Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

Step recall failure

Had the step recall repair done at the Dealer a few weeks ago. The DW step out of the 5th wheel today and the step gave way shearing off a rivet.
It was in our shop so when she fell she was able to catch her self on the shop wall and avoided any injury.
Attached Thumbnails
steps 1.JPG   steps 2.JPG  
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Apparently they didn't do the recall since the bad rivets are replaced with bolts.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #3

There are some rivets that have been replaced with bolts but not all.
I don't what rivets were involved in the recall.
I will post some more pictures of what they did tomorrow.Mabee someone that has had the recall done can tell if mine was done completely or they missed something.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Sorry to hear that you had a failure. Just glad your wife was not seriously hurt.

My suggestion. Find someone else you can trust to do the work. In my case, that is me.
Only way to make sure something is done right now a days, sorry to say. Yeah, warranty work. I understand but what good is a warranty if the work is not done properly.

But, it could have been really bad or even tragic so just count yourself lucky and chalk it up to a learning experience.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #5

The factory service center did mine and there were only 2 bolts IIRC, can't physically check until Wednesday.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

After a couple of broken rivets, I've replaced almost every rivet in my steps with 3/8" bolts as a preventative measure. Haven't heard about the recall, though.

However, I've been fulltiming for the last few years, and I suspect that the steps on my TT weren't really designed with that kind of use in mind.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Haven't heard about the recall, though.
It was for the 4 step on the FWs.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
Site Team

I haven't had any problems on mine but may go ahead and drill the rivets out and put some bolts with self locking nuts in.

Especially if I see any sign of wear.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

Update
Jayco has offered to replace our steps.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #10

Anyone have this recall information? I have done a Google search and a NHTSA search and come up with nothing.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

To SmokerBill,
On the entry level unit RVs I worked on, all the steps had bolts, and it was expected they would see a lot of use. As you said, all these units seem to have been designed and built with an expected usage in mind. Rental units are special orders. There can also be an issue to how people go in and out, plus the weight of the people involved...and the trend is increasing in weight. Renters often just beat the cxxx out of the units.

Full time units are usually heavy, starting somewhere around 16,000 lbs as I understand it. Invariably the mfgs cut corners to control their price points on the entry level units.

This is a good example of an easy diy fix. Why take a unit in for warranty work and lose more potential usage time?

This is also a good time to learn about lubing the steps. On the kwikee steps there are more lube points than is obvious, but that is all covered in the kwikee manual, including troubleshooting for the electric steps and type of lube.

What amazed me was that I believe historically there has always been a push for hands on experience because most of the technicians that I worked with were not very oriented to book learning. Yet a lot of the items we use are pretty complex these days from A/Cs to even the Kwikee steps. I found that despite my lack of years of hands on experience, that the training I received more than made up for it as I could diagnose problems better than most of the more experienced guys I worked with.

Since we are talking steps, I had one of the top techs spend several hours messing around with a step. He was pretty irritated as he had changed out all the mechanical and electrical components and could not get the step working. It was a simple ground connection that would have been identified quickly if he had followed the Kwikee step troubleshooting procedures. But, like most of the techs they had their list of likely fixes and then just did plug and play until it worked.

Because I had taken A/C training I could diagnose an A/C unit, whereas all of the technicians I worked with at the rental placed just swapped out the units. We had a large special rental premium unit that needed to go out the next day, with one A/C not working. They had no swap out available. I was able to diagnose the unit and we had the needed replacement part in stock. All total was done in 30 minutes. The experienced techs were fizzed at me over it.

We had a lot of heaters that quit working because when they went through the car wash, water got inside of the Atwood. One of the older and experienced techs simply replaced the electronic module. He got fizzed at me for showing him that all he had to do was wipe off and dry the bottom of the module and it would work again.

Way to much attitude going on.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Anyone have this recall information? I have done a Google search and a NHTSA search and come up with nothing.
Right in the recall thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...all-30845.html
Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #13

Our step failed and it was fixed with bolts under recall/warranty. As an added safety measure, we place the orange plastic leveling pads under the bottom step. It stops the movement when using the step. Just makes it more stable.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #14

Wish I had known about the recall. Mine failed so replaced the steps my self $180 later
hotpepperkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepperkid View Post
Wish I had known about the recall. Mine failed so replaced the steps my self $180 later
I got a letter in the mail. Did your dealer register your unit with JAYCO?
Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
Site Team

What year/ model is your rig?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
What year/ model is your rig?
If that question is for me it is a 2015.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If that question is for me it is a 2015.
Sorry, it was for hotpepperkid.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #19

My 2012 Pinnacle steps failed in 2014 so I took them off, replaced the broken rivet and drilled and replaced the rest with grade 8 bolts washers and lock nuts. Also while I had steps out, I repaired all the bad welds as well and repainted. Also, I now have adjustable step stabilizers.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #20

My original step hasn't failed, but I am tired of it being so dark when I'm trying to use it at night. I have a motion sensor light I stick outside, but I forget to do that. And I also have to use a portable bottom step most of the time which is a pain so.....

I was lucky to receive a free GlowStep Revolution | scissor steps connect RV to ground level for towables, fifth wheels and side entry campers | Torklift International from Torklift. They picked me and several others from another forum to receive a free one which the understanding it be installed promptly and a review written on the other forum. I originally thought it was a sham, but turned out to be the real deal. I sent them some measurements they ask for and I received the new 4 step GSR in late December. Then my roof issue popped up. My rubber roof membrane was failing and I had to handle that which I wanted to do prior to the step install. This is covered in another thread.

I contacted Torklift about my roof issue and offered to return the step since there was going to be a delay in the install. They were super and said not to worry about it and keep them informed of my progress. My roof was taken care of 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for my dealer service manager to give me a date when he can install it. He will come to me at my current host site for the install. The reason for him to do the install is the entry door has to be removed to get to the front mount bolt for the existing steps. One of them is rusted and the nut is stuck. Since the bolt is turning, the door has to come off to get to the top of the bolt with a wrench.

I know this step assembly is expensive, but it has the glow strips on each step and my night lighting issue is solved plus I'm getting a 4th step thus eliminating the portable bottom step. And it is aluminum and not rusted "black".

It is sitting in the back of my truck right now and should be installed in the next couple of weeks. I will post pictures of the before/after.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote