Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

Spare tire crank

My spare tire crank won't raise or lower, I tried pulling on the gable but it won't move, any ideas?
mochastudebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Might try spraying that whole pulley assembly with rust buster and let sit for a day and spray again.

I remember seeing some posts on the 4Runner forum.
I'll see if I can find something.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here's what I found quickly.
Someone also mentioned the rim can be stuck to the mount. Try kicking it.

"Try and get as much WD-40 on the carrier as you can. Let it soak in and spray again. Have someone under the spare pushing/pulling it as you try to turn. Once I broke mine free, the steel rope frayed, and this may have been stopping it from lowering. Still using it and spraying it often just to keep it free. While you have the WD-40, shoot up the tail gate key lock as this gets really dirty and also freezes up."

"I had the same issue. My TPMS triggered a low air warning and it was in the spare. The oil change place told me that the tire valve cap was frozen on the TPMS sensor and they did not want to try and remove it. They suggested that I go to Discount Tire to try and get a new TPMS sensor for the tire (not that i wanted to for over 100 bucks!) So I did my tire lowering mechanism was frozen solid just like yours. So they crawled under the runner and sprayed their version of liquid wrench on the cable mechanism that holds the tire up. My recollection is that they also sprayed some in the hole of the bumper where you insert the tool. It took several squirts over 20 minutes before they could get it loose. Finally, it came free and they didn't charge me a thing."

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #4

Same thing happened to me and call road assistance. Driver put a bar about 8 foot long and 2 inch in diameter with a bend in it to it would go under vehicle and over about half of the tire. Then he jumped on it and tire came down. He said it happens a lot when the mechanism gets rusted up if spare has never been take off.

Johnie and Brenda
Central Illinois
2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7
2012 Jayco 242
jmactootall is offline   Reply With Quote