Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Thermal Pane Windows

We would like some input regarding thermal windows. Does the seal last? It would be a costly item to replace once it is out of warranty. It is an expensive option but the majority of people that have them, according to their posts, feel that it is worth it but they never include information about the longevity of the seal or whether they do have that kind of issue.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #2

We have the Dual Pane windows on our Pinnacle, and yes we love them.

I do not know how long they will last but production methods have gotten better over the years.

I have read cases of the Dual Panes fogging up but not have not seen widespread problems.

There are several company's across the US that specialize in repairing them if they do fog up.

Yes they were expensive, but the and pluses out weight the potential minuses.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #3

I completely agree with Rob. I don't remember the cost adder or added weight, but both are worth it. Sound is greatly reduced from outside, heating and a/c costs are reduced and if you full time in cold weather there is virtually zero inside fogging or moisture condensation on the windows. This is my second winter with temps last year as low as 13 and no condensation either year.
I definitely would buy these windows again.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

Salesguy quoted us $1250 for the thermopane window option on a 2012 351RLTS we were considering. IMHO definately worth the price. However he said they can only be put on fixed and slider windows, not crank out windows. Something about the hinge and mechanism not being able to handle the added weight. Jayco changes crank out windows with small sliders. Only downside to that would be not being able to crank out the windows in the rain for ventilation.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

I broke one in my 5Ver in Wyoming. I had a difficult time getting a replacement. I had one shipped out by the manufacturer after the local glass people were unable to get a window. The window caught up with me in AZ. Fortunately only the outside pane of glass broke. They are dual pane not really thermal glass. I suspect if you are in a large town getting a replacement would not be a problem.

The window that broke in mine was a fairly large window and the escape window near the rear of the 5Ver. in 2004 that window cost was approx $450 to replace. Since it was a strange shape it was replaced complete with frame.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
...Jayco changes crank out windows with small sliders. Only downside to that would be not being able to crank out the windows in the rain for ventilation.
Even that can be worked around. Someone (can't remember who since I haven't had my coffee yet; wait, I don't drink that nasty stuff) makes a louver add-on that allows windows to remain open in most rainstorms. Visibility would be compromised somewhat. Another oprion would be to put window awnings over the windows. Besides blocking all but blowing rain (nothing will block that except a closed window and sometimes not even then), they will shade the window from the sun for much of the day.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Someone makes a louver add-on that allows windows to remain open in most rainstorms. Visibility would be compromised somewhat.
Something like this?
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ndowmaxx/13047

BTW, the small thermopane window that was changed to a slider slid horizontally, not vertically, so it slid to the side, not up.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Something like this?
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ndowmaxx/13047

BTW, the small thermopane window that was changed to a slider slid horizontally, not vertically, so it slid to the side, not up.
Seems to me the ones I saw were a different brand but the illustration is spot on.

I've never seen RV sliders that slid up.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #9

The sliders in our Montana slid up and down. They didn't slide any easier than the side to side ones in our Jayco.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #10

We had 3 sliders in the Denali we owned before our Jayco. The kitchen went side to side and the slide out end windows went up and down. We did not see an advantage to either type.

Dwight
6 weeks until the first trip
The Way Life Should Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #11

We went from crank out windows to sliders and worried about the raining in problem. We found that it really wasn't much of an issue. If it's raining in on one side, close the window and open one on the other side. Also, a bit of silicone spray in the track helps keep the sliders moving freely.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

Chiming in a little late on this topic but am considering adding the window upgrade to our 365BHS that's about to be built. On the 365 the only crank out window is by the kitchen sink. Am I understanding correct that Jayco replaces this with a dual pane slider? The 365 also has a oval/rectangular non sliding window above the super slid. Would this also be replaced with dual pane? Guess what I'm asking is will every window in the unit be upgraded to dual pane glass? I'm considering the upgrade mostly for the noise reduction and condensation as I can't believe there's much of an energy savings when your still going to have 1/8" thick plastic domes in both bathrooms and a the huge plastic skylight above the shower.
Thanks,
Jr
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #13

Yes, every window will be Dual Pane including the upper rectangular "Skylight" type window.
The kitchen window will change to a slider type Dual Pane.

Again you are right, minimal energy savings, but less noise and no condensation.
We have had many RV's (TTs & 5ers) over the years, our current Jayco is the first with Dual Panes, we still think they are a good investment
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
... your still going to have 1/8" thick plastic domes in both bathrooms and a the huge plastic skylight above the shower.
Thanks,
Jr
Easy fix for the plastic dome vents. Link:

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

DW made 3 for our roof vents from some scrap material she had and some foam padding.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Easy fix for the plastic dome vents. Link:

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

DW made 3 for our roof vents from some scrap material she had and some foam padding.
It won't fit the shower skylight.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I used a Camco Reflective Door Cover to cover the shower skylight. I added snap caps to the 4 corners and midway along long edge, removed the screws in the corresponding spots in the skylight and replaced them with the screw in snap males.

It just snaps on and off and really keeps the heat out.

Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I know, I was thinking the roof vents.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I used a Camco Reflective Door Cover to cover the shower skylight. I added snap caps to the 4 corners and midway along long edge, removed the screws in the corresponding spots in the skylight and replaced them with the screw in snap males.

It just snaps on and off and really keeps the heat out.

Good idea, any concern about how much heat it reflects back up to the skylight?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #19

Thanks for the input. I think since I can add them at the time of build for $875.00 more I'll go ahead and have dual panes installed.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Good idea, any concern about how much heat it reflects back up to the skylight?
I did this mod 9 years ago. It stays in place except when we shower or camping in cold weather. No I'll effects that I can tell. It gets pretty hot here in Texas and is sunny most days.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote