT are nice, the quality in which they were installed lacks any sort of proffesional instalation!!!!!!
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #12

Sorry to hear that your having problems with your new Jayco. We bought ours almost two years ago. We have had some problems but the dealer has always done there best to fix all issues. I always e-mail the dealer a list to the dealer and print another list to give to the dealer.

We have given our Jayco the acid test as we have put 11,000 miles on our unit.
Good Luck with your repairs and stay on your dealer Call Jayco tech if the repairs don't get done.

Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #13

I don't have any complaints about Jayco's response or my dealers, everything that I have brought to their attention has been handled 100%, I elected to repair the other items without them due to convenience. My dealer is a little over 1 hour away. Take the landing gear snap pins. It would have likely taken 3 hours to get repaired at the dealer, to do it myself was 5 minutes. The point of this was just the overall build quality, not the response of the dealer or Jayco which has been more than fair.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

I too have had issues with trim pieces being loose and falling off and the fabric on the couch was stretched too tight and started to rip; Jayco has fixed these issues through our dealer, other than that no major issues.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #15

I think that at this point the trailer is certainly usable. I'm going to make a list, then bring to the dealer to get the remaining items addressed. As of this point it's a short list which is good.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #16

DITTO!! our 2010 365 BHS has had major AC issues, leaking windows, fridge died, cabinets falling apart, O2 sensor flaking out, entertainment system failed twice now, mattress sags, i am worried about towing it back home 400 miles for fear something else will happen. time will tell. i am anxious to hear how the dealer responds.
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #17

During our last trip, it was the first time we had no issues, so I hope that everything is good!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #18

I'd convinced my folks to buy a Jayco, which they did. After two trips out they were so disappointed they traded up to an Evergreen RV. You want to talk top-quality, take a look at that brand!

For me, there's been issues with my unit, no question. Design seems fine, but the quality of the build is questionable - but you get what you pay for, I suppose.... and to be fair, I think many of the "average" RV's out there are built on the cheap - and I still think comparatively Jayco is somewhat above the rest. Now, that being said, if I could afford it I'd dump my unit quick for an Evergreen!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #19

Very disappointed the end of last week,,, after finding the layout model with features we liked, a 2012 Eagle superlite 314BDS with outdoor kitchen, thermal windows, glacier package, 15K AC, Power tongue jack ,,Air Bed..etc. MSRP over 36K that was just delivered to PA dealer lot from Jayco I believe 2weeks earlier I think I was told..We wanted to see in person. So, we took a 4 hr ride each way to see the trailer we were looking to buy, now have second thoughts. To start, first, I saw bunk room slide trim's interior wood stain was flaking and pealing off not big deal.. Then looking at the floor around the wraparound diner style table,, I saw some slight offset color or stain in the slide-out rug.. I went to examine the feature///extend the seat pull out ..and noticed the wood and finish was very brittle/....my fingers nearly went through it.. It had been damaged from water.. we looked under the seat cushion area....and all the wood area.. was GREEN with mold and more damage. Who would think something in this day and age would lack this much quality control. The salesman took it up with service manager...to point out this major flaw... I do not know what they are going to do... Floor might be rotted out as well? Replace the slide? I too, thought Jayco meant a Quality product... What steps are they taking, if any to prevent these problems. I certainly do not want to have to go through back and forth repairs when I purchase. I think this would have been obvious for a trained professional to see this issue. I will more than likely be going to the Hershey, PA show...and hope to see , and discuss what I observed with a Jayco factory Rep. Also will let them know how we wasted our time. (well at least we got to see the layout,,and the thermal window options,,,and trailer in person). Is there any guide// like a consumer's report for trailers ...long term ownership test...customer satisfaction ratings etc.??
MegaWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #20

Hey Mega - first of all - welcome to the forum. I hate that you started out with such a bad experience. I know Jayco has problems here and there, just like any manufacturer, but that does not sound good. Having mold already in a 2012 is also surprising.

As far as a guide, there are magazines like Trailer Life - but I find these forums are the best to find out real world experience.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you - hopefully a Jayco.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote