Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

Squirrel!!

We took our 2016 North Point out for its maiden voyage this past week. Went to a state park not far from town figuring it would be a good way to determine what issues might need to be dealt with prior to a longer trip. Things went fairly well until our second day at the park. Somehow a squirrel managed to get into the area between the ceiling and the roof. He ran around of there for a couple of hours before somehow getting out and ended up in either the bathroom or bedroom. We were in the living room when he came charging through. We were able to chase him out the door. The next day he, or another one was back. Never saw this one, but heard it in the ceiling again. For the life of me I can't figure out how he got up there. I checked up on the roof, but found no obvious points of entry. We were in the woods but not parked under any trees with branches nearby. My guess is somehow he entered from the ground. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas. I checked and did not see anything out of place. I'm pretty sure this is no something normal.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 05-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #2

If he got into the underbelly he could have climbed the vent pipe to the ceiling.

Really watch if you go there again, a friend had over $3,500 in wiring and plumbing damage due to a squirrel chewing on everything.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #3

This all I can figure.
You must have an open spot underneath the trailer, or the critter simply came into the storage compartment if you left the door open. Take a good look underneath.

If he came into the storage compartment first then he could climb over the grey wall between the aluminum floor joist of your bedroom and get to the other side. If he came in through an opening in the bottom of the trailer he has an easy path to the other side of the grey storage wall. Unscrew the wall you will see how easy it is to come in there once in the under belly of the rig. There is basically very little floor behind there.

One he is in the area behind the wall there is a wiring chase that goes right up into the ceiling. It would be easy to climb up the chase, it is full of wires for him to hang on to.
I have no idea how he came out in your bathroom.

Don't be taking this lightly, I have heard of squirrels damaging trailer wiring to the point of thousands of dollars and some unrepairable.
Take down the wall and see if they are chewing anything back there. There is a ton of wires and water pipes in that area.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Is this the same unit that you were having slide issues with last summer?

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Is this the same unit that you were having slide issues with last summer?
Yep, still having them, but I have an appointment later this month with the dealer to take care of it. Guess I'll add rogue squirrels to the list.

Jim