Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Thinking of Eagle Premier 365BHS - some questions

We are thinking of moving up from a Jay Feather 213EXP to a 5th Wheel Eagle Premier 365BHS. We looked at a new 2013 model today and really fell in love with it as we have a family with 3 young children and the rear bunkhouse really meets our needs.

Any big issues we should know about on the 365BHS? I hear that the ventilation in the bunkhouse is not great. What other issues?

Has anyone put a Honda 3000 generator in the front garage on this unit and had any issues or had to do any additional exhaust ventilation if you just keep the door open during operation?

What about the 5th wheel hitch? I have a 2011 F250 Diesel 4x4 Crew cab with the short 6.5" bed. Is a sliding hitch required or will I be fine with a standard hitch? Any specific recommendations on the hitch brand?

Price? The dealer is quoting $46k for this 2013 model - does those sound reasonable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chip
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Chip, try checking here for some member generated suggestions that have worked to help purchase a new rv at 30% of msrp
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #3

Thinking of Eagle Premier 365BHS - some questions

I have a 2011 365BHS... pulled by a 2012 F250 diesel SRW short bed.

LOVE the camper!!!

Suggestions:
- Get the 2nd AC option
- Here in Illinois, the bunkhouse cooling issue was solved by cutting a room vent above the door to allow heat to rise and escape.
- Make sure you get the MorRyde pin box and the SRE4000 suspension
- I added Firestone Ride Rite airbags to the truck... Keeps everything perfectly level when towing. I put 65psi in the bags when I'm towing.
- You definitely want a slider hitch. I have the Pullrite auto slide hitch. LOVE IT!!!!

These are the only "must have" things... Everything else falls into the category of personal wants/needs/tastes.

Jeff

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlinthi View Post
What about the 5th wheel hitch? I have a 2011 F250 Diesel 4x4 Crew cab with the short 6.5" bed. Is a sliding hitch required or will I be fine with a standard hitch? Any specific recommendations on the hitch brand?
There isn't a 'one size fits all' answer to that.

Some 5th wheel trailers have a front cap where the front corners are contoured to miss the truck cab rear corners when using a standard hitch.
Some 5th wheel trailers have an extended 5th wheel pin box intended to avoid problems with the standard 6 1/2' bed trucks.

A standard fixed hitch may work. Or a slider hitch may be needed. Manual slider hitches have to be slid backwards before tight maneuvering. An automatic slider like a Superglide will do it automatically.

When I was a RV parts department guy, I recall that for the early Superduty Fords, there were at least 3 different bracket kits for mounting Husky/Valley 5th wheel hitch bed rails. One of the bracket kits would position the bed rails about an inch and a half more towards the rear of the truck bed than the other kits. It was an advantage in a short (standard) bed truck.

I suppose the only sure way of knowing is to set up the truck with bed rails and a dealer shop hitch. Hook up to the trailer and slowly back into a tight curve while someone watches for clearance between the truck and camper. If the two are going to make contact, get a slider hitch. If the clearance is good, then a standard hitch will do the job.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

Thanks Jeff, good advice.
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #6

Before you buy, you might want to check out the new 2014 bunk house model (375BHFS) that is replacing the 365BHS.

http://www.thompsonfamilyrv.com/2014...el-ia-i807102#

It has FIVE slideouts, and an outdoor kitchen! If you love the 365BHS, you will REALLY LOVE the 375BHFS.

Get a price from RVDIRECT.COM. It's about 30% off list, and see if they will match it. Or, just get it from RVDIRECT.

Depending on the options, you should be able to get the new model for around $50,000.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #7

IMHO you do not need a slider hitch. After 2 years with this trailer I have found one campsite that I wish I had one, and in retrospect I was too big for the site anyways, and should of selected another site. I camp 50-60 nights a year.
B & W Companion

Central MO
MOCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #8

Had a 2011 365BHS, loved it, but was destroyed by a tornado. Ordered a 2012 365BHS and love it even better. Improved airflow to the rear bunkhouse, but you will definitely want the 2nd air option. Airflow is still not spectacular, but there is a diverter mod someone in here posted that's suppose to really help. When it's near triple digits, we just leave the door open and put a small fan blowing towards the rear.
I pulled both with my 2003 Silverado 3/4 ton Duramax shortbed, regular ole Reese 15k 5th wheel hitch and never had any problems with it hitting. The trailer pulls like a champ.
Cant speak to the generator question as I've never used one.
Bought both of mine online through the website mentioned and would buy from them again tomorrow if I was ordering another unit. Service is top notch, and we found no place that would come within 2000.00 of the price we paid them.
Best of luck on your purchase. For a family with kids, the bunkhouse is pretty tough to beat.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote