Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Thinking of an upgrade -- 375BHFS

So I got a quote from RV Direct on a 375 BHFS smartly equipped. I have a couple of questions however.

What is Solar Prep? I suspect that it's simply extra wiring run but to where? While I don't anticipate needing a generator, what's in the generator prep package, and is this something that would be easily added on later (if so desired)?
It mentions LED lighting on the awning. Is this on the awning rail or on the side of the camper?

Anyone else with this unit? How are you liking it so far? I like my BHLT, but you all know full well that the urge hits every so often, and this is the time or me now
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Following...I too would consider upgrading to this model from my 28BHBE now that I've upgraded our TV.
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 AM   #3

We have a 2014 375 BHFS, and WE LOVE IT. We traded our 2013 365 BHS for it because the floor plan not only fits our current family needs (me, wife and 2 children) but the way the back bunkhouse is designed, it's a very "user friendly" space for kids and adults alike. Our 365 had the rear bunks, which was great, but to us this space didn't feel like it provided what we would look for to invite our adult friends to go camping with us. The 375 completely fixed this in our opinion.
I'm not sure what you mean by "solar prep" as I don't see this listed as an option, but the "Generator prep" is just that. They prep the unit from the factory with all the necessary wiring from dry camping when a generator will be used. We leave ours seasonally parked and didn't order this option, however, Jayco will still include a generator mounting plate in the cargo bay directly under the nose.
The LED lighting on the awning is a strip of LED lights that they attach to the side of the camper. I've already had to replace ours once, under warranty, and although I really like them, I'm afraid they are going to be an item that's going to be replaced every couple of years.
Overall, we used ours right at 90 nights last year and love everything about it.
We have ordered 2 new units from RVDirect, but ended up ordering our 375 from RVConnection because they offered us a better trade on our 365 than RVDirect did, which ironically was ordered from RVDirect. Had great luck with both companies.
Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

Thank you. The Solar Prep is actually listed as a standard item. I'm on the fence about the generator at this point. While in the past we haven't really had a need to use it, it would extend our campground choices!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #5

Now I see the Solar prep listed on the Jayco website, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe they now include connections for solar panels?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #6

We just received our 375BHFS in December. We've used it twice, the last time for a week at Ft Wilderness at Walt Disney World over Christmas. It's unbelievable for it's bunk bed room size and amenities. I ordered ours from Des Moines RV, one of the RV One stores, and couldn't be happier with the experience thus far. The solar connection was not listed on ours and I suspect it is a model year change. Ours had several little changes to what was on the website and what we had looked at. I did order the gen prep as I specifically wanted the 120V wiring up front. There is a significant amount of wiring for the hour meter, remote start and automatic change over switch that I think would be hard to add on later. The package also lines the front cabinet with the required sheet metal. The left side of the compartment is separated and the fuel tank is installed along with all of the hosing and charcoal filter to make the gen set EPA compliant for EVAP control. Honestly, it is the one option I wish I didn't order. Unless you plan to actually install a permanently mounted gen set, I think your better off with the larger space of the cabinet. I've decided to forgo the cost of a permanent gen set and have purchased a EU3000is generator that I plan to haul in the bed of the truck.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

It does look like there a number of mid-year changes, the solar prep being one. I had been leaning towards the Generator Prep for the same reason you did, but I think that I agree with you about the simplicity of a portable unit. It's more versatile, lighter and doesn't have the added weight when not in use. In the past, there was maybe 2 times when a generator would have been handy, and the portable unit is probably better for me.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #8

I did the same and Jr. above and went from the 365 to the 375 and never looked back. Love the oposing slides in the LR with the recliners for extra seating while stuck inside on a cold or excessivly rainy day. It's a heavy unit and your TV will want bags especially if you do the generator. Prep includes the gas tank and wiring for an Onan 5k rv unit to be installed in the front compartment. I have a portable from my previuos units and decided to not go with it. The few times I need it, the Yamaha suits my needs and have a new 1K pure sine wave invertor going in this spring for off hours use. Solar prep seems nice for sure.

You will need to pick your spots a little more stragtegically with the added length and width now having two sides of slides. SParks can be a challenge in some locations. The tunring and backing up of these units and a full length CC pick up gets tight in a hurry. Also your back end can make some serious swings into objects if you are not carefull when making turns. Basically you driving a semi. I am 60ft from bumper to bumper. The unit is great overall though and we love it.

Suggestions in options would be the larger fridge, second AC, heat strip and Micro/convection. I don't know what else they added to the list. I stayed away from the leveling system at the time due to it still being the problematic Attwood system.

LED lighting is just a strip under the awning itself that can be used with or without the awning being extended. They put it on the same switch as the amber step lights which I split and posted a mod how to on the mods page.

Good luck with your shopping.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Thank you for the input. Absolutely on the bags. I have replaced the rear springs with slightly heavier ones, however I think that the bags would be necessary for the heavier pin weight.

I didn't know about the awning and step light being on the same switch. I like your idea of splitting them out. From what I understand the 6-point levelers are part of the mandatory luxury package. I would have likely gone for that anyway just for the ease of setting up.

