Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

This is getting old...

I have had my brand new 323lkts back to the dealer (90 miles from my home in the country) 3 times already for warranty work in the 60 days I've owned it. The first 2 were minor, but the last one was the bedroom slide, which would not detract for a drive home. That one cost me an emergency roadside charge ($150 that I will be reimbursed for maybe by sometime in 2016), and each trip back for warranty repairs I've had to pay the cost of fuel to the dealer and time away from work (about $45 in fuel alone, not to mention the 3 hours away from work and family to get it to them during business hours). I just pulled it home yesterday from the bedroom slide repair, and was getting ready for a work trip tomorrow evening. As I was loading, I flipped the switch for the living room lights, and nothing. Nada. Zilch. No fuses are blown, and they worked fine before the bedroom slide fiasco. Obviously not a major malfunction, but one that will still require a trip back to the dealer.

Don't get me wrong, my dealer is the best, always gets the work done quickly and apologizes for the inconvenience. But come on!!! This is really getting old.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

Do you plug it in to shore power at home?
If so, do the lights work then?
Since the dealer had to do work on the slide, they may hooked something up improperly when they reconnected the electrical system.
Just a suggestion to save yourself a trip. Pull the fuse panel and look at the converter. There may be fuzes in it on the side which are not accessible or visible with the main fuze/breaker panel mounted on the wall.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

It is connected to shore power now. I needed the a/c to work inside the rv today. Lights don't work. I'm not going to do anything until I speak with the dealer Monday. I may be better off fixing it here and paying out of pocket than hauling it back to them.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Understandable. If the AC works then I would assume the electrical outlets and all other 120V AC stuff works as well. So it sounds like something shorted while they were working on the slide.

The reason for my suggestion, was helping my neighbor work on his, during dewinterization, he re installed his battery wrong. He was going to take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Same symptoms as what you are describing. His 120 stuff worked while plugged into shore power, but nothing on the 12VDC converted side (lights, water pump, etc.). When he did try to turn on lights while connected to shore power the carbon monoxide/propane detector would beep indicating insufficient power.
I told him it sounds like a bad converter. He let me in to check it out. I pulled the fuse/circuit breaker panel (which is also part of the converter on his rig). and there on the back of it were two 30 AMP blade fuses. We replaced them and all is well.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about the troubles your having.. did the dealer not show you where the manual slide crank was? He should have it is a simple matter to use a ratchet to bring in a stuck slideout. Also did Jayco stop giving roadside assistance with RV's? Mine came with it..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

I believe that I would be talking to the dealer about sending someone to your place. If it turns out that the electrical issue that you are now experiencing are not related to the past work that was done. Agree to pay for the mechanics travel time. Your out of pocket expenses would be no higher and your time would not used up. Are all lights affected or are lights in the bath and bedroom working??
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #7

I have 3 slides on my unit. The two big opposing slides can be retracted by a manual crank using a ratchet. However, the bedroom slide does not have a manual crank. When it has failed, you must remove the trim around the slide out and unbolt the motor that is not working. Then it can be manually pushed in for travel and repair. And yes, I have roadside service that comes for a year from Jayco. However, it is a pay out of pocket and be reimbursed system. And this was a Sunday 250 miles from home. I have submitted a request to be reimbursed, but not holding my breath until i receive the check.

I had already decided that I will ask that they send someone here to check on the problem. The only affected lights are the living room lights. Everything else is working. Again, I have no quarrels with my dealer. He has been great through all of this. I just can't believe that the quality control on finished units is so bad.

Also, after reading several posts here about the "Denver Residential" mattress in these units sagging after a short time, I went ahead and purchased a mattress topper. I can't understand how saving $200 to put in a less than name brand mattress on a unit that is costing $40,000 plus is a make or break extra expense for Jayco.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

Sure sounds like a bad battery to me..

With SHORE POWER DISCONNECTED use a multimeter and measure across the battery terminals. If the battery is fully charged to should read 12.6-7VDC.

Then go plug into shore power. The Battery VOLTAGE at the terminals should jump to 13.6VDC or perhaps higher if your converter/charger is a smart mode charger unit.

This all tells you the converter/charger is good and the connections to the battery is good.

Both the DC OUTPUT of the Converter/charger and the BATTERY feed the same point on the 12VDC POWER DISTRIBUTION PANEL.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #9

IIRC if you unplug power to the bedroom slide controller you can push the slide in manually since that releases the brake. You may be able to do it by pulling the fuse. Just remember to put power back to relock the brake.

As to getting reimbursed. I do know they only cut checks once a month and I'll bet you get it. When I had to replace the a/c on the PINNACLE(under warranty 950 miles from my dealer) JAYCO authorized the repair. I mailed the receipts and got my check the next month.