Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

Thanks and Hello

First I want to say thanks to all the contributors here. I've been lurking for quite a while, trying to learn as much as possible before taking the first step.

Second, I took the first step today, by ordering a 29.5 BHDS, so Hello!

I'm sure I will have a ton of questions, but so far a brief search has answered the vast majority of the pre-order questions that I had.

My dealer was able to modify an existing unit order, so we are looking at a September delivery.

This will be our first camper which will be quite a switch from what we are used to.

So thanks again for all the help and thanks in advance for all the future help.

- bsd
bigskydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

FYI the specs look like this

29.5 BHDS. Java interior

Customer Value Package w/ 15k BTU Air Con
Auto-leveling system
50 Amp service w/ 2nd A/C prep
Solid surface counters
Reese Revolution pinbox
16" Tires
Wireless backup rear-view camera
Dual pane windows

I will be towing with my 2011 F-350 and a B&W OEM Companion hitch.

Will let you know of any good or bad things I experience with this setup

- bsd
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydoc View Post
FYI the specs look like this

29.5 BHDS. Java interior

Customer Value Package w/ 15k BTU Air Con
Auto-leveling system
50 Amp service w/ 2nd A/C prep
Solid surface counters
Reese Revolution pinbox
16" Tires
Wireless backup rear-view camera
Dual pane windows

I will be towing with my 2011 F-350 and a B&W OEM Companion hitch.

Will let you know of any good or bad things I experience with this setup

- bsd
First, welcome to the family, Big.
I too have the B&W hitch but have a MoreRyde pin box.
A note, I think B&W says not to use a swiveling pin box but I suspect that's mostly CYA.
We also tow with a 350 and it is a nice pairing with our 351RLTS, that truck is an OX and it loves to pull. Our 5th comes in at about 12700# and its a pretty nice tow. We see 12's and 13's when towing with our 6.7.
Is your TV a short bed? Ours is and I discovered that I needed a slider (new back window). Still have the B&W but am now very cautious when turning.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Appreciate the input and the confirmation that I need something to prevent camper/ rear window contact in my 6 3/4" box F 350.

B&W needs to call the OEM series something other than "Companion" because it leads to a lot of confusion. The OEM series combines a Companion coupler with a OEM puck style base that has four attachment points.

I confirmed with them that while the use of a sidewinder style hitch is verböten with their famous single attachment point Companion hitch that mounts to their Turnoverball underbed rail system, it "works just fine" with the OEM puck style Companion hitches and the rail mounted Patriot series hitches.

They discuss the issue here on their website. Keep Wedges Out of Your Companion Fifth-Wheel Hitch

I considered several solutions to the short-bed issue. Replacing the truck with an eight foot bed version was a possibility, but my truck is fairly new and I am not ready to replace it for another two years or so.

I considered a manual slider, but the numerous stories of folks mistakenly thinking it would be ok "just this time," ruled out that option for me. The auto sliders are nifty, but look to be a bear to get out of the truck. I was also concerned about clearance between the rear and bottom of the pinbox and the sides and tailgate of my truck bed when in the extended position. I am already wary of that even without the slider due to the height of my truck in relation to the height of the camper designed for a 1/2 ton truck.

I seriously considered the Andersen hitch, and may ultimately give it a shot. I am a bit worried about how the system will tow without the 5th-wheel plate stabilizing it. My friend has a camper with a goose-neck adapter and it behaves strangely at times.

So, I ultimately decided to go with a standard hitch and a sidewinder style pinbox. I am impressed with the Companion coupler so I went with that hitch. I was tempted to get a rail adapter for my OEM underbed rails as this would give me several more options for hitches, but I ultimately decided to keep it simple.

-bsd
Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 AM   #5

Welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Apologies for posting this in the wrong forum. I'll try to make up for it with pictures next month