Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Squeaky Floor

The kitchen area of my 2011 Pinnacle has squeaky floors. The area affected is about 4' x 4'. I'm guessing the top layer of the floor is not nailed/screwed down properly; does any one know what the floor support joists spacing or placement is underneath the floor boards? I tried putting a few nails into the floor, but they felt like they did not hit anything below the3/8" or 1/2" floor boards. So, they had no effect on the squeaking.
Any ideas on how to remedy this annoying problem? Larry
ldfiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

We have a 16 Eagle 321RSTS and it seems that there's a soft spot in the floor just north of the island...and it creaks. Wife doesn't notice it but then again she's a light weight. My guess is the only way to know for sure is to open the underbelly and see if the floor is secured to the frame in that area or if there is a seam in the plywood that isn't supported.
I'll be curious to see other comments..
Just watching it for now.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

We have a squeaky floor in our bathroom. We are in for other warranty work soon and will ask service dept. for their analysis of this. I will report back when I have an answer.
ddiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

My 2016 Northpoint has a squeaking kitchen floor. Already had a claim filed with Jayco for repair but was denied. Was told squeaks are not covered under warranty. So when it comes out of the shop, I will fix it one way or another myself. Will have to cut the under belly to get to it. I heard that the heat vents under the floor may have something to do with it. So will see.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

Squeaky Floors

This is a follow-up on my original posting about "squeaky floors"; I found a "fix" for this annoying problem!
I contacted Jayco and got drawing for my RV showing the location of the floor joists. Then, at my local Ace Hardware, I found a kit for fixing squeaky floors; it contains 2 plastic fixtures, a special drill driver, and about 40 special screws. This kit can be used on carpeted, vinyl covered floors or hardwood floors. The screws have a scored place near the head, so that as you screw them into the floor (using one of the plastic fixtures), the top inch or so of the screw breaks off, just below the surface of the floor. The treaded portion of the screw firmly holds the plywood floor to the joist, eliminating the slight movement that causes the squeaking, and leaves the top of the screw hidden just below the surface. Under carpet, the screw hole is not visible; on my vinyl floor there is a small hole, but the vinyl (that was pushed aside as the screw went in) does flow back and mostly fills the hole. I have to get down on my hands and knees to see the spots.

It was a quick and easy job (after locating the floor joists) and the kit costs abour $25. I'm pleased to get rid of the noise and my wife calls it a "miracle"!
I hope this helps someone else eleminate their "squeaky floor" problem.
ldfiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:39 AM   #6

Thanks for the update! Sounds like an easy solution.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Ours is at factory screws pushing up thru vinyl , two hollow spots they have to replace vinyl unit approaching a year been at factory now over 6 months
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #8

I had a squeaky floor in the kitchen area also. My dealer called Jayco and they fixed it under warranty. They added more bracing under the floor. Did the job.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Grandpa View Post
We have a 16 Eagle 321RSTS and it seems that there's a soft spot in the floor just north of the island...and it creaks.
Interesting. Our 2017 Eagle 330RSTS (same floor plan) TT has the same squeaky floor in the same area and extends slightly towards the entry door/hallway.

Watching as well.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:42 AM   #10

Our 2012 Pinnacle is the same way just between the kitchen island and bar that separates living n kitchen area. I'm hoping it's not a seam issue. It's also not an all the time issue, but most if the time! And not a squeek, more of a creek!
360Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 pinnacle 36 rets