Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
The Raptor they should us was very nice and well optioned. Had Garmin GPS and rear camera. Why doesn't Jayco have that option? I've read poor reviews about the cameras Jayco uses...
My Jayco has a Garmin, and a nice rear view camera, I mean NICE. both were factory options, the camera is good resolution (5mp) and a nice wide view of the entire rear and a lane on each side up to the bumper.

We have a 15 38FLSA, and this was an offered option.

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #42

Not to sound crazy, but why does a 5ver need a GPS in it ,am I missing something. The tow vehicle should have it. Back up camera sounds like a nice option. But I agree I would never back up my trailer without getting out to look at my surrounding first. I am sorry to say I'm not a huge fan of Keystone. Think Jayco may be my only bunkhouse option. Sounds like some extensive research has been done by others and Jayco rules. We will see at some of the RV shows coming up.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #43

GPS? what am I missing

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 12-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #44

We had a NuWa Hitchiker II LS 29.5 purchased used from the original owner, traded it for a WhiteHawk 27 DSRL after 5 years. Why? Primarily because we weren't using the trailer as we envisioned, and it was a lot to maintain and lot of money to maintain. I can buy a full set of tires for the WhiteHawk for the price of one tire on the fifth wheel. The HitchHiker was more complex with three slides (2 of them hydraulic), the WhiteHawk has one electric slide. Absolutely loved the layout of the HitchHiker, very liveable, but so is the WhiteHawk, though the bedroom leaves a bit to be desired. Towing the WhiteHawk is considerably less nerve wracking than towing the HitchHiker, mainly because the WhiteHawk weighs half as much. And despite all the noise about a fifth wheel is much easier to maneuver, I find backing and navigating the WhiteHawk a breeze.
Just my experience. A matter of personal preference, but no knock on fifth wheels, we certainly enjoyed our trips in the HitchHiker.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #45

Yea I really do love the Trailer we have now. It will be tough to beat it. Only complaint I have about our is lack of outside storage. That's where a 5ver would be better. The outside kitchen on this camper was storage on our old camper. Under the bed storage was better also. It was not part of my outside front compartment.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #46

1st trailer was a bumper pulled 24' Work N Play toy hauler pulled by a F150 Eco Boost & a F-250 Power Stroke (Diesel)

2nd trailer was a 5th Wheel 36' Keystone Raptor toy hauler pulled with F-250 Power Stroke (Diesel) added the Firestone airbags. Had to also drill holes for the 5th wheel hitch as it didn't have factory 5th wheel. Due to pin weight on the Keystone (safety concerns) I moved up to a Mega Cab 3500 short bed dually, auto level and with factory 5th wheel and gooseneck.

3rd trailer is a 5th Wheel 42' Jayco Pinnacle pulled by my Mega Cab 3500 short bed.

Getting to the point....

I would pull a 5th wheel over a bumper in a heart beat. For me personally it's way more enjoyable, comfortable and feels much safer. We did learn a valuable lesson on trucks. Buy the right truck for the job! Having my dually with auto level and factory 5th wheel and gooseneck has made pulling a trailer much more enjoyable and couldn't imagine making any changes in that area. With the current truck we also have the cargo cam as well. It's makes connecting to the kingpin much easier. I can look at the screen and not have to do a 180 in my seat looking back to connect.
Another option I would highly recommend is a high grade camera and monitor for the rear of any trailer. (5th wheel or bumper) Changing lanes on the HWY, Knowing what is crawling up my backside and knowing what is behind me while backing even though I typically use a spotter. Is Priceless!

My hope is we can share our lessons learned with others to prevent some of the mistakes we have made along our journey. Looking forward to spring so we can get back out on the road!
RV-IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Had a dealer this weekend tell us Jaycos are nice entry level campers...

Those are the words of a bad salesman that sells another brand. I generally try to avoid salesmen that bash the other guys's product.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #48

Oh yeah, I agree. We were at a camping world in SC while on vacation. He was a nice guy. My wife wanted to checkout the new 2016 raptor fifth wheel toy hauler and he let us nose around as long as we wanted. He hung with us for prolly 30 minutes showing it to us. I didn't expect him to say jaycos were great. Same as when you go to a truck dealer...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Oh yeah, I agree. We were at a camping world in SC while on vacation. He was a nice guy. My wife wanted to checkout the new 2016 raptor fifth wheel toy hauler and he let us nose around as long as we wanted. He hung with us for prolly 30 minutes showing it to us. I didn't expect him to say jaycos were great. Same as when you go to a truck dealer...
I agree bashing is never a good thing. Giving you the pluses over another brand is ok with me.

When I bought my first TT (greenhorn) as we were doing the PDI the tech says to me "yeah these seem to be better then their other lines and have a few less issues" I won't mention the brand, but it was not my current one...straight from the tech in the competing dealer who has to fix them. I felt great after that statement

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #50

Quote:
I wonder about other brands too. My wife wants a bigger camper. We've looked at 5th wheel bunkhouses and toy haulers. Had a dealer this weekend tell us Jaycos are nice entry level campers... Without doing more research I could only say they at least they have two year warranties... The Raptor they should us was very nice and well optioned. Had Garmin GPS and rear camera. Why doesn't Jayco have that option? I've read poor reviews about the cameras Jayco uses... I know there is more too it than little options but this thread and dealer comments have me asking more questions...
I would rather buy my own RV accessories. That way I get what I want with all the features I am looking for. And usually, I can get more for a lot less!
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #51

They are all built about the same. No considerable build quality differences between any of them unless you get into super high end custom built units.

I would never go back to a bumper pull but that's just me. We have a toy hauler and the separate 12 ft garage with dual queen bunks is in effect a big bunkhouse camper so kids have their own room but it can also haul our atvs or rzr. Best of both worlds (one downside is a smaller living room space). Another is you need a stout enough truck to haul it as they weigh considerably more than a regular fifth wheel