Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Spring maintenance

New Guy here !

Couple questions.. I've always paid someone to put my rig away in the Fall and get her ready in the Spring for the most part but I've recently got more time on my hands so I'm taking care of business myself from now on..

1. I've got a 2006 JayFlight 27.5 BHS. What should my tire pressure be ?

2. Do my bearings need to be taken apart and re-packed or should I just be slowly pumping in new grease each Spring until the old grease gets pushed out ?

3. Should I be sterilizing my fresh water tank before use or can I simply run a couple tanks through it to clean it out ?

4. Do I need to lube my hitch with anything or can I simply hook up and go ?

Thanks for any help/suggestions ! Dying to get out soon !!!!

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #2

Hello Hippie,
I can help a little. You need to check the tire pressure on the tires. It should say on them. Not sure about the bearings, but I'm anxious to hear what others have to say because I've never done mine. I always run some bleach through my water system every year to clean out any bacteria that might be hanging out in the tank and/or lines. It doesn't take much. And I keep my hitch greased well, it makes hooking up and unhooking much easier. I use some kind of grease in a can and put in on by hand. It's messy but worth the effort.
I hope this helps, Enjoy the season.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

Hi HippieCamper and WELCOME to the Jayco Forum!

1. I've got a 2006 JayFlight 27.5 BHS. What should my tire pressure be ?
ANSWER = Your tires should have a pressure rating on them. I usually load mine to about 2 pounds below that rating. Specially when the tires are cold.
2. Do my bearings need to be taken apart and re-packed or should I just be slowly pumping in new grease each Spring until the old grease gets pushed out ?
ANSWER = You do not have pack them or regrease them every year, but it does not hurt. Consider it "Preventative Maintenance. I do mine once a year unless I feel my bearings and hubs are running warm. Feel them when you stop for fuel or at a rest area. They should be cool to warm. You should be able to keep your hand on the hub or center of the wheel.
3. Should I be sterilizing my fresh water tank before use or can I simply run a couple tanks through it to clean it out ?
ANSWER = I usuall use bleach to flush out all the winterizing fluid. I put 1 cup per every 5 gallons of water and pour it in the fresh water tank. Using the water pump, flush the entire system. Then I fill my tank again with plain water and flush again. That usually clears the lines.
4. Do I need to lube my hitch with anything or can I simply hook up and go ?
ANSWER = That all depends on weather you lubed/greased it in the past. If you have, then continue. If not, I would not until you hear noises that do not sound familiar. Do you have a Weight Distribution System? If yes, That is what I would focus on cleaning and lubricating.

I hope this helps you and I hope you enjoy your camping adventures!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the input !! I got a couple weeks to get things taken care of. Can't wait to get out. Everyone enjoy the season !

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #5

Hi Hippie Camper and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote