Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Telescoping Ladders

I'm new to fifth wheels. I have a 2001 Designer Legacy 3110 RTLS. Does anyone carry a telescoping ladder with them for checking for debris on slides before retracting or awning problems or general maintenance. I say telescoping for the narrow base and compactness for storage. They are pricey because they have RV in front of it. A regular won't cut it on the road. Too wide a base for storage. Don't really want to climb the rear ladder every time. Is this a unnecessary item and expense. Any experienced 5ver's have a top ten must have's for their rig. Thanks.
gbilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #2

I have one that I bought at SAMS long before they became popular, thus much less money, and it has come in handy many times. I think it works great and I am very pleased with it.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #3

What brand is it? Thanks!
gbilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Team

I know you were asking about telescoping ladders and back when I was researching for a ladder, I considered one. While they are more compact, I noticed you caught on quickly to the fact that they cost much more than other types of ladders. One of the other factors that steered me away from one was that it also had less weight capacity than other ladders. Although this was not an issue for me, it could be a safety concern for someone who's more robust.

I ended up buying a folding ladder. I won't argue with anyone that it takes more storage space and if that is your "show stopper", then go with the telescoping ladder. But if you can find the room, I suggest a folding ladder over the telescoping as it's more versatile, less expensive, and usually has a higher weight capacity.

I like the fact that, besides a 10' straight ladder, I can make the ladder into step ladder, a scaffold (when you place a board across the rungs) or use it on un-level surfaces like stairs. When using it as a step ladder for tasks like washing your rig, you'll move the ladder less often because there are rungs on both sides of the ladder, plus the fact that since it's never touching the RV, you eliminate the risk of scratches or damage from the ladder.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

I have been using a telescoping ladder I bought off of ebay for the last two years with no problems at all. They are still available on ebay for less than $100.00.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I'm carrying a 7' fiberglass step ladder on a bike carrier hooked on the rear ladder.

Another suggestion comes from a buddy that carries a smallish leaf blower. He fashioned an extension with a curve on the end so he can stand on the ground and blow the debris off.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

I bought one online and it was fairly expensive, around $100 I think, but it's been very handy for a variety of uses, both RV and stick house, and compacts small enough to fit under the bed. I have never regretted the purchase.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote