Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #1

Some notes after first run in my new 2013 Eagle FBHS

Took our new 31.5 FBHS on a quick shakedown run from Phoenix to Flagstaff this past weekend for just one night. Thought I would share my comments and problems.

My TV is a 2011 F250 Diesel crew cab. This combination tows like a "Dream" with the fifth wheel setup! I'm so impressed. I don't think I'll ever go back to a bumper hitch trailer again. Going up the hill to Flagstaff (about a 5k ft elevation gain) with a full 81 gallon tank of fresh water and minimal extra weight in the trailer I averaged about 10.2 mpg running between 65 and 75 mph. On the way home I dumped all my fresh water ahead of time and averaged about 12.5mpg. Not too shabby at all. The trailer felt really good overall on the road, no complaints.

Trying to unhook the 5th wheel in the campground did give me some trouble. The spot was a little uphill so i kept raising the front stabilizers and could never get the hitch jaw to release. The 5th wheel hitch I have is a Husky 16k 10 Composite Slider hitch. Eventually I bumped the truck backward a hair and that managed to allow the bar to release so that the jaw opened up and I was finally able to pull away. I guess this is a typical problem if on uneven grade and I can do the same the next time it happens.

One problem I had was with the slides and power. As soon as I started to push the slides out it would run for only about 30 seconds and then stop and all the lights would go out for about 15-30 seconds and then they would come back on and I could try again. It was almost like it was tripping a breaker and then the breaker was automatically resetting. This was a pain since the family was in the trailer and it was already dark out and every time it happened they kept yelling at me asking why I turned off the lights. I have 2 interstate 12V deep cycle batteries which were showing a full charge. Has anyone seen a similar problem? Is this something I can get fixed or expected?

Another problem I had was with the rear stabilizers. I tried to put them down at night when we arrived and got nothing - kept hitting the rocker button up and down and didn't get any movement. I tried again in the morning and had the same thing. Later when at a rest stop on the road with the truck turned off I tried the rear stabilizers again and then they worked just fine. So I can't figure out what changed there or why it would work sometimes and not others.

Another observation. There is a nice big storage area on the front left (driver side) of the trailer just to the right of the propane tank storage area as you look facing the tanks. Its mostly blocked though from the propane tanks. I've already picked up a square access hatch and will be cutting a hole in the side of the trailer over the weekend so I can access that area better as it looks like a perfect location for store the sewer hose and related accessories.

Time to look into buying a TV and mount for the kid's bunk area and then we are off to the Payson area the week after next.

Cheers,

Chip
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #2

The rear stabilize issue that you have sounds familiar!! Turned out that the rocker switch was faulty on our unit..
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #3

Check the connections on the battery. It sounds like a battery problem or automatic breaker that is weak to me but I am no electrical expert.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote