Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

Straight from JAYCO - No Gooseneck

OK Folks, so I got this response today DIRECTLY from JAYCO.

Me: “I'm wondering if I install a Reese Gooseneck pin box, model # 94622 to be used with my B&W Turnover ball, will Jayco still honor the Frame Warranty?:

Jayco: “Dave, it would void the A frame part of the frame and whatever that hitch touches.”

Me: “But How then can Reese Claim this then”:
"World’s first OE approved gooseneck adapter, Endorsed by Lippert Components, Inc. for their frame systems"

Jayco: “Dave, the reason that this would void your warranty is because it is considered a modification, there isn’t any adapter that would be covered under your warranty.”

Ok, so now here is my question for anyone that may have tried Both. If I still want to go with a Gooseneck, are there any Major differences in towing between the Reese Gooseneck Pin box 94622
or going with the Andersen Ultimate Gooseneck. Pros’ vs Con’s one over the other, besides cost.

Whatever I pick will be used with my B&W Turnover Ball.

Thanks,
Dave…

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

I think B & W makes a fifth wheel hitch (Companion) that attaches to the turn over ball. I would think that this would be a good solution.
Companion 5th Fifth Wheel Hitch | B & W Trailer Hitches
Old 11-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

The Anderson is at the same height as the traditional 5th wheel hitch. The down side to the Anderson is that you must attach the ball mount to the king pin for allowing it to connect. This might too be considered a mod since it is almost impossible to get that adapter off once on.

One other note is the that king pin is now being towed 2-3inches more forward and not on center of the pin. Also there is no plate under the king pin to disperse weight as it is all on the ball mounting point.

Many people tow with this and a friend included. Time will tell if there are other forces at work I guess.

Engineers calculate these forces under certain conditions and once you change those conditions things could break.

Just my observations.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

Don't have it yet but when I do I will be using the Ranch Hitch Adapter by Anderson. This way I can use either truck with the ball mounts and can also hook to my other goose neck trailers.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

The andersen ultimate 5th wheel connection will work with your turnover ball. Anderson has a $5 million warranty rider for any damage denied by the manufacturer.

Plus it weighs 40lbs. Or you can use a 200lb companion hitch.

I've got an andersen. It installs in a couple minutes. Easy to move around.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
OK Folks, so I got this response today DIRECTLY from JAYCO.

Me: “I'm wondering if I install a Reese Gooseneck pin box, model # 94622 to be used with my B&W Turnover ball, will Jayco still honor the Frame Warranty?:

Jayco: “Dave, it would void the A frame part of the frame and whatever that hitch touches.”

Me: “But How then can Reese Claim this then”:
"World’s first OE approved gooseneck adapter, Endorsed by Lippert Components, Inc. for their frame systems"

Jayco: “Dave, the reason that this would void your warranty is because it is considered a modification, there isn’t any adapter that would be covered under your warranty.”

Ok, so now here is my question for anyone that may have tried Both. If I still want to go with a Gooseneck, are there any Major differences in towing between the Reese Gooseneck Pin box 94622
or going with the Andersen Ultimate Gooseneck. Pros’ vs Con’s one over the other, besides cost.

Whatever I pick will be used with my B&W Turnover Ball.

Thanks,
Dave…
I can see why they would say no. The larger vertical distance would cause a larger torque on the mounts from accelerating and braking. I would expect that it overloads the cross members that the pin box plates attach to. I don't think that Lippert has any downside to making the claim that it is OE approved since the trailer manufacturer holds the warranty.

Does Lippert design the frames for the manufacturer specified sizes and loadings?

Or does Lippert build the frame as the manufacturer designed and specified it?

I think to really get approved, they now need to work through Jayco, Thor and Forrest River with Lipperts support.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

Yeah, I pushed-back again and asked Why, if Lippert says its OK with their frames. I got the same reply "The reason that this would void your warranty is because Jayco considers it a modification"

But I was also told "It would just void the warranty on whatever it touches" So I'm guessing that might be a 'sticky' point if trying to make a warranty claim. They may say since it 'touches' the frame, then the Entire Frame is not under warranty?