Which interior did you go with? I'm at a toss up between the Almond and Brownstone. From the pictures the Almond is a little too bright with the standard dinette, but we're planning on the free-standing dinette. I like the color of the Brownstone furniture better.

Definitely going with the heat strip, 12cu.ft fridge, fireplace, keyless, rear receiver and second A/C as well as the hid-a-bed in the bunk room and thermal windows.

If I recall, you had some issues with the cooling of the bunk house in your old unit, how is the A/C performance in this one in the Bunk House? My current BHLT with 2 13.5K's will store meat in any room!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

We picked ours up in November from RV Direct. We really love it. Only been able to use a couple of times so far. Had a vacation planned to FL over Christmas but had to cancel due to family emergency.

We left off some of the options to cut the price down a bit. I couldn't see paying so much for the larger fridge. Our last camper only had a 6 cubic feet fridge so with this one being 2 cubic feet larger, plus the fridge in the outside kitchen, I couldn't pay $2000 for 4 cubic feet more. We also left off the fireplace since we spend most of our time at an annual site and pay electric. I decided to put the $1000 from the fireplace towards the slide out awnings. Second A/C was a must.

A couple of minor annoyances to mention. The LED's on the front cap are on the same switch as the awning LED's. Kind of rude for the poor guy parked across from us. I hate it when other guys have the bright light fixtures out in front of their campers when we are trying to sit around the campfire in the dark.

The second thing is the lack of light switches on the wall for the overhead lights in the main living area. It is impossible to see them on the main control panel at night with so many switches. Too easy to operate the awning or slides by accident until you get one of the lights on.

We can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can start using it more!
charlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #11

nylon,

The 375 rear bunk cools much better than the 365 did, however, even with 2 AC's they will run all day when it's 90* or above. We leave ours seasonally parked and have no shade, but with both units running I can keep the whole camper 70*
We went with the Brownstone interior, fireplace, remote keyless, slide toppers, 2nd AC with heat strip. Didn't order the larger fridge because I have a 12x16 shed behind my camper where I keep a full size residential fridge for all our food (and beer.) In fact, I think I've only had the fridge inside the camper turned on maybe twice. Didn't order the levelers because I knew I wouldn't be pulling it, and didn't order the convection oven, but kind of wish I would have.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #12

The unit cools fine for us with both going and with just the one main unit. The MB closet can get hot if you don't open the sliding doors and run the BR AC. There are 2 filters now on the returns. If you go with the fridge and fireplace you will loose some cabinet space FYI. I did not go with the FP just for that reason as I cook a lot, so I carry pots and pans. Without the space under the TV I would be limted to just the few spots provided. If you are early spring camper and late fall you might really want it.

Again if the levelers were not the Attwood I might have done with them. Orginally it was a 4 leg system, so that 6 might be really nice. Still need to be close though.

The new low profile AC's sound like a fighter jet taking off outside. When both are going you know it.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 02-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #13

All great information, thank you. Hopefully I'll be able to swing this!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #14

I didn't mention that we got the camper after the mid year updates which has different light fixtures, and more importantly, a new color scheme with the light colored front cap. The brown was pretty, but I saw too many issues on the forums with fading after only a year or two. The light color should help with the heat issue in the front closet also.
charlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 AM   #15

charlank,

I was worried about my brown front cap as well, but so far, so good. I do keep a close eye on, and a heavy coat of wax so hopefully it sill stay looking new for many years to come.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #16

We purchased this unit last spring and have been very pleased with it. On colder mornings/days we have been known to run the fireplace to take the chill off of things instead of running the furnace. We went from a travel trailer of 28' to this one and one problem I have found is booking reservations earlier to ensure we can get a large enough site. We went bow hunting last fall; and the bunk house became the mud room that held all of the hunting clothes and such.
Tina G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #17

Having the bunk room linolium and the second bath entry does save on the dirt. The bunk room in the 365 was wall to wall carpet and I had to steam clean that thing several times a year. Now we just have an area rug that gets shaken out and clean up is much easier.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 04-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #18

Question for the 375 owners. I am looking at the 345BHTS but would really like to try and swing the 375 but I am a little scared of the length and weight. I have a 2014 Ford F-350 king ranch CCSB diesels, my door sticker is right @3500 cargo capacity. So would I be pushing it with my truck or would I be fine. Thanks

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 CCSB
2016 Jayco North Point 375BHFS
EricRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #19

Eric,
Your truck is made for hauling trailers like ours. The 3500 is the cargo weight, and the tow capacity should be 11,000 pounds. We have actually meet a fellow while camping that had the same truck and pulls this trailer without no problem.
Tina G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRom View Post
Question for the 375 owners. I am looking at the 345BHTS but would really like to try and swing the 375 but I am a little scared of the length and weight. I have a 2014 Ford F-350 king ranch CCSB diesels, my door sticker is right @3500 cargo capacity. So would I be pushing it with my truck or would I be fine. Thanks
I'm pulling ours with a 2013 Chevy 3500 duramax CCSB SW and have no problem with payload, GCWR, control or power. We had 20+ mph side winds today.
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote