Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Social Media Campaign

I'm starting this thread because I believe that he money we pay for our campers should get us the right to use them when we want, not just when they finally get out of the shop.
I see people like me having the same problems as I have. Failed slides, levels jacks, etc.
The only true way a business responds in an ethical way is when there sales are affected. Most businesses anyway. What I see Jayco doing is trying to side step problems with their units by blaming manufacturers of the components being installed in the coaches with the Jayco name on them. That's crazy. You can't blame Shwintec and Lippert when you decide to put in their components in units you sold as reliable.
How would we do this? Social media anarchy! If we got serious and angry in the right direction we could get the action we deserve to have our campers working as advertised when sold to us.
Is there someone with the know how to start a web page or blog, along with people who are outraged enough to do something besides just complain or live with it, that would support just such an endeavor?
Deanwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #2

Personally, I think Jayco needs to do more with monitoring social media sites, as well as Owners Forums, such as this one. Although I'm one of the lucky few who yet-to-have many issues with our new rig. But, with the issues we did have, getting answers from Jayco was like pulling teeth. Can Jayco hire someone to do nothing but monitor customer satisfaction (or not) via social media sites all the time? Yes! But, I'm assuming they won't, due to cost and them not ready to take on the barrage of complaints that would be coming their way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanwilkinson View Post
I'm starting this thread because I believe that he money we pay for our campers should get us the right to use them when we want, not just when they finally get out of the shop.
I see people like me having the same problems as I have. Failed slides, levels jacks, etc.
The only true way a business responds in an ethical way is when there sales are affected. Most businesses anyway. What I see Jayco doing is trying to side step problems with their units by blaming manufacturers of the components being installed in the coaches with the Jayco name on them. That's crazy. You can't blame Shwintec and Lippert when you decide to put in their components in units you sold as reliable.
How would we do this? Social media anarchy! If we got serious and angry in the right direction we could get the action we deserve to have our campers working as advertised when sold to us.
Is there someone with the know how to start a web page or blog, along with people who are outraged enough to do something besides just complain or live with it, that would support just such an endeavor?
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

I agree with the premise that RV Owners should have access to use their unit when they want and that they shouldn't be out of service for extended periods due to repairs and quality issues.

However, what we don't know, as a percentage of sales how many are experiencing these issues? I can say I for one have not. I did have a very minor warranty repair on my first Jayco that went to the dealer for 10 days which we scheduled for a month that we didn't have plans to use it. I was very satisfied.

My current trailer I didn't buy new but the previous owner did show me a service report for the only warranty work he had which was a result of how the FW holding tanks were secured. He didn't have any issues, just requested additional attachment points since he panned to haul full tanks, Jayco obliged and the dealer took care of it with a 48 hour stay in the shop.

So the question is, did my units get lucky or are there way more of me than those with multiple problems that require long periods in the shop?

I would guess my experience is more typical. It doesn't make the frustration others have any less frustrating, but it does indicate that Jayco's system does essentially work most of the time.

On any forum it would be easy to think that everyone is plagued with problems because those are the stories posted. The thousands of warranty claims that are handled as expected are not going to be posted.

Compared with two of my buddies with brand new Forrest River TT, I say Jayco at least tries and generally does a good job. In fact Jayco will authorize non-selling repair only shops if the dealers are backed up.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Team

I have had issues with our TT, the dark front cap GEL coat was removed and the cap was painted the same color as the sides. Jayco, approved in less than a week, work completed in less than a month. Slide out side window was warped and when it rained the inside wall was getting a little wet. Jayco, approved and was repaired within 2 weeks. The front-end stabilizer switch was sticking, Jayco sent me the switch at my request again with in 2 weeks. Finally, 1 of the water drains valves kept dripping, they approved and there was a delay because the local Jayco service center was booked for 3 weeks.

I don't know how many others have had acceptable Jayco service, but compared to my neighbor and his MH, I will take Jayco any day. To me they have been great. Sorry if some members have had issues.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I am sure Jayco is monitoring this site for their PR on knowing what is going on.
It is not only Jayco but it is the whole RV manufacturing industry. Yes, Jayco has to have his own house in order and it seems to me they do a pretty good job compared to other manufactures.
Many have no problems at all with their units but some do and some problems will slip through the cracks at manufacturing plants. That is with most manufacturing processes. If there's pressure on the "demand" then more likely will there more problems slip through.
Customers and dealers are the blame too. Poor PDI's and poor self information etc. Not everyone is handy and can do repairs themselves it all plays factors in the enjoyment of the RVing process. There are many on this forum who do all the repairs themselves and won't bother with going to the dealer (like me).
Jayco still bend over backwards for their customers to do things right. Sometimes RV operator errors they probably warrant because the cause can't be determined.
Overall when you look at this forum people are pretty happy with their product. But it is understandable when there are who have problems it is frustrating.
Well the people on this forum will help with idea's or suggestions. And so far what I have experienced Jayco, Dexter, Atwood, Norgold etc. will look after their customers and know it depends how you present the problem to them.
Yes, you can start a social media process, but present it as a whole to the RV manufacturing industry. Single pointing is not an option.
Where dealing with big corporations who manufacture, not the small local RV manufactures from 40 years ago who had a reasonable quality product but heavy in weight and pricy.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Another item to consider is that Jayco has 2 times more warranty issues to deal with... Why you ask... Because they have a 2 year Warranty program and the other mfr only have a 1 year warranty. We can only smile at the owners of other name brands

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
I
It is not only Jayco but it is the whole RV manufacturing industry. Yes, Jayco has to have his own house in order and it seems to me they do a pretty good job compared to other manufactures.
Many have no problems at all with their units but some do and some problems will slip through the cracks at manufacturing plants. That is with most manufacturing processes. If there's pressure on the "demand" then more likely will there more problems slip through.

"snip"

Jayco still bend over backwards for their customers to do things right. Sometimes RV operator errors they probably warrant because the cause can't be determined.
Overall when you look at this forum people are pretty happy with their product. But it is understandable when there are who have problems it is frustrating.
X-2
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

I still find it amazing that RV owners put up with the delays in getting repairs done. They wouldn't put up with having to do without their cars that long.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Good read..

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tml#post350569

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Comparing car warranties to rv's is like comparing apples and oranges IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
x2

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Exactly, you can take a FORD to any FORD dealer, a CHEV to any CHEV dealer etc. Also many auto parts are interchangeable across a brand.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Lady Fitzgerald; I think this is because it is not a well organized disciplined service industry. As for the automotive industry is. The automotive manufactures lay down the laws for their dealers.
In the RV industry this is different and are still in a growing process. Social media will help in this grow process. But the way it is now we just have to live with it as is and let our voice be heard. Any forum is already a voice where people can tell the "good and the bad".

In Western Europe the RV industry is more organized and operates similar to the automotive industry.

Some dealers in North America care for their customers and some don't. Why should a RV be 6 weeks at the dealer because they are waiting for a simple part? My first 5er in the 90's with 3 slides had to go back to the manufacturer because of slides leaking? 1800 mile roundtrip just because they had no knowledge of how to put things together.
After I was back home the problem still was not resolved. I did some studying up on the situation and got the problem resolved myself. It should not be that way.
At least people now have a place to vent their frustration through the social media and of their voices will be heard............time will tell.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Ain't that the truth.

Autos are made by the hundreds of thousands.

Jayco's are made by the hundreds of a common denominator...

I would like to think though, that if they slowed down their production line by 1 unit a day, maybe that would make up for some of the glaring QA problems that have been documented on this site.

When I was originally shopping to replace my current unit, we toured a Cougar that had so much fit and finish issues that its making me shy away from them, even with a 31k price tag for a 33' big bunkhouse 5th...

I see alot of people here who upgrade alot... if yall would stop upgraded units and keep the ones you got... that would send a pretty solid message. Screw with their income...
Old 03-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Some dealers in North America care for their customers and some don't. Why should a RV be 6 weeks at the dealer because they are waiting for a simple part?
Some dealers use that as an excuse when they are behind.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #16

It's also important to know, that the INTERNET is really 98% full of complainers in sites like these - they come here for help solving problems, or looking for solace in other owners of the same ilk.

That said, basing your opinion that a majority of the Jayco units have major systems issues is in my estimation a falsehood, needing a logic review.

I would venture to bet that a majority of the owners have trouble free use out of their Jayco units, and the loud minority tends to rule the outside public perception of one brand or another. (the other brands all have issues to FYI).

I would say Jayco likely sold what roughly 10,000 units across all lines last year - lets ball park it for the sake of laying it out - and, We've seen in the last 12 months (forum searches are great, but could be incomplete =-/ ) - about 300 users post about issues, of those 100, I can optically grep about 60-70 brand new users posting issues close to their registration date. Of those, only about 20 of them made a hello, and I just bought XYZ post - meaning they came to be part of a community, not just to air issues and sway opinion...

Look at those numbers...

It's not a HUGE issue - in reality, it's well within the tolerances for almost any manufacturer, in my estimation, it would appear that RV build quality and satisfaction exceeds most luxury car brands by an order of magnitude at least. Go visit a Lexus R/, or Nissan GT-R forum for an example of the above.

P.S.
Grumpy - you spend too much time on these forums - get out more...

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_GMC View Post

P.S.
Grumpy - you spend too much time on these forums - get out more...
It's h--l to be retired..
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #18

I can't wait

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #19

I agree with most of what is said here. I do ,however, think that there are a couple of factors not being mentioned.
One- as the above post said, there seems to be relatively few complaints on the message board compared to sales. While that is true, I believe that most people are a little embarrassed that they may have made a poor decision. They may not understand how they can do anything about it. Then there is the info I get from the mechanics who have been working on my motors, as well as a general manger, about how the industry knows there is a problem, knows they need to beef up the systems, and knows they are putting in sub standard equipment. They choose to risk it, just like the auto manufacturers did based upon ROI. I get that, I owned my own businesses for 30 years. But, they are still doing it and won't change unless the public demands it. That demand is expressed in sales.
During this ordeal I couldn't help thinking how if there was anything in my research that suggested I could change this equipment for higher quality equipment, I would have. Maybe an SE model even.
We questioned Mike the chief designer of the Seismic line for Jayco- about the weight and size of the slide outs and its affect on the motors. He assured us that that was "old news" that they had figured that out long ago and we would not have a problem. That was 4 motors ago. If he would have mention that they still had issues and they could offer beefed up motors I would have gladly paid.
Then there is the anecdotal evidence. I was at a convergence not long ago and it was story after story.
Most of the talk here is about how good jayco is "compared" to other manufacturers. I agree. But! When there is an issue that is obvious, like these slides and jacks, then they should offer quick immediate service anywhere in the country. Not making us depend upon our selling dealers when a lot of use these things so far from home. They could easily do that. It would just cost some money.
There is a lot of good thoughts so far. I have to go to bed. Anyone want to do anything or have an idea how to?
Deanwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's h--l to be retired..
I disagree, Retirement is one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Attached Thumbnails
working at living.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, schwintec, seismic 4212, slide out problems