I don't know now. Just trying to figure out if its really worth the risk or not. Everything I read about 'standard' 5th-wheel hitch to Gooseneck User / Converts say, they would Never go back because its so much nicer / easier to tow with.

Dave...

Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Why even question?

If the 5th wheel manufacturer says 'no' to a gooseneck just go with the normal 5th wheel hitch and don't fret about making the wrong decision later.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

Had a friend traveling thru El Paso last year. Lady skidded to a halt in front of him, he locked up his brakes, and bent the goose neck post forward. Limped into Yuma, and started looking for a box hitch. Said he thought the 5er was coming into his truck.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
The andersen ultimate 5th wheel connection will work with your turnover ball. Anderson has a $5 million warranty rider for any damage denied by the manufacturer.

Plus it weighs 40lbs. Or you can use a 200lb companion hitch.

I've got an andersen. It installs in a couple minutes. Easy to move around.

I love my Andersen. I wouldn't want to pull with anything else.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #11

I don't see the attraction of a gooseneck. I guess not having the hitch is a plus, but you have chains to mess with and hooking up is virtually like a TT. The few goosenecks I have pulled didn't ride and tow as well as TT and 5th wheels.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
Had a friend traveling thru El Paso last year. Lady skidded to a halt in front of him, he locked up his brakes, and bent the goose neck post forward. Limped into Yuma, and started looking for a box hitch. Said he thought the 5er was coming into his truck.
OK, what kind of Gooseneck was he using? I guess as long as it 'only' bends and doesn't break, then that's ok. I know everyone has different opinion's, but for me since this will be my 1st 5'ver, I'm just trying to buy something Once and what will work the best for us. I just want a smooth, comfortable towing experience while traveling.

Dave...

Old 11-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
. I just want a smooth, comfortable towing experience while traveling.

Dave...
If a "gooseneck" worked best there would be a lot more on the road.

Just my 2 cents!
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If a "gooseneck" worked best there would be a lot more on the road.

Just my 2 cents!
Agree Grumpy.

I don't even remember the last time I saw someone using a gooseneck to pull a 5ver. I do see some pickup trucks pulling horse trailers once in awhile though.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Agree Grumpy.

I don't even remember the last time I saw someone using a gooseneck to pull a 5ver. I do see some pickup trucks pulling horse trailers once in awhile though.
I'm waiting for gooseneck to go the way of the dodo. It has too many compromises that the 5th wheel overcomes easily.

More money? Sure. But safer, more dependable during normal service.

And holds up MUCH better when things get overloaded.

I'm still bumper-pulling with a WDH, but when the upgrade happens, I'm jumping to 5th wheel.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #16

Dave, not sure of the type or brand name. He got it in Missouri, and it went to a junk pile in Yuma.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I'm waiting for gooseneck to go the way of the dodo. It has too many compromises that the 5th wheel overcomes easily.

More money? Sure. But safer, more dependable during normal service.

And holds up MUCH better when things get overloaded.

I'm still bumper-pulling with a WDH, but when the upgrade happens, I'm jumping to 5th wheel.
Goosenecks have there place. The one thing you have to remember that trailers made with a gooseneck connection have a lot of reinforcement built into the neck. The RV conversion does not and it creates a large leave arm, that is weak.

Now the Anderson hitch, basically is a gooseneck setup, but they raised the attachment point to eliminate the leaver arm, so the same stresses are on the frame.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I love my Andersen. I wouldn't want to pull with anything else.
That's 2 of us. I have had about every type / brand and couldn't be happier with the Andersen.
ETEX211,didnt you have a Reese Goosebox for sale a while back or was that another Sulphur Springs RV'er?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
That's 2 of us. I have had about every type / brand and couldn't be happier with the Andersen.
ETEX211,didnt you have a Reese Goosebox for sale a while back or was that another Sulphur Springs RV'er?
Ok, what about the 'chucking' while towing. Do you not get that still with the Anderson, since there is nothing to absorbs the shocks.

Dave...

Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #20

If you have the Mor Ryde pin box any connection is going to benefit from that. You still are engaging the pin, it's just how you connect to the truck is what the difference is.

I look at it this way. 4 points of support and connection vs 1 is always better IMHO. There is a lot of inertia behind you to stop.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote