Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #1

those with generators

looking at new designer with onan generator and I see that the generator in powered by gasoline instead of propane.
If you have one does the use and handling of the gas present any problems such as exhaust smells or spills of fuel.?
How long will it run on a tank of gas with 1 air runing?
How many gal. does it hold??
how do you carry extra gas?
Haul n it all is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #2

My designer has a gasoline onan and fuel consumption depends on load. My rule of thumb average is 1/2 gallon consumption per hour . A light load and it runs longer.

I bought a cheap funnel with long neck which eliminated the fuel spill issue. Exhaust is not an issue.

My generator gas tank full is 6 gallons. I carry 2 - 2 1/2 gallon tanks in reserve which gives me approx 22 hours run time. The extra cans I carry on the built in shelf right abover the generator fuel tank.

I also add one oz sta-bil fuel stabilizer to every 2 /1/2 gallon tank I buy. When not used, I try and run the generator every month for 15-20 minutes, even when we are not on the road. We do a lot of Wal-Mart and National Park camping and we use our generator about 60 hours per year.
kcconawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #3

My 08 came with the genset package. It has a built in, 14 gallon tank and I can get around 8 hrs or more with that on full load. My previous 5er had a propane fueled genset in it. I will NEVER go that route again. The tanks constantly froze up and having to take out a 30lb tank every time to get it filled was a pain.
crewcutz is offline   Reply With Quote