Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Thanks but no thanks

I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the great info. I had ordered a 2018 325BHQS (ordered 3/4/17) and was all set to pick it up today. when we went there the salesman told us the floor in the bathroom had a small tear and they would replace it, but they repaired it so we could use it until the floor came in, not too happy but it is what it is. When I walked into the bathroom the floor creaked and mover about 1/2" up and down, then I noticed the hole between the floor and the wall next to the shower. As I looked over the rest of the camper I noticed scratches all under the cap, the caulk was smeared and had spot missing along the cap seal. I told the dealership no way was I buying it. The obviously weren't happy, but we ended up making a deal on a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 311bhs. Should be picking it up in the next 6 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7373.jpg  
Cummins-a-pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #2

Sounds like the delivery guy hit something.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #3

Too many folks let their good judgement get clouded by the desire to take possession of their camper and ignore major warning signs of trouble. You did the right thing by not taking possession of that camper.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

Good decision & good luck with the 2018 Grand Design Reflection 311bh. We have been blessed, so far, with a relatively problem free Jayco Melbourne 24L. We have also been grateful for the excellent family owned dealer we have here in Las Vegas.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

It was definitely the right desision, my wife is just mad cause the jayco was exactly what we wanted. Kinda feel like we're settling with the Grand Design, the build quality of the one we walked through was superior to the Jayco, but the options are just not there. I'd rather have quality over the fancy options though.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #6

We had a similar issue with our 2017 325bhqs near the shower. The factory had incorrectly installed the trim around the bedroom slide. On the left side near the shower it dragged on the floor. On the right side there was about 1/2" clearance. A staple or brad or something under the trim grabbed the vinyl and tore it when the slide was being opened. I got it replaced under warranty but it took some effort. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sean.harp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Besides the jayco 29.5bhok, the Reflection 311 bh is another we are interested in. I'll be interested in your evaluation when you receive it. Good luck on this one.
Is this the same dealer?

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #8

Well done!
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 AM   #9

Same dealer, we were able to walk through a tt version and the fit and finish was far superior. They were very helpfull, offered to order another Jayco for us, but after we decided to go another brand. Like I said the Jayco has all the bells and whistles, but I just couldn't order another Jayco after seeing that almost all the trim was crooked or not stapled all the way, even the trim on the front cap(cap to wall and cap to roof) was wavey. The wall board that's cut around the steps was cut short and you could see 1/4" of the stud and there were nail pops all over the dark wall board behind the hutch. Just poor workmanship, I really think they need to slow down production and build quality not quantity.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #10

The production speed is most definitely killing them. I too prefer fit, finish and quality over bling. I think y'all made a good choice.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #11

Thanks but no thanks

Thanks for all the positive comments, I made this thread not to bash Jayco, but to vent. I'm glad no one went the other way on me. It was a tough choice, it took almost 2 years to figure out what we wanted and we thought we got it. Now we're kinda licking our wounds with the kick in the guts feeling lol. BTW I will be calling Jayco on Monday, even though I'm not buying their product, I just feel I need to chew someone for this and the dealer was not at fault so I couldn't chew theirs, I just wouldn't have felt right about it.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #12

I assume and I hate to do that but if your dealer was W.H. how were they to deal with I may be going to see them soon Thanks
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #13

I also refused delivery of my first Jayco. The dealership ordered the wrong options through some careless clerical error, and when the trailer showed up after 3 months of build time, they didn't bother to check what had arrived before calling me to come get it.

I walked in, said this isn't what I ordered, the sales guy's face went stoic, and the scramble to try to get me to accept the trailer began. It was quite pathetic really, since I knew more about the trailer than the sales guy did I would give him reasons why the "fix" wouldn't work - ripping out a bunk bed to build their own cabinets in house? Ridiculous.

Good for you for sticking your grounds and not caving in to their pressure. That trailer had obvious issues that would have become worse with time.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #14

I am concerned. I have one of the largest Jayco dealers just a few miles away. I figured I'd buy from them and I liked their proximity. But it seems like after they sold to Thor they are having a lot more quality control issues. The dealer for the other fifth wheel we like is almost 2 hours away.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #15

Yes I did buy from white horse, but the one in Galloway not Williamstown. Salesman was great management just wants the camper gone. Good luck and if you see a 325bhqs on the lot look for light coming through the floor as they told me that Jayco won't take it back and the dealership is stuck with the unit. Kinda crapy on the mfg to stick it to the dealerships like that. Pretty much they can build junk and the dealership is stuck with it.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
I am concerned. I have one of the largest Jayco dealers just a few miles away. I figured I'd buy from them and I liked their proximity. But it seems like after they sold to Thor they are having a lot more quality control issues. The dealer for the other fifth wheel we like is almost 2 hours away.

Nothing is better or worse since Jayco was acquired. The quality is deteriorating based on volume being pushed out. Also, you hear 100x the negative stories on the forums compared to the positive. Even though quality issues are increasing, the overwhelming majority are shipped and delivered without issue.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Nothing is better or worse since Jayco was acquired. The quality is deteriorating based on volume being pushed out. Also, you hear 100x the negative stories on the forums compared to the positive. Even though quality issues are increasing, the overwhelming majority are shipped and delivered without issue.
This is 100% true, I would have ordered another Jayco if it wasn't as bad as it was. I lost faith in their quality, but I could almost guarantee the next one would have been acceptable. I just didn't want to risk it after seeing this one, plus the wait time to get one is crazy long.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #18

Thanks but no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins-a-pullin View Post
This is 100% true, I would have ordered another Jayco if it wasn't as bad as it was. I lost faith in their quality, but I could almost guarantee the next one would have been acceptable. I just didn't want to risk it after seeing this one, plus the wait time to get one is crazy long.

Sad that you can spend $50 k on your dream RV, and have to settle on "acceptable." But you can't me convince things have't change. I am aware you hear rants on the Internet, but the numbers have increased since the changeover. On other forums I am even hearing dealers are joking about the change in quality. I imagine this dealer isn't too happy about eating this giant sized lemon.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #19

This reminds me of when Fleetwood bought Holiday Rambler, Holiday Rambler was one of the best units on the road and within 2 years of fleetwood owning them they became junk, seems like Thor is buying companies and stream lining them, just like Fleetwood has done with many other great manufacturers.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Sad that you can spend $50 k on your dream RV, and have to settle on "acceptable." But you can't me convince things have't change. I am aware you hear rants on the Internet, but the numbers have increased since the changeover. On other forums I am even hearing dealers are joking about the change in quality. I imagine this dealer isn't too happy about eating this giant sized lemon.

"Acceptable" wasn't going to cut it, that's why I went another rout. Ultimately we were looking at the GD along with the Eagle, I liked that the Eagle had a metal outdoor kitchen counter and frameless windows and that is what swayed me to go with the Eagle. On the plus side the GD is 2' shorter and has a 1/2 bath for the kids in the bunk house, and looking at the pictures online(calling the mfg to confirm, but not a deal breaker) it looks like it has a 6-point level system vs the 4-point Jayco had, so I'm good with the switch